• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's good to see some shots of The Smiler from a ground level perspective for once.

Oblivion is looking fresh in its new coat too, although I still wish it had been painted in its original colour.

:)

542650_10151497473341201_1948719702_n.jpg

Looks like there is a bit of space between the half-loops of the cobra-roll for a pathway/viewing area or an entrance to the shop?

Please tell me those workmen are removing the Fanta sign from the top of Rehydrator.

Also, could this possibly be a leg of the Marmaliser in place next to the tree in the middle?

72389_10151497473111201_340495974_n.jpg

Great to see generally positive comments on Alton Towers' Facebook pictures of these too! Apart from the one or two "you charge too much" comments, on the whole I've never seen such a positive reaction on a Facebook page. Great viral advertising by Alton Towers.

Wow, just wow both SW7 and oblivion look fantastic, I really don't mind waiting for the opening :)

Almost looks like a US construction picture with that weather! They've really got the cranes out in force now, looks as though there's loads more supports and footers down ready for more track ASAP too.

Danny said:
Please tell me those workmen are removing the Fanta sign from the top of Rehydrator.

Also, could this possibly be a leg of the Marmaliser in place next to the tree in the middle?

Nice spot! Think you might be onto something there... It would make sense to get big parts of the Marmaliser in before the track is too far constructed.

Scott said:
Danny said:

Nice spot! Think you might be onto something there... It would make sense to get big parts of the Marmaliser in before the track is too far constructed.

Not convinced, the marm looks like bits of machinery, however this seems to be attached to something behind the tree and unless I have where it be will completely wrong then it seems to be located too far out?

Just seems way too close to the edge for me that. Who knows though! (builders)

The big yellow arm is a cement pumping thingamy, but there does seem to be some black trussing to the right of the tree.

DiogoJ42 said:
The big yellow arm is a cement pumping thingamy, but there does seem to be some black trussing to the right of the tree.

That's what I was referring to:

VdK5t23.png

Yeah, it certainly looks like it could be the support for the leg or even the base of it. I think it's the 'Hypnotiser' leg from the game isn't it?

In a bit of a moderation note too: yesterday's long-winded debate on the ride's possible restrain system has been split into the Train Discussion topic which can be found here.

If you read back and some posts seem out of context or do not make total sense, this is why :)

Oblivion's looking nice and fresh but have they kept the little logos on each support? It would be a shame if they were gone.

I am clearly very rubbish at fathoming out this ride ;D

The truss does indeed seem to be there though!

Danny said:
DiogoJ42 said:

That's what I was referring to:

VdK5t23.png

Apologies mate I thought you meant the leg.

Some interesting back story from The Sun today:

The Smiler is the latest device that is believed to originate from The Ministry of Joy - an organisation that has never been seen or heard but has been conducting human experiments since 1998.
The Ministry of Joy devices first appeared when X Sector was created. Previous devices included: Enterprise, Submission, Oblivion and more recently, The Sanctuary.
With the recent rediscovery of The Sanctuary, The Ministry of Joy's purpose came to light. The Sanctuary is a market leader in social compliance treatment. It has been secretly operating for years but only recruited new patients for smiling advocate trials in 2012 - ready for their new device opening in 2013.
Previous experiments were frightening but it is now clear they were just softening you up for the main purpose - The Smiler.
On this ride you will experience full body and mind marmalisation to become a smiling advocate. Those guests who can't wait to try the ride can get a preview with the game... blah blah blah!

Interesting! Nice to see that they really have put a lot of thought into the theme. X-Sector will continue to have the same theme but it appears that there is a new context to it all with The Smiler and The MOJ. And if you ask me it all fits together really well!

:)

Fantastic picture update there, I am really starting to look forward to this now, and can I second, Oblivion looks very smart!

Ash

Is that The Sun's version of the story, or a quote from AT? As there are a lot of inconsistencies within that paragraph and is quite a poor telling of the theme

Think it's likely the Sun Mis-quoting some of Towers, but the idea that the whole of X-Sector is ministry controlled seems genuine.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.