• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
My view (as it's been all along) is that variety is the key.

For example:
I think that Nemesis is a near perfect roller coaster.
Black Mamba on the other hand I felt to be fairly lacklustre and uninspired despite being very similar. Why? Because Black Mamba front loads all of its inversions then finishes with the ground hugging elements. Nemesis perfectly paces the two throughout its layout.

My concern with The Smiler is similar to that of Mamba but in this case it's not how the inversions are spread out but the ratio being Inversion heavy. Nemesis has a very nice 1:1 ratio; one inverting element to every non-inverting one. The Smiler is roughly 3:1.
Of course there's more to it than that. As other have pointed out different inversions do offer different sensations... but the Cobra Rolls, Batwings, Immelmens & half loop twists which make up 2 of the 3 in each section offer similar sensations to each other. Then you have the rolls (inverted drops, barrel rolls and in-line) which are also very similar. When you look at it like this there aren't that many unique elements.

Not that I'm saying the ride will be bad but I fail to see how the layout is supposed to be really good? Just like Colossus it's inversions for the sake of inversions, they've simply been more creative about it.

I think we should just accept this for what it is, undoubtedly one of the most thrilling rollercoasters in the UK, if not the world. There's other coasters at the park that offer other experiences, and undoubtedly in the future there will be some that offer more airtime. For now though, the park are giving what everybody has been asking for all of the past decade - a true white knuckle Nemesis rival.

There are two ways in which multi-loopers can go. The repetitive way and the enjoyable way.

No one can say this will be fun or it will be boring until you've ridden the ride. Multi-loopers can be hit or miss, some are great, others, well, not so great. Lets just hope Gerst and Merlin have been working closely on developing this so it becomes one of the enjoyable multi-loopers out there.

Some pics from today

In the car park we have a number of new sections, like the walk ways here

P1030414.JPG

and these, some of these ones look like lift hills, this piece looks like a show scene as it has wheels and breaks.
P1030415.JPG

My photos of the ones with just wheels came out even more blurred than the above. My camera wants to auto-focus on the trees in the foreground.

Over on The Smiler site there hasn't been much visible change from yesterdays photos.
P1030418.JPG

P1030423.JPG

The Alton Towers Guide have just posted this image on Facebook, showing the arrival of the air gates:

17719_530016163696233_1830284082_n.jpg

Danny said:
The Alton Towers Guide have just posted this image on Facebook, showing the arrival of the air gates:

17719_530016163696233_1830284082_n.jpg

More evidence that the game is going to be a like-hood of the real thing?

They look nice and yellow! ;D Hopefully this might be a sign of imminent progress on the station walls and interior.

:)

JCB yellow, extravagant ;D I'm not quite sure why I'm so excited by this, but I am. All seems much more real when station tinkering starts :)

Looking good with the yellow!

I wouldn't think they're very far along with the station if the airgates are only just arriving - they're one of the first things to be installed (usually before the floor).

Looking forward to the game so we can have a real nose around!!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Well the station is currently just a shell with a small amount of interior flooring/ceiling; it's hard to tell exactly what. Hopefully walls will start going up soon along with the construction of the maintenace shed and pre lift area.

Such a fitting colour for the theme - bright yellow. It's what I imagined they would be ;)

Sazzle said:
Looking forward to the game so we can have a real nose around!!

^This :) I'm rather intrigued to the whole track layout.

So does this mean that we will not see the dreaded 'run-down' and 'aged' look that was shown in the plans?

That's great news if that is the case.

Just been catching up on the weekend's progress - that POV video that Nemesis94 posted looks amazing!

I see what people mean about how multiloopers could be dull and repetitive, but this looks like the opposite to me. It's disorientating and looks to be very intense.

And IF they couple that with lapbars, along with a great world first that JW has talked about then this is going to be one good coaster.

Bring on May!

Please be bright and cheerful......it would make it seem even more twisted and creepy :p

I've been studying the game video closely...

I believe the marmalisation occurs once your outside and not inside. Firstly the game text during the lift is "PREPARE FOR MARMALISATION" and secondly the spider has the text "The Marmaliser". Therefore it's safe to assume the marmalisation happens outside. (duh)...

So what is the marmalisation? If Scarefest is any indication then were talking effects (disorientation, water splashes etc...)... So the spider has 5 legs and many people are speculating that each leg will have a purpose (this also links with john wardleys 5 elements to mess with your mind statement).

On closure inspection, i can see 3 of the 5 elements each are attached to the spider legs:

Needles - Injections

Y2fHRk5.jpg

I believe this will be some sort of water splash.

Spotlights?

QCTAznZ.jpg

If these are spotlights I imagine a bright light will be directed at the riders as they pass (disorienting slightly).

Hypno Swirls

PGkQzXP.jpg

I guess these will swirl? I'm not sure what physical interaction they will have other than being disorientating.

Not pictured

The promo picture showed a steam affect so I will assume a 4th affect will be water mist.

Bonus

Appologies if anyone has noticed this, I know a few people pointed out the "15" text, but i never saw anyone point out the rest of the text on the marmiliser.

QE6XCi7.jpg

Basically on closer inspection it says "15 Rotations"

I don't know too much about how it works, or how it could be implemented into a roller coaster, but could augmented reality be used as part of the 'marmalisation' process, and involve interaction with the spider?

I'm thinking simulation of laser shots, near misses and crashes with virtual scenery

EuroSatch said:
I don't know too much about how it works, or how it could be implemented into a roller coaster, but could augmented reality be used as part of the 'marmalisation' process, and involve interaction with the spider?

I'm thinking simulation of laser shots, near misses and crashes with virtual scenery

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it could be implemented? Maybe mist screens like Pirates in Batavia at EP?

Mist screens would be cool, but how well would they work being outside where the mist can be blown around? I don't think I've ever seen any used outside before...

Maybe being down in the pit and under the marmaliser could help shield it from the weather?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.