• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is this going to be

World first

Or

World beating

Or

Both??

World first must (?) be an element of trick track?

World beating, either amazing coaster, or inversion record?

Could we be getting both?

Swoosh said:
World first must (?) be an element of trick track?

Just because Thirteen's worlds first element was trick track does not mean that all future worlds first have to also be trick track. This could be the worlds first x time inverting coaster.

:)

Could we be looking at something silly for a world first?

I'm think world first fastest inverting coaster, as in within the first 10seconds of the ride starting? Wouldn't put it past AT

Something that's very rarely mentioned regarding the World's First is that whatever it is will likely play to Gerstlauer's strengths.

During the Th13teen Event someone asked John why Intamin was chosen for Th13teen. His answer was that each manufacturer has their strengths and weaknesses. While the Park already had a strong relationship with B&M it was clear they wouldn't be able to build Th13teen (although I believe they did originally ask them about creating such an element). So they went looking for someone who could and chose Intamin because they are the go to company for hydraulic based rides.

Now in the case of The Smiler Gerstlauer would have been chosen for a similar reason. Maybe their experience with small trains and tight layouts is key in some way? Maybe they are the company to use for complex block-break systems (they did start off doing the electrical components of other manufacturers). Similarly maybe their LSM launch method is more efficient. Maybe Gerstlauer are just really cheap, allowing them to go crazy with the rides length and special effects. Or there could be something I haven’t even thought of.

I think it's important to keep these in mind when imagining what the Worlds First could be. One thing I don't think they've done before is a trick track so while I wouldn't rule such an element out it does make it less likely.

Spark said:

I'm think world first fastest inverting coaster, as in within the first 10seconds of the ride starting? Wouldn't put it past AT
I don't think they'll manage to beat this:

7790005dt9k7jhqgobq17g.jpg

In case you can't tell that Inversion is coming out of the station on a ride called Hydra the Revenge.

Tim said:

What, the world's first vile pink restrained coaster built in what seems to be a small village/town.

Who on Earth decide, that green and pink went well together on a giant B&M?

Whatever SW7 is, I am now just glad of what it isn't:
344b0idcnqm31g062f0g00.jpg

Hydra, the fierce mythological creatures revenge?? Who against exactly? BARBIE?

Tim said:
Spark said:

7790005dt9k7jhqgobq17g.jpg

In case you can't tell that Inversion is coming out of the station on a ride called Hydra the Revenge.

That seems quick but how quick is it from leaving the station?

Admittedly quite slow but we know SW7's first inversion is a drop and a turn away from the station so it's have to be going at an extreme speed to beat it.

TheMan said:
Tim said:

What, the world's first vile pink restrained coaster built in what seems to be a small village/town.

Whatever SW7 is, I am now just glad of what it isn't

Obviously I am referring to the fact it inverts as soon as it leaves the station when I say beating it.

But actually I kind of like Hydra...

The green looks nice and pleasant given its quaint surroundings (The supports actually happen to be my favourite shade of green) and I always thought the pink was meant to represent the mouth of Hydra. It's even got some really nice landscaping.

Overall I can think of a lot worse rides, and if SW8 ends up looking more like this rather than another dark and gritty toned down colour scheme I'd be more than happy.

Tim said:
The green looks nice and pleasant given its quaint surroundings (The supports actually happen to be my favourite shade of green) and I always thought the pink was meant to represent the mouth of Hydra. It's even got some really nice landscaping.

Overall I can think of a lot worse rides, and if SW8 ends up looking more like this rather than another dark and gritty toned down colour scheme I'd be more than happy.

I checked the pics and the track itself looks decent, and I'm far from against the green and everything else within the surroundings - but that pink!

I agree with 80% of everything, but no way, not that pink - got some decent inversions though, have you actually ridden it then Tim?

TheMan said:
Tim said:

I checked the pics and the track itself looks decent, and I'm far from against the green and everything else within the surroundings - but that pink!

I agree with 80% of everything, but no way, not that pink - got some decent inversions though, have you actually ridden it then Tim?
No but I do have respect for it as it's one of those rare occasions when B&M tried to do something different. I hear it's a fairly average ride but if I'm ever in the area I'd probably go out of my way to ride it as the park also has a few other interesting attractions.

TheMan said:

The number of empty seats on that train (9) makes the throughput geek in me very sad :(

As for colour scheme, it's about time Merlin built a major coaster that isn't somewhere between grey and black. We've now had Saw, Thirteen, Krake, Raptor, Swarm and now Smiler all in the same dreary grey-scale.

If they ever built a woody, themed to snow, they would still paint it black. It matches their souls.

So it look like we are going to get OTSR after all. like the way alton recycle the prototype seats. :D

delta79 said:
So it look like we are going to get OTSR after all. like the way alton recycle the prototype seats. :D

Hahaha I like this idea though! That means we'll get 3 B&M seats, two standard inverts and a flying one!

Does Rita have a test seat? No one will want that seat in the row ;D

Good job Morwenna doesn't work here now, or it will be the world's first Recycloaster.

;)

I don't think the lack of track is a problem, track is the easiest thing for them to complete. Someone needs to tell me the secret element, what is TTF covering up on their pics?

Nothing except an extra roll.

I'm becoming more interested in what the actual area AROUND the ride is going to look like once the ride is built, especially now the combo-rolls are lower than they are on the plans, almost throwing the planned plaza out the window!

Dar said:

I'm becoming more interested in what the actual area AROUND the ride is going to look like once the ride is built, especially now the combo-rolls are lower than they are on the plans, almost throwing the planned plaza out the window!

I still think it will be quite special, even if it didn't have a very good secret element, the ride is going to be brilliant, and also a good way of reducing the queue lines on all the others.

Dar said:

An extra roll? I heard it was a ham and cheese one.

TheMan said:
Dar said:

An extra roll? I heard it was a ham and cheese one.

Then you, sir, are mistaken. Cheese and pickle is the correct description.

aircanman said:
I still think it will be quite special, even if it didn't have a very good secret element, the ride is going to be brilliant, and also a good way of reducing the queue lines on all the others.

Oh definitely, I'm just intrigued as to what it will look like around it!

TheMan said:

Whatever SW7 is, I am now just glad of what it isn't:

I disagree with this, despite the questionable pink restraints, Hydra is a fine looking ride:

hydra1_anthonyferguson.jpg

And I know that it wasn't a serious question but Hydra's revenge is against Hercules which is the coaster that used to stand on the same spot. I personally quite like that continuity and it ties in with the mythology as well.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.