• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
No chance with the first one
They really need to start thinking about getting some flat rides that are covered even with just a canopy, like marauders mayhem, not only does it help keep the ride operational in bad weather it probably prolongs the life of it too. You've got to remember that not everyone wants to be spun around at 100mph turned upside down and inside out again.

No chance with the first one
They really need to start thinking about getting some flat rides that are covered even with just a canopy, like marauders mayhem, not only does it help keep the ride operational in bad weather it probably prolongs the life of it too. You've got to remember that not everyone wants to be spun around at 100mph turned upside down and inside out again.
A dodgems would be a good fit, maybe some kind of boat theme and you could fit it into Mutiny Bay somehow (remove the arcade and extend towards the carpark, removing some of the trees), adds another undercover ride and in an area that they usually want to open in the winter weekends. Dodgems are good fun and pretty much all-ages. Or some kind of whip ride like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at DCA or Alien Swirling Saucers at DHS, those could also suit a boat and trailer type theme I expect.

A proper Rip Saw replacement will also be needed, but they could definitly add more kids rides that aren't CBeebies for those who don't want coasters.

A dodgems would be a good fit, maybe some kind of boat theme and you could fit it into Mutiny Bay somehow (remove the arcade and extend towards the carpark, removing some of the trees), adds another undercover ride and in an area that they usually want to open in the winter weekends. Dodgems are good fun and pretty much all-ages. Or some kind of whip ride like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at DCA or Alien Swirling Saucers at DHS, those could also suit a boat and trailer type theme I expect.

A proper Rip Saw replacement will also be needed, but they could definitly add more kids rides that aren't CBeebies for those who don't want coasters.
X-Sector is the big worry next year. If it operates with just Smiler and Oblivion then we could see some record breaking queues

Nah, dodgems are way below the standard Towers should be aiming for. Not to mention, they are one of the biggest causes of injuries to riders in the whole industry.

Pretty much any turntable based ride will be easy to put a cover over though. I say bring back a Breakdance.

They could do worse than getting a clone of Ostrich Stampede.

Enthusiasts hate it as it’s too tame and boring and so on but my kids and everyone younger around the 1.2m mark absoutely loved it the two times I’ve been to Chessington this year. Maybe wouldn’t fit in forbidden valley or x sector but they could put something down by 13 where the waltzer used to be.

Realistically whatever replaces the retrosquad will never be enough for some of the enthusiasts and draw ire as it will always just be “another rethemed fairground ride”

Last edited:
Yes X Sector is in dire need of a family thrill ride. Rubbish for little ones down there if you don’t split with your group.
I think some of the problem with AT is that it has to be a jack of all trades.

Eg chessington apart from one ride is all 1.2m and under so caters for the “junior” crowd, and Thorpe park is almost all over 1.4m thrill rides. AT is stuck in the middle with the gamut all the way from infants to the adult thrillseekers and coaster nerds so whatever they do they will never please everyone.

I think some of the problem with AT is that it has to be a jack of all trades.

Eg chessington apart from one ride is all 1.2m and under so caters for the “junior” crowd, and Thorpe park is almost all over 1.4m thrill rides. AT is stuck in the middle with the gamut all the way from infants to the adult thrillseekers and coaster nerds so whatever they do they will never please everyone.
But it always has been that way for 30+ years. In fact before Oblivion & Air, Nemesis (and later Ripsaw) were the only 1.4m height restriction rides, similar to Chessington. Its only in the last 10-15 years where the park hasn't really had much for the 1.2m tall crowd. Closing things like Enterprise, boneshaker and Twirling Toadstool has really cut down on the number of family thrills.

Nah, dodgems are way below the standard Towers should be aiming for. Not to mention, they are one of the biggest causes of injuries to riders in the whole industry.

Pretty much any turntable based ride will be easy to put a cover over though. I say bring back a Breakdance.
Dodgems to me are just one of those things though where it is definitly fun for all ages (until someone does smash their nose). But yes any turntable ride would work undercover.

X-Sector is the big worry next year. If it operates with just Smiler and Oblivion then we could see some record breaking queues
I agree its the weakest part of the park now for ride variety, with Dark Forest second. But in the context of undercover rides Mutiny Bay makes more sense as it is more likely to open in the winter, as Sharkbait Reef would open and the area is closer to the entrance. But yes X Sector, then Dark Forest then Forbidden Valley and then other areas all need new flat rides. The Walliams Cuckoo land also needs attention, but opening the 4D cinema/theatre would go a long way to helping that area.

But it always has been that way for 30+ years. In fact before Oblivion & Air, Nemesis (and later Ripsaw) were the only 1.4m height restriction rides, similar to Chessington. Its only in the last 10-15 years where the park hasn't really had much for the 1.2m tall crowd. Closing things like Enterprise, boneshaker and Twirling Toadstool has really cut down on the number of family thrills.

Dodgems to me are just one of those things though where it is definitly fun for all ages (until someone does smash their nose). But yes any turntable ride would work undercover.

I agree its the weakest part of the park now for ride variety, with Dark Forest second. But in the context of undercover rides Mutiny Bay makes more sense as it is more likely to open in the winter, as Sharkbait Reef would open and the area is closer to the entrance. But yes X Sector, then Dark Forest then Forbidden Valley and then other areas all need new flat rides. The Walliams Cuckoo land also needs attention, but opening the 4D cinema/theatre would go a long way to helping that area.

If no rides do go into x-sector replacing the retro squad then they could do a lot worse than open up the road/new path to David Walliams, massively improving guest flow imo

They could do worse than getting a clone of Ostrich Stampede.

Enthusiasts hate it as it’s too tame and boring and so on but my kids and everyone younger around the 1.2m mark absoutely loved it the two times I’ve been to Chessington this year. Maybe wouldn’t fit in forbidden valley or x sector but they could put something down by 13 where the waltzer used to be.

Realistically whatever replaces the retrosquad will never be enough for some of the enthusiasts and draw ire as it will always just be “another rethemed fairground ride”

Ostrich Stampede is utter crap. Very poorly built. It is about 1/4 as powerful as properly manufactured fairground units and it broke by 3 people sitting one one of the arms.

Towers should be aiming for the highest quality rides, not cheap SBF tat

Axis at Adventure Island is basically the same ride as Atmosfear that I have previously mentioned. Key difference is it has a higher capacity. Only problem could be the height when the ride reaches the top. Not sure what location it could go.

Axis and Atmosfear are actually quite different frisbee rides in terms of the experience they give.

Axis is a SPF Visa Maxi Dance Party 360 and it’s very much about the great hang time it gives as you invert at the top of its swing. It’s very much like a classic frisbee ride except that it goes all the way over.

Atmosfear is a Technical Park Loop Fighter and whilst it also inverts the key to it is that the Booster like seating gondolas can be unlocked during the cycle so that they rotate back and forth. This adds a random element to the ride and makes it much more intense as you feel like you are about to be tipped out of your seat as you swing through the air. It’s an absolutely fantastic ride and it can be pretty intense and more nerve wracking than your typical frisbee ride.

With regards to the Zierer flying carpet suggestion I think that would be an excellent choice for Towers. Monsunen at Tivoli gardens is a great ride. It’s thrilling without being too intense, is a lot of fun, looks nice, and very importantly it has great capacity. One of those would be very welcome at AT.

Last edited:
Imagine a Kamikaze in Spinjams place! I think that'd be great and the confined/caged vehicles you sit in would go well with X-Sectors theme of guests being test subjects of mysterious experiments. A nice Oblivion Dark Grey and dark red would look great on it personally. It'd be cool seeing that thing operate whilst in Oblivions brake run.
kamikaze-fabri.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine a Kamikaze in Spinjams place! I think that'd be great and the confined/caged vehicles you sit in would go well with X-Sectors theme of guests being test subjects of mysterious experiments. A nice Oblivion Dark Grey and dark red would look great on it personally. It'd be cool seeing that thing operate whilst in Oblivions brake run.
kamikaze-fabri.jpg

They had a Double Swinging Inverter before from Chance. It, like the above, was awful.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.