• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Here's a thought. Secret Element not ready, testing did not go as well as Gerst thought. No ride construction until Secret Element delivered. Food for thought and discussion...

Or here's a thought. The amount of snow recently and the high winds haven't exactly helped construction.

craig.walton.184 said:
Here's a thought. Secret Element not ready, testing did not go as well as Gerst thought. No ride construction until Secret Element delivered. Food for thought and discussion...
Completely speculatively I think you are right.

I would also say I am 75% washing machine 25% no washing machine. I'm sure it might be because people know something they are not letting on but otherwise I haven't seen any reason given which could make anyone so certain that it's not happening.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Sku said:
craig.walton.184 said:
Completely speculatively I think you are right.

I would also say I am 75% washing machine 25% no washing machine. I'm sure it might be because people know something they are not letting on but otherwise I haven't seen any reason given which could make anyone so certain that it's not happening.

In the same mindset I still haven't seen any reason which could make anyone so certain it is happening.

Have the mindset there is no secret element, avoid disappointment. Just like everyone who thought th13teen was going to tilt, slide, 3D monitors, animatronics! And the people who thought oblivion would do more in the hole then just drop!

There's no evidence for it. Surely something as substantial as the washing machine would need a lot of space and a big structure. They'd have had to start on the framework ages ago. Plus the park would have teased it like they did with Thirteen's drop.

All there seems to be after the roll is a straight trench for some straight track to run though until it gets to the lift.

There's no evidence for it and a great deal of evidence against it.

There isn't the ride time, money or space for a complex piece of hardware - that's strikingly obvious.

spin_doctor said:
To be fair, my boyfriend doesn't know as much as you would think.

So those of you who are certain the layout will differ. Your wrong. The washing machine element exists. For certain.

This forum doesnt want the washing machine element to exist, because towertimes revealed it sooo early on. You would love nothing more than to discredit the site.

Right, I have edited your post so I can pick on the points that stand out from the waffle.

Your first point is your bf doesnt know that much. And you go on to say it was heard from the grapevine and not actually confirmed in the plans. So could it be your boyfriend has been told things from people who have seen them on this forum or others for instance?

The second point I have highlighted I kind of covered above but if it does exist, where? The images seen show that it is pretty impossible now to have this where it was originally speculated. Hell, it was Boz at TTF how made an estimated guess at what could go in there. These rumours havent even been leaked from Merlin so I doubt very much you know this and have evidence to back this up. For all we know your boyfriend may not actually exist.

And on the final point I have highlighted, all I have to say i grow up. What are you like 10 years old or something? How immature.

TTF and TS may have had their differences but they are both enthusiast sites and share the same passion for AT. Therefore any info that one site breaks is appreciated by the other.

Sorry to rant

A washing machine element would have to be done perfectly. Anything other than perfect will be a cheap looking gimmicky thing, that the gp would slaughter, and hate. Its just not worth the risk, especially after th13teen.
After that many inversions, lots of the public will feel sick. After spinning on the spot an extra few times, it will certainly create a MESS.

The top washing machine may just look like Airs brake run after all them inversions.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but is the Smiler a modified version of Takabisha at Fuji Q?

I just saw a POV and they look pretty similar in inversion count, a single vertical hill (maybe drop on Smiler), indoor inversion, brakes, launch?? (fingers crossed) and quite frankly beautiful fast diving inversions.

I guess Takabisha is a modern Eurofighter like Smiler so would naturally share some aspects, but it struck me as being very similar... Japan gets steepest drop, UK gets inversion count? I dunno, either way after watching that POV of Takabisha I am SUPER PSYCHED for Smiler!! inversion record or not, looks completely amazing.

Quick edit: Also that strange looking cobra element on Takabisha?? Then we get the famous Alton Knot, another similarity?

I think Takabisha certainly gives you a good idea of how The Smiler will ride as it seems to have a similar style. Though obviously Takabish is taller (above ground) and has the launch. It will be interesting to see how heavier and longer trains will effect the dynamics of the Eurofighter design as its always been a very "nippy" type of roller coaster.

Osaka12 said:
Quick edit: Also that strange looking cobra element on Takabisha?? Then we get the famous Alton Knot, another similarity?

Banana Roll. :)

But I hope we don't get the inversion count. Someone else will only beat it eventually so they should just focus on making great ride. Loads of inversions don't make a ride good. In fact, they become quite tedious when the ride is centred solely around turning you upside down as much as possible.

Dave said:
It will be interesting to see how heavier and longer trains will effect the dynamics of the Eurofighter design as its always been a very "nippy" type of roller coaster.

I assume heavier trains = more speed, could be why were seeing these interesting curved brake runs?

lol Banana roll, seriously?

BigAl said:
But I hope we don't get the inversion count. Someone else will only beat it eventually so they should just focus on making great ride. Loads of inversions don't make a ride good. In fact, they become quite tedious when the ride is centred solely around turning you upside down as much as possible.
Completely agree.

Although there's a small part of me that's kind of hoping that both the inversion count and washing machine are true. Why? Well maybe if Alton build this theoretical unlimited inversion device they will convince everyone else that the inversion record is pointless and we'll never see another ride go for it again...

Just thinking about the silver lining ;)

The inversion record isn't necessarily a bad thing, our experience of such a ride is Collosus where they just stuck a load of barrel rolls in a row and Ta'dah. If there is some creative thought into the layout then a multi-inverter can be as interesting as a hyper that just goes up and down alot.

Remember that any inversion record depending on a washing machine element is quite risky. It's not exactly in the spirit of the record, really, and it would be quite an expensive mistake if the big record books decided not to count a spin as an inversion.

Like Dave has touched upon, I think a lot of hate for the inversion record is because of the way Colossus went about doing it.

The barrel rolls in Colossus are cheap, easy and unimaginative, I'd hope that if Alton Towers are going after the record they would come up with a better way of doing it.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.