• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Since when are fair rides designed to be comfortable. They're supposed to be weird wacky and out of control
Ok Bianca,

Nothing about my post suggests they should be, it was an evaluation of my experience on the ride. It was none of the above either. It’s like a wheel trim that fell off a car and you watch as it gradually comes to a stop on the road. Unfortunately it’s not then run over and destroyed forever in this case.

Instead of the sniping replies, perhaps we could discuss and debate sensibly. Can we also note that this is a discussion about Retrosquad and what should replace the soon to be removed rides. It's not a place to debate your own personal preferences (everyone's different, and that's fine), but more to suggest what changes might be best for the park and the guests that visit.

I think what Towers need to replace Retrosquad is permanent (or at least semi-permanent) flat rides with fairly decent capacity. Ideally different to things you could easily come across at a travelling fair. Not an easy one to achieve though as by their nature, flat rides tend to have pretty low capacity.

My favourite fairground ride on the UK circuit - Danters' AIR (a Zeirer Star-shape) started as a 510 riders per hour capacity, but they have removed a seat off each arm of the star now, so make this 400 riders per hour now. Given how Towers would operate such a ride, i.e. erring way on the side of health & safety, capacity would be further reduced.

It's a difficult one for Merlin / Towers. Alton Towers is supposedly the No1 Theme Park in the UK, so we need a different & well themed product offer to differentiate them from the travelling fair competition.

I think what Towers need to replace Retrosquad is permanent (or at least semi-permanent) flat rides with fairly decent capacity. Ideally different to things you could easily come across at a travelling fair. Not an easy one to achieve though as by their nature, flat rides tend to have pretty low capacity.

My favourite fairground ride on the UK circuit - Danters' AIR (a Zeirer Star-shape) started as a 510 riders per hour capacity, but they have removed a seat off each arm of the star now, so make this 400 riders per hour now. Given how Towers would operate such a ride, i.e. erring way on the side of health & safety, capacity would be further reduced.

It's a difficult one for Merlin / Towers. Alton Towers is supposedly the No1 Theme Park in the UK, so we need a different & well themed product offer to differentiate them from the travelling fair competition.
A Zierer Star Shape would be awesome (always wanted to ride one myself) but way too tall unfortunately. They'd have to dig another massive pit to put it in. There are a few permanent versions out there, most notably Mechanica at Liseberg.

A Zierer Star Shape would be awesome (always wanted to ride one myself) but way too tall unfortunately. They'd have to dig another massive pit to put it in. There are a few permanent versions out there, most notably Mechanica at Liseberg.
Slightly OT, but if you want to ride Danters' AIR & you're near Birmingham, it's in Centenary Square (right next to the ICC) until early January. Opens tomorrow.

When you see the Paris Walt Disney Studio area you can't help think Alton are missing a trick with putting more things indoors. Think Spinball v Crushers for example. Marvel area especially. That's a Rollercoaster, interaction ride and right around the corner the Hotel drop ride. Less objections for noise. Dryer guests. More heat taken away from the big coasters.

When you see the Paris Walt Disney Studio area you can't help think Alton are missing a trick with putting more things indoors. Think Spinball v Crushers for example. Marvel area especially. That's a Rollercoaster, interaction ride and right around the corner the Hotel drop ride. Less objections for noise. Dryer guests. More heat taken away from the big coasters.
They're sort of running out of room for buildings I imagine. Even if they kept say the tent to the Black Hole where could they have moved it to?

They're sort of running out of room for buildings I imagine. Even if they kept say the tent to the Black Hole where could they have moved it to?

Where the new indoor coaster is going perhaps? Behind TWODW. The area is certainly big enough and the building is smaller than what has just been approved.

For anyone interested, Virtual Towers tested what it could look like if an Intamin Gyroswing was placed onto the blade site. Everything is to scale, this kind of supports it would be feasible with the correct depth of foundations...

FB_IMG_1698930038444.jpg
FB_IMG_1698930043993.jpg
FB_IMG_1698930047875.jpg
FB_IMG_1698930052093.jpg

Last edited:
Even if it's only technically visible when the ride is in motion, I doubt that'd get permission unless a deeper pit was excavated. Considering FV is one of the higher points of the park, and sound travels further when higher, both the visuals and the sound would likely irritate the locals.

Whilst a gyroswing would be a lot of fun, it'd only really make sense if they also relocated Blade (or bought a new model outright) so the number of flats increases rather than staying the same. Yes, they're both similar, but one is more suitable for families, the other thrillseekers.

Even if it's only technically visible when the ride is in motion, I doubt that'd get permission unless a deeper pit was excavated. Considering FV is one of the higher points of the park, and sound travels further when higher, both the visuals and the sound would likely irritate the locals.

Whilst a gyroswing would be a lot of fun, it'd only really make sense if they also relocated Blade (or bought a new model outright) so the number of flats increases rather than staying the same. Yes, they're both similar, but one is more suitable for families, the other thrillseekers.
Yep no way they would allow that type of ride there.

If sound is a problem then how did they ever get permission for Nemesis. You can here that thing from a mile away

If sound is a problem then how did they ever get permission for Nemesis. You can here that thing from a mile away
We mustn't forget how they had to remove a lot of speakers in the queue several years back due to the noise pollution, and also how the new version is (allegedly) being filled with sand to dull the sound. The noise from a gyroswing would likely be teenagers screaming their lungs out - which I'd wager is much more offensive than the rumbling of Nemesis, which I guess could be compared to traffic.

So you're saying noise pollution isn't an issue? Even though it clearly is when it comes to council permission
The point is answered above. People screaming every time it goes to it's highest point will be far more intrusive than a rumble of a train going around a track. You can hear it near thirteen and Rita but depends on wind direction. Doubt you'd hear it (much) a mile outside the park. Thunder Looper for example you could see and hear from outside the park.
Nice try but Nemmy staying for another 30 years ;)

The point is answered above. People screaming every time it goes to it's highest point will be far more intrusive than a rumble of a train going around a track. You can hear it near thirteen and Rita but depends on wind direction. Doubt you'd hear it (much) a mile outside the park. Thunder Looper for example you could see and hear from outside the park.
Nice try but Nemmy staying for another 30 years ;)
You can hear Nemesis roaring round significantly more often than people screaming on rides. I have heard Nemesis from Alton much more than people screaming

You can hear Nemesis roaring round significantly more often than people screaming on rides. I have heard Nemesis from Alton much more than people screaming
1698949957217.jpeg

You are bound to hear something, it’s within the vicinity of a quiet village with the UK’s biggest theme park inside it.

It was widely reported the reason they took the speaker down from Oblivion is the screams were causing concern for the residents in the nearby houses. Many rides around the world try to suppress noise at the highest points with walls/barriers and guards. Nemesis is basically a massive speaker but it’s a faint noise when you stand in dark forest. Nothing more. I can’t imagine hearing it over oblivion etc from Alton.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.