• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Imagine a Kamikaze in Spinjams place! I think that'd be great and the confined/caged vehicles you sit in would go well with X-Sectors theme of guests being test subjects of mysterious experiments. A nice Oblivion Dark Grey and dark red would look great on it personally. It'd be cool seeing that thing operate whilst in Oblivions brake run.
kamikaze-fabri.jpg
Submission was a terrible ride which had low ridership and was removed as a result. I don't think it's wise to replace it with something that's also a pretty terrible ride and what many members of the public would view as being pretty much the same ride.

Just like many of their coasters, additions to Towers should be innovative and unique. While I can accept the initial "temporary" decision for Retrosquad, we've waited so long for proper permanent new additions, so they absolutely have to stick to that same ethos.

No no no, they can’t be installing something so cheap and old. That would be a step down from retrosquad.
Well, perhaps a modernised version. I definitely wouldn't want one that's been travelling around the world for over 3 decades and all ran down. It'd be preferable to see a brand new one, or the floorless model that Zamperla supply but heavily themed.

Axis and Atmosfear are actually quite different frisbee rides in terms of the experience they give.

Axis is a SPF Visa Maxi Dance Party 360 and it’s very much about the great hang time it gives as you invert at the top of its swing. It’s very much like a classic frisbee ride except that it goes all the way over.

Atmosfear is a Technical Park Loop Fighter and whilst it also inverts the key to it is that the Booster like seating gondolas can be unlocked during the cycle so that they rotate back and forth. This adds a random element to the ride and makes it much more intense as you feel like you are about to be tipped out of your seat as you swing through the air. It’s an absolutely fantastic ride and it can be pretty intense and more nerve wracking than your typical frisbee ride.

With regards to the Zierer flying carpet suggestion I think that would be an excellent choice for Towers. Monsunen at Tivoli gardens is a great ride. It’s thrilling without being too intense, is a lot of fun, looks nice, and very importantly it has great capacity. One of those would be very welcome at AT.
Well yes the seats swing on Atmosfear so it is slightly different but I meant they're the same in terms of going all the way over and hanging you upside down. Anyway I really wouldn't mind a tivoli extreme like Spinjam coming back as a permanent edition. Theme it and do whatever they want with it but the ride experience is fantastic. Always one of the best rides at a fair

Have I missed something about new flats being rumoured?

Nemesis 2.0 next year, SW9 the year after.......we won't.be seeing any new flat rides for quite a while I wouldn't have thought and possibly not at all.

Nemesis 2.0 next year, SW9 the year after.......we won't.be seeing any new flat rides for quite a while I wouldn't have thought and possibly not at all.
This is true there's no guarantee any new flats are coming any time soon. This is why in my opinion they should've kept the retro until they had planned replacements for the following season. Now we're likely to just have 3 empty spaces. Would people rather have empty spaces just for the sake of 'bringing back the theme of the areas'. I don't understand why towers didn't buy the retro rides and theme them to the area they're in. That way they'd look permanent and no one would complain. They missed an opportunity there

TLDR Retrosquad was a necessary evil and replacement for capacity issues, from past bad decisions, whilst the park recovered from COVID. Previous conversations with Merlin staff / announcements have suggested that the Retrosquad would only be replaced with permanent additions. Retrosquad gone = permanent flats, at least in theory.

In the interview with TT Bianca did say that flats will come in the future.

At the risk of sounding like Arsene Wenger trying to claim that a player who’d been out injured for months would be like a ‘new signing’ everytime Arsenal underwhelmed in the transfer market, I suspect that the hopeful return of Hex in 2024 will go some way to deal with the capacity reduction from the loss of the RT.

I’d be almost certain that replacements will be en route; as I’ve said before I don’t think it will be or needs to be one in, one out, I think two replacements for them would be a really good start and I’d argue that could be done within a three year period.

Personally I think it’s fairly obvious that it’s being planned as I just can’t see the park drafting them in then pulling them without replacing them with something similar.

Scrap Oktoberfest and Mardis Gra and move Festival of Thrills to summer where it belongs…

There’s one flat for you.

Open a shop on the “other” side of towers street so the other 50% of guests that leave the park walk past a shop…

There’s the other one.

Use the money from Dungeons for the other…

I think that there is an appreciation within management, both at Towers and Merlin, that new flats are needed in the park. I don't expect anything next year, however would not be surprised to see a new flat open alongside Horizon in 2025 (if Horizon is 2025). And then more to come in the following years.

As for what they get, who knows! I personally love gyro swings but I'm not sure one is suitable in terms of size and the fact Drayton have one may go against the idea.

Scrap Oktoberfest and Mardis Gra and move Festival of Thrills to summer where it belongs…
I hope your post was sarcastic and tongue in cheek but if not - absolutely not scrap Oktoberfest and Mardi Gras - we were all screaming out for events from Towers for years pre-Covid and now we have them and they are extremely popular you want them scrapped? Rather than divert money around the park between events and rides, they need more money given to them from Merlin to get any new additions.

TTPW said something similar in his Fireworks vlog - he'd like to see some events scrapped or scaled down to allow more investment into Scarefest...no they just need extra money given to them for Scarefest without reducing the other events.

Nemesis is like 1000+ pph if run well, right?

Hex is another few hundred. Skyride too...

I expect that more than covers the 'deficit' from the 4 hired rides having witnessed their operation.

To be honest, if more money is left after getting those 3 rides open again I'd prefer it was spent on reliability enhancements for Air/Oblivion. I know it shouldn't be an either/or but that is likely the reality, and the park being without a flat ride for a season is less damaging than being without one of their throughput-crunching rollercoasters during their busiest portions of the season.

I’m pretty convinced a new flat is going into FV for next year.

Also, although the Retro Squad are leaving who’s to say they don’t get a few other temporary flats in? We know Flávio’s is staying a bit longer.

I’m pretty convinced a new flat is going into FV for next year.
Don't towers need planning permission for any permanent rides? If so then surely its too late now for anything to come next year because March is only a few months away

It would be very bad if, at the absolute minimum, a new flat wasn’t added to FV. I can sort of understand holding off on X Sector for now (especially with Hex back, and a more solid plan to sort it in a future season), but FV is going to struggle big time without some sort of extra capacity . I guess the main thing to consider is there’s going to be so many more people in FV compared to this season with “just” Galactica (and Sub Terra in the latter part). Nemmy is a capacity monster of course but I’ve got a feeling even it is going to struggle.

The planning permission and works around the Ripsaw area are a good indicator that something is coming, I’m just praying it’s not going to be a cheap hack job like we’ve seen with the flats in World of Jumanji. That would actually be worse than nothing.

Don't towers need planning permission for any permanent rides? If so then surely its too late now for anything to come next year because March is only a few months away
Not if the ride is going to be in an area covered by permitted development and the ride is less than 25m high. The Smiler for example only needed planning permission for the larger than permitted buildings and not the coaster itself.

Having said that, I do not expect a new flat in 2024.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.