• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If the market team can’t market a flat ride, then maybe they shouldn’t be working in marketing. Any decent team would be able to market a turd if they wanted.

I still think a year when they add 3 or 4 basic flat rides would be really easy to market, “Alton towers add 4 new rides” etc

They've spent years purposely downgrading the park to make it cheaper to operate. After they've kitted out Duel and reopen Nemesis, I can't see that changing. It'll be tatty bye byes to the Retrosquad and that'll be your lot.

It’s so easy for them to re-market the Retro squad rides for 2024.
After travelling back and forth to their home planet over the past 3 years they decided they love Alton Towers and want to stay but to blend into their themed areas better they chance their appearance and name.

It’s so easy for them to re-market the Retro squad rides for 2024.
After travelling back and forth to their home planet over the past 3 years they decided they love Alton Towers and want to stay but to blend into their themed areas better they chance their appearance and name.

I’m not sure that marketing would really work for anyone over the age of 12.

Is it not ironic, the team who advertised travelleling fairground rides as the rather unique and inventive "retrosquad", cannot market flat rides......apparently. There seems to be more to this than meets the eye to be honest. Retrosquad marketing worked pretty well from a pure marketing perspective. Proof that they can market flat rides.

Can’t really understand how Chessington can have all theses new flats added but Alton Towers get hired flat rides.
Even Drayton added more new flat rides in a 12 month period than merlin have added in the past 15 years.

I could be wrong but maintenance is a massive reason I think. Towers have a lot more coasters than Chessington have which require testing every morning and plenty of maintenance throughout the season. A Woodie in particular is very labour intensive for a park.

If they opened 3/4 permanent flat rides that would come at quite a cost to buy them in the first place, staff them and then maintain them thereafter. The Retrosquad is obviously a much cheaper way of achieving a similar goal so you can see why they went that way from a business point of view. However I was dead against this from the start and was very vocal about it. These rides don't belong at the country's premier theme park in my opinion.

The most recent Nemesis drone video shows Funk'n'Fly is still in place. With Roller Disco gone and Spinjam packed up, I am surprised that it's just still sitting there, particularly with how unreliable it was.

The most recent Nemesis drone video shows Funk'n'Fly is still in place. With Roller Disco gone and Spinjam packed up, I am surprised that it's just still sitting there, particularly with how unreliable it was.
Given how poor it has been this season, probably the owner is willing to flog it off to clear his hands of such a troublesome ride. 😆

Wasn't it said somewhere that it is waiting a part from the manufacturer? If so, I'd imagine that's why it's not been touched yet.

Last edited:
That's what Thorpe did a few years ago, isn't it?
It was 2.5 new rides (after the fire they rushed in zodiac for the remainder of that season) then brought vortex and det. It was 2000 I think or maybe 2001. (They year prior to colossus). It was marketed as the POWER OF 3. And started cementing the idea thorpe was a thrill park. I believe this was the 3rd or 2nd year the park was owned by Tussaud's.

I don't know if you agree but these rides really do add to the lineup. I also believe rush and eclipse were both brought in at the same time? Thorpe does have a far more dynamic range of rides and filler attractions and these cheap fairground rides have stopped me from wanting to visit Alton the last 2 years. I want an immersive experience not a cheap knock off 'theme' park.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.