• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wonder why they won’t get rid of it?

Anyway, to try get back on topic ( I know I probably veered it off a little) but I wonder if the Retro Squad do return, if/how much of a different iteration of them we will see.

Do u think cause they they travelling rides they usually only spend 2-3 weeks max at each site so it’s inspected every time it’s put up and down where they spent at Alton Towers for roughly 8 months then go somewhere else for the winter season. Both Funk and fly and roller disco have been used a lot since April last year and they now showing with Funk and fly it needs maintenance more often.

I wonder why they won’t get rid of it?

Anyway, to try get back on topic ( I know I probably veered it off a little) but I wonder if the Retro Squad do return, if/how much of a different iteration of them we will see.
Well in the advert there is quite a few names left that they could use.

Maybe they could just get a Zamperla flat ride package - get an Endeavour for where Enterprise is, a Discovery for The Blade (maybe you'd have to did further idk), Air Race themed to space to fit with Galactica for Funk'n'Fly's spot, Nebulaz and theme it to some form of twisted willow in Roller Disco's space, and maybe a Twist n Bounce for where Spinjam is. I know Zamperla flats aren't everyone's cup of tea but can't you often get cheap(er) package deals from Zamperla?

Either way, it's clear the Retro Squad aren't cutting it, ride wise, or reliability wise.

Last edited:
Maybe they could just get a Zamperla flat ride package - get an Endeavour for where Enterprise is, a Discovery for The Blade (maybe you'd have to did further idk), Air Race themed to space to fit with Galactica for Funk'n'Fly's spot, Nebulaz and theme it to some form of twisted willow in Roller Disco's space, and maybe a Twist n Bounce for where Spinjam is. I know Zamperla flats aren't everyone's cup of tea but can't you often get cheap(er) package deals from Zamperla?

Either way, it's clear the Retro Squad aren't cutting it, ride wise, or reliability wise.

Nebulazes (or is it Nebulai?) look great to look at but their throughput really isn’t great at all, personally I’d hope for Towers to get a flat ride at some point that really eats through the crowd. I wouldn’t say no to an Intamin Giant Swing (tree line height permitting of course).

Huss? Fabbri? Sartoni?
As I said with Huss, in my ideal world if we still had Ripsaw, Merlin would decide to kill three birds with one stone by replacing Ripsaw, Enterprise and Blade with the newer models from Huss with that gimmicky 'Remastered' malarkey which the latter two mostly that it they would have least a few more decades of service for the park.

Huss Suspended Top Spin, Enterprise, Pirate Ship, Breakdance #2 (the larger one)
Mondial Shake
Technical Park Typhoon 360
The designs for the Northern Amusements Superstar have apparently just been mooted for resurrection and they're great.

That's without them trying to get a new design ride from somewhere

Now someone might correct me here but if I remember a few years ago during some Q&A event that Merlin didn't want to have any new flat rides at any of their parks as they weren't marketable unlike coasters which is why we saw no replacements for any flat ride that left?

Not sure if that is still their mindset on flat rides or even if they've realised by now that it is a stupid mindset that badly handicaps them, that said I suspect that the flat ride issue hasn't gone unnoticed at the top and that they are kicking themselves for failing in the flat ride department after all these years with now this and last season being the culmination of this failure to invest for flat rides.

Alright guys, just had a brainwave for a flat ride that on the surface might sound rather 'meh' (then again at this point we'll take anything) but actually would be a damn clever way of bringing to life one of the most infamous Towers 'what if' rides never to be built.

The idea is a simulator ride which yes, doesn't sound like much and don't ask me where it could be built. However, if they still have some of the Galactica VR headsets lying around then we can actually finally bring to life the infamous Cross Valley Coaster...in VR! :D

I'm kinda surprised no one has thought about this and honestly it would be the only way we could see it built at Towers and honestly is not that hard to do as other than adding VR to some bog standard simulator ride is add some wind machines to the inside to help with the emersion far greater and ofc then simply dust off Wardley's original plans, build the ride based on those plans in a computer and that's yer lot.

Speaking of which regarding Mr Wardlay himself, if you want to add a pre-show video for the ride if you are building it in a enclosed building, you could wheel out Wardley to have him welcome the riders and explain a little bit about the trouble of building rides at Towers and ofc the ride that was never built and how now you will be able to experience it.

Not sure if there is a market for such an idea but many do like a interesting 'what if' story and the CVC is certainly that and it could work as something as mirror to Hex regarding history in which while Hex is based on pre theme park history, this simulator would be based on recent theme park history and I do feel the GP would be interested in a simulator ride that is not some generic flight through space or something like that.

So yeah, a possible win-win for all concern, we not only get a flat ride which is badly needed but we would actually get to ride a Cross Valley Coaster at Towers, albeit the later probably not in the way that we would've expected. :p

Funk’n’Fly is closed again - I think this has been the third separate time this month - honestly just get rid of it, it’s not doing the job it was brought in to do, because it spends more time closed than open. It was down when I visited in may as well so it seems to be becoming more and more frequent

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.