• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Assuming if we do see a flat ride in FV next year, it would have to marketed with the Phalanx as what we saw with Sub Terra. As much as I'd love to see a Ripsaw V2 (floorless version) next year, I'm not sure how you could market it as the FV of 1997 and 2024 are two different places in truth Ripsaw's theme of the day could have only worked in that Mad Max type setting and likely not the new look FV of 2024 so I'm not sure what they could put in there, then again they do have Blade still in its unchanged theme from before so it could be interesting to see what changes we might see with Blade in turn.

A ride is a ride extra capacity is always better than none. That's why I didn't mind the retrosquad they served a purpose
With non-permanent stuff I see your point as it can just be torn out with minimal fuss or cost, but when you’re putting capital down on an investment that’s needing to last for however many years then a half-arsed job can be worse than just saving the money for a more substantive investment later.

I'm not sure if they needed permission with the new shop as it's change of use from a food outlet to a shop. Any new flat ride that isn't enormous would be under the GDO

With non-permanent stuff I see your point as it can just be torn out with minimal fuss or cost, but when you’re putting capital down on an investment that’s needing to last for however many years then a half-arsed job can be worse than just saving the money for a more substantive investment later.
That's true but I highly doubt towers would invest in a poor flat ride anyway. The retro rides were temporary so they don't really show or indicate that any new flats will be of the same level

Imagine you've walked to the bottom of that steep decline into X Sector, Oblivion suddenly goes down for 30 mins whilst tech services are on the way and the Smiler queue is being evacuated because a high wind speed has been recorded. I don't think having 5 rides in FV at the complete opposite end of the park will be much consolation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they needed permission with the new shop as it's change of use from a food outlet to a shop. Any new flat ride that isn't enormous would be under the GDO
I did wonder about that, it's not entirely clear why the shop needed planning permission. The site is definitely on the edge of the GDO area, so I can only imagine that either it (or more likely the groundworks proposed to the service yard behind) cross that boundary.

Certainly, all the sites occupied by The Retro Squad are within the GDO, however.

They were about mitigation for Covid initially, to bolster the "rides per day" metric and associated negative feedback.

They then were seen as a useful mitigation tool while over 1,000 per hour capacity was lost during Nemesis' year out.

Given their hideous reliability issues this season, the departure of three flats might actually be seen as a major positive. Adding even one new flat would increase the need for operational and maintenance resource, in a year they are getting Nemesis back and have Sub-Terra (if they want to keep it open). To me, from what we have seen from operations, there is no likelihood they want new flats to be brought in next year - but funnier things have happened.

Given their hideous reliability issues this season, the departure of three flats might actually be seen as a major positive. Adding even one new flat would increase the need for operational and maintenance resource, in a year they are getting Nemesis back and have Sub-Terra (if they want to keep it open). To me, from what we have seen from operations, there is no likelihood they want new flats to be brought in next year - but funnier things have happened.

The retro squad rides weren't maintained by Towers and they only required three hosts between them (four including flavios) so their loss will be negligible, operationally.

A lot of the yo-yoing going on this year can be put down to an overabundance of caution. If anything doesn't look, sound, smell etc. right, the ride will be called down first and then the cause investigated. More often than not nothing is found and the ride reopens.
Very frustrating for guests, but difficult to argue against.

Compensatory packages are still given to those evacuated from rides, but I think it's generally just return tickets and a couple of bits and bobs now, nothing is given to anyone waiting.

Just been to Loughborough fair for couple hours. One of the rides there called Exciter is an extreme version of Funk'n'Fly and I have to say the difference is crazy. Made me realise how tame Funk was because Exciter was absolutely bonkers. Extremely intense and not for faint hearted. I understand why towers bought in a family version because that was probably too much for most people

Just been to Loughborough fair for couple hours. One of the rides there called Exciter is an extreme version of Funk'n'Fly and I have to say the difference is crazy. Made me realise how tame Funk was because Exciter was absolutely bonkers. Extremely intense and not for faint hearted. I understand why towers bought in a family version because that was probably too much for most people
Towers didn't run any of the retro squad rides on the funfair cycles, the waltzer being the tamest cycle and spinjam being the most extreme although still not the crazy manual cycles you'll see on the funfair circuits, funk n fly and mixtape being ran somewhere in the middle of tame but a slight hint of intensity.

Exciter as in Dane Crow's Tivoli Warp 10? It's an entirely different beast with a very different setup, despite looking vaguely similar. Unique as well.

Exciter as in Dane Crow's Tivoli Warp 10? It's an entirely different beast with a very different setup, despite looking vaguely similar. Unique as well.
Yes that is the one. The rides do the same thing spin round and then go to a steeper angle. Exciter is just much faster and extremely forceful

Is it really any taller than the likes of Ripsaw or Submission?

Might be seen as a bit too retro by the park but they're still good rides when run properly, I certainly wouldn't say no to one.

Submission was approx 48ft, Suspended magic carpet is about 42ft. So plenty of places they could fit one in the park.

They had a magic carpet ride a long time ago and it fit comfortably under the tree line back then.

I would of thought one of those picture above could fit in many places around the park without breaking tree height.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.