• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sorry for double posting, but does anyone know the status of Flavio's Fabulous Fandango and whether that (or a replacement) is returning/being installed?

Do we know if Jumper Jump is still in this country? Could it have been sold and that’s why it’s not coming back?

I’d also like to assume that Towers are just going to get another fair ground attraction in. Miami anyone? That’s a joke by the way.

Unless of course there is a permanent flat being installed on the Mixtape site for 2022 and that is why it isn’t returning?

Chessington appear to be aiming for a summer opening for their new flats, could Towers be the same with this one? Due to the location planning permission wouldn’t be needed.

Unless of course there is a permanent flat being installed on the Mixtape site for 2022 and that is why it isn’t returning?

Chessington appear to be aiming for a summer opening for their new flats, could Towers be the same with this one? Due to the location planning permission wouldn’t be needed.
I thought this could be a possibility but wouldn’t a name trademark have appeared by now? I don’t really know how these things work so maybe not I’m sure someone could correct me otherwise!

I thought this could be a possibility but wouldn’t a name trademark have appeared by now? I don’t really know how these things work so maybe not I’m sure someone could correct me otherwise!
Not necessarily, trademarks can be filed pretty quickly, also perhaps the name isn't unique or they are using one they already have trademarked.

Might retro-squad future make more sense given the style of discussion in here and that it's in the future section of the forum?
Good point. The topic could sit in both general and future discussions. I’ve since changed the thread title from one year wonder because it’s clear from recent announcements that the Retrosquad is not a one year wonder.

Good point. The topic could sit in both general and future discussions. I’ve since changed the thread title from one year wonder because it’s clear from recent announcements that the Retrosquad is not a one year wonder.
Indeed but on the topic of the thread I really hope it’s a two year wonder so to speak. Fairgrounds rides in one of the best theme parks in the world (yes I did just write that, it’s a special place) isn’t ideal and should be a matter of pride.

Mixtape Was the best ride of the retro’s quad but during Scarefest having 3 arms out of action and the stupid amount of time it took to load and unload I would have liked to see it replaced with a breakdancer.
It had four arms out of action when I visited! Ended up waiting an hour for it when the queue time was displayed as 0. :oops:
It opened late too actually.
A great ride, but definitely not worth a 60 minute wait. :p

Last edited:
I think the most I ever waited for a Retro Squad ride was 15 minutes for Mixtape, and 10 for Funk’n’Fly and Roller Disco. Wouldn’t want to wait much more but my opinion is still that it was nice to be queueing for something that wasn’t just coaster after coaster.

I don’t know how true this is but I think it’s feasible as I visited when Funk N Fly was down but I’ve read some comments regarding the Waltzer & Funk N Fly.

Apparently neither showman who own the rides are keen on returning the Waltzer because it’s brand new and hasn’t been out on the circuit yet to make money which makes sense.

Funk N Fly because it burnt out two motors last year and another issue with it but can’t remember what it was. And obviously the showman aren’t keen on the same happening again.

I also don’t know how true it is but would make sense, that they were getting fined for everyday it was closed. So if any machines we do get this year could potentially be different showmen!

I don’t know how true this is but I think it’s feasible as I visited when Funk N Fly was down but I’ve read some comments regarding the Waltzer & Funk N Fly.

Apparently neither showman who own the rides are keen on returning the Waltzer because it’s brand new and hasn’t been out on the circuit yet to make money which makes sense.

Funk N Fly because it burnt out two motors last year and another issue with it but can’t remember what it was. And obviously the showman aren’t keen on the same happening again.

I also don’t know how true it is but would make sense, that they were getting fined for everyday it was closed. So if any machines we do get this year could potentially be different showmen!
It's fairly usual for a contract which involves the hire of a physical item, including set up, operation, safety etc to incur penalties when the service provider is unable to fulfil their obligations.

If you view it the other way - if they lost a day of operation at a fair, they wouldn't get a discount on their plot or a consolation payment to the cashbox.

I'm not sure I see why the age of a machine is relevant - if anything having it in one place for a whole season would be a bonus because the ware and tare incurred on these things will mostly be during repeated transport, construction and disassembly I'd have thought?

The point that rings possibly truest is that the maintenance regime of the machines suffered from not not being operated for a few days, weeks at most and then completely dismantled. I can see that would be a challenge.

I said this a year ago but having brightly coloured fairground rides at Alton Towers really isn’t a great look in my opinion.

I had hoped that their inclusion (and success) last year would have meant the addition of another flat ride this year but instead they’ve contracted them for another season except with one less which is the worst of both worlds really.

I’m still fairly confident that the fact they’ve included them again is suggestive that they accept that having more rides and more variation of rides in a theme park is generally a good thing (who knew?) and that it probably will lead to permanent flats in their place but It would be nice if they’d hurry up with it and avoid there being random garish fairground rides sitting around in themed areas of the park. The logical approach, for example would be to reopen the already themed, already (relatively) popular flat ride which has been sat in a disused building for 7 years rather than installing a purple lighted fairground ride directly opposite it in an area which is meant to be post apocalyptic but clearly Merlin disagree

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.