• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I never really got much of a spin on Roller Disco, did anyone have much luck? Usually I find waltzers need extra motors or a staff member to get spinning properly.
Yeah I got quite a good spin almost all times. Key is don't overload the car (there were 3 adults in my car) and it was just a question of everyone leaning to the correct side at the right time on a hump. Keep doing that and you span a lot. It was a bit like a swing - put your legs in and out on a swing at the right times and you swing harder and higher, get it wrong and you don't go anywhere!

For me Roller Disco was perfect, as I cannot handle fairground waltzers where you are spun - I think I have a sign written on my forehead that is only visible by waltzer staff that says "I hate being spun so spin my car fast!"

Is the replacement even going to be in Dark Forest? Could take Enterprise's spot instead, although DF needs something in case Rita or Thirteen (or both) go down.

The name Twistatron would fit the rumoured star fighter. As I’ve said, Bumper has been referred to as the bot that clicks the names. The new ride is clearly one of the six names displayed

Is the replacement even going to be in Dark Forest? Could take Enterprise's spot instead, although DF needs something in case Rita or Thirteen (or both) go down.
“When” they go down.

Would be good to see one in dark forest and two in X Sector.

The new names sound good be interesting to see what turns up glad roller Disco has gone can’t stand the waltzer

Unfortunately I doubt Towers would do bumper cars due to the risk of injury. Personally I've always enjoyed bumper cars so would love to see them there.

Why would Merlin not allow bumper cars at Towers but yet have the King Pig’s dodgems at Thorpe?

Whatever it is they're getting - this is the third year in a row that the park have had to hire in rides. The biggest park in the country.

I could get the idea in 2021 - covid meant that indoor attractions had to be shut longer, so they were there as padding. Wasn't the best thing in the world, but it was understandable given the circumstances. They probably realised they're the captains of hindsight with The Great Flat Ride Genocide of 2015.

2022 - sigh, ok, keep them for another year. They proved popular enough and (hopefully) were a case for permanent, themed installations. As a stop gap before some hopeful development - yeah, alright then I guess.

2023 - this is hilarious. Yes, ride availability has taken a massive hit with Nemesis being down for the season - but surely it's about time we got something more permanent? Right? Eight years since the flats started to be culled off and it's really, really wearing thin now. Especially now Enterprise has run its course - we have one permanent flat left, and that's a dilapidated pirate ship.

Tussauds stepped in and wanted to make the park something other than a "funfair in the woods with rollercoasters". Oh, how the tide has turned...

Don’t forget there’s a certain beast that’s been woken up in Forbidden Valley that won’t be thrilling us this year - without that, they’ll want a temporary ride but come 2024 I’d expect to see them go.

God I hate this.

I hate this so much,
At least Towers are trying to fix the flat ride problem. However, they should have actually tried to theme the rides into the respective areas. All of the Retro Squad stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps you could try to talk to someone at Alton like you did about the dreadful Fanta sponsorship of 2011?

At least Towers are trying to fix the flat ride problem.
I would argue that they are not.

The Retro Squad demonstrates that the park are aware of the problem, but mitigation is not a fix. At this stage, there's been more than enough time for them to start applying the fix. The fact they have not is just confirmation of the problem.

It also, alongside examples like the Aramark deal, puts a pin in the thought that Merlin has in any way changed in the past 5 years. It's the same problematic company, churning out the same problematic business plan.

What flat ride problem? These rides are helping to get the "I only got on X rides" complaints/feedback down, one of the most toxic narratives for a theme park.

What flat ride problem? These rides are helping to get the "I only got on X rides" complaints/feedback down, one of the most toxic narratives for a theme park.

Really though they’d fix the “I only got on X rides” complaint better by investing in high throughput supporting rides. I’d imagine that the PPH for Flávio’s and Funk N’ Fly are both quite low due to the operations on them.

Maybe it's easier to have them on lease/hire in terms of being condemned to maintain the damn things, and offers a rotating line-up.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.