• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Rob said:
Therefore the plans were wrong! ;)

Right and wrong at the same time. It's so dissatisfying!

When people were screaming that the coaster was going off plan I took that to mean that the route of it would be completely different when looked at top-down, but (at the moment) it looks like that aerial view is accurate, but the track rendering was wrong to try hide the inversion count.

Sneaky AT!

I'm just going to have another look at the PDFs to see if there was ever any clue.

TheMan said:
Inversion record pretty much confirmed then.

I wonder when they will announce it officially?

I am still sticking with it will be lap bars! I still stand by it having a launch also.
Don't forget the inverted stand up floorless trains to go with those lap bars.

Maybe this is the Flying Kinkonator after all?

There may be another world first on top of the inversion record. John has already stated it is going to be the world's most densely packed ride. It's his swansong so we can expect it to be memorable on many fronts.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Rob said:
adsyrah said:
It really hammers home how many inversions there are and also kinda shows that the plans were right all the time, they just didn't bother rendering the track fully to give away quite how many inversions there were going to be!

Therefore the plans were wrong! ;)
Can this argument not just die.

As Diogo just pointed out the plans were made to mislead but they weren't different therefore both sides were wrong.

Now if you'd said the layout is correct but they've hidden a few inversions then I will concede you were right, not that I ever ruled that out as a possibility myself, I just wasn't happy with the idea.

Also as I said a few pages back I'm now fairly confident this will have lap bars because 3 pieces of promotional art have been released with them:

1) The image in Mutiny Bay
2) The promotional image with the night sky in the background (Very hard to see but it's from the same artwork as above)
3) In a picture I spotted in the Sun the other day which was like the first one but more detailed and going over an inversion like the second (I posted about it at the time but everyone was too busy arguing to notice)

Blimey, you two (Meat Pie and TheMan) are really trying to outsmart each other tonight....

The updates on TT look incredible, the shaping of the inversions has been done so well, from what I can tell from the photos.

This is going to look very imposing and I hope, will be a joy to ride... In fact, I can guarantee that a couple of car wash brushes wont ruin the ride, well, for me at least...

I'm still wondering what they are going to do with all of the concrete that this ride is built upon. I gather that a large proportion will be taken up by the queue but there could be a lot of bland grey remaining.

Is it possible to plant on top of concrete? Obviously if they lay down a decent level of soil first? A line similar to the one for oblivion would be a nice addition.

rightbackgranty said:
I'm still wondering what they are going to do with all of the concrete that this ride is built upon. I gather that a large proportion will be taken up by the queue but there could be a lot of bland grey remaining.

Is it possible to plant on top of concrete? Obviously if they lay down a decent level of soil first? A line similar to the one for oblivion would be a nice addition.

I was worried about this, but with the mass of track above you, how much busier do you want it to be? A sparse concrete look could be good, as long as there a painted details etc...

Tim said:
Can this argument not just die.

As Diogo just pointed out the plans were made to mislead but they weren't different therefore both sides were wrong.

Now if you'd said the layout is correct but they've hidden a few inversions then I will concede you were right, not that I ever ruled that out as a possibility myself, I just wasn't happy with the idea.

Don't get how both sides of the argument where wrong, some said the plans where not accurate.... Turned out to be very true. No one suggested the plans where going to be a completely different coaster.

Anyhoo, the final inversion on this thing looks insane, but as they suggested the wanted previous late April in their press release they have a lot of work in a short amount of time.

You were correct Dave in saying the plans weren't completely accurate but that wasn't what everyone else was saying. Some were suggesting elements like the knot would be altered or removed and others were suggesting the track would go off the course which was shown in the plans. Neither of which have happened, they've just turned a few sections upside down that weren't before. As far as accuracy goes it's much more accurate than the plans submitted for many other rides.

Hence why I said both “sides” were wrong, not the people that had views somewhere in the middle like yourself. That’s why I think this debate should just die as in the end we’ve got a ride that’s just like the plans, but not one that’s 100% the same so nitpicking over the details is pointless.

Something that is interesting to talk about is that from TT’s latest pictures the area around Oblivion’s exit hole seems to have been altered to allow enough room for the shop to exit towards it. I think it’s quite good that the ride will still be exiting there as it’ll spread people out a bit more through X-Sector.

If the game is accurate it looks like all of the space under the ride will be used for queue, so there will be a nice movement of guests around the area. I hope that they plan to use what was the plaza area for a more open plan queue rather than just a bigger cattle-pen but I doubt it.

One thing that worries me is with the amount of work left to do that any plans for small theming details will be delayed or cut. It will be slightly sad if we get this impressive Marmaliser and no little details to support it.

At the risk of sounding out of character for me, I'd say that both sides of the "plans" argument were right, not wrong.

Dave said:
One thing that worries me is with the amount of work left to do that any plans for small theming details will be delayed or cut. It will be slightly sad if we get this impressive Marmaliser and no little details to support it.

I'm not sure what other theming we would be getting. Other than the Marmaliser, it just seemed to be painting on the floor of the ride area, and a fairly standard indoor paint job. I think there was some sort of van mentioned on the original plans, but I've no idea if that's still happening.

I'm hoping the game isn't too accurate, the rainbow stairs leaving the station look a bit strange...

Just changing the topic here slightly, but this is on the Marketing forum about the 5 Marmalade sections of the ride and what they will do:

The Smiler’s 5 Mind Manipulations:

• The Inoculator (A jab of happiness as you pass by stage one of the Marmalisation process)

Sounds like back prodders to me. Ouch

• The Tickler (Aims to tickle you until you cant resist smiling)

Leg ticklers anyone?

• The Flasher (A giant flashing device, blinding you as you hurtle underneath the leg)

I so hope this is a giant Kelly Brook as we hurtle underneath her leg, woohoo! Alternatively it could just be some bright lights :(

• The Giggler (Infectious, intoxicating laughing gas)

Spray mist or smoke machine?

• The Hypnotiser (Has the power to disorientate, mesmerize and disrupt your self-awareness)

Probably a car park token machine, these seem to distrupt, mersmerise and disorientate as people realise they have to pay another 6 quid to get out of the park! Alternatively, it could just be some spinning wheels!

Just a thought, RE: Rainbow Stairs.

I don't know if it's been bought up or not so far, but I have a theory regarding them. Wouldn't be surprised if they are going to be there for real. Going off what we know about the Marmalisation process so far what do we believe it's aim is? To make people happy and smile as far as I'm aware. We are also taking the Smiler and theming centrepiece to be the ne tools the MoJ uses to accomplish this, after their disasterous first attempts.

So how does this sound? You disembark the ride supposedly Marmalised, and you make your way up the Rainbow Stairs to exit the station. Once up these stairs you enter a corridor where they could either have a post show of some description, or just apt decor, with bright, vibrant, happy colours and some strange, out of place happy upbeat music (All the opposite of what we've seen and hears so far from the game).

The idea is that now you've been Marmalised this is how you feel, and what you see. There could even be a video of some form included explaining what you have been through. As a contrast if say the original videos in the main queue were all black, white, silvers, and yellow, this one could be all bright vibrant colours and have some effects added to it like daft rainbows and sparkles or something.

If you ask me it'd be a great way to bring the whole ride and experience to a neat close, and really top it off. For me a lot of themed experience rides all cut off very abruptly following their main show piece, and leave themselves very open ended. This would be a great way to combat that and draw the ride to a neat conclusion :)

Ian said:

I don't know if it's been bought up or not so far, but I have a theory regarding them. Wouldn't be surprised if they are going to be there for real. Going off what we know about the Marmalisation process so far what do we believe it's aim is? To make people happy and smile as far as I'm aware. We are also taking the Smiler and theming centrepiece to be the ne tools the MoJ uses to accomplish this, after their disasterous first attempts.

So how does this sound? You disembark the ride supposedly Marmalised, and you make your way up the Rainbow Stairs to exit the station. Once up these stairs you enter a corridor where they could either have a post show of some description, or just apt decor, with bright, vibrant, happy colours and some strange, out of place happy upbeat music (All the opposite of what we've seen and hears so far from the game).

The idea is that now you've been Marmalised this is how you feel, and what you see. There could even be a video of some form included explaining what you have been through. As a contrast if say the original videos in the main queue were all black, white, silvers, and yellow, this one could be all bright vibrant colours and have some effects added to it like daft rainbows and sparkles or something.

If you ask me it'd be a great way to bring the whole ride and experience to a neat close, and really top it off. For me a lot of themed experience rides all cut off very abruptly following their main show piece, and leave themselves very open ended. This would be a great way to combat that and draw the ride to a neat conclusion :)
Very interesting theory, Ian. It could certainly work, although I do think we should remember that the game may not be truly representative of what the ride will actually be like.

Jonathan said:
Ian said:

I do think we should remember that the game may not be truly representative of what the ride will actually be like.

Oh I do realise that. But even so, don't you think it would be a very random thing to include if it actually was nothing? It's such a contrast to the rest of the attraction, and the camera does show them a few times from the angles used. I think there is some reason for them to be there personally :)

Hmm, fair point. Annoyingly, I haven't played the game (stupid phone not having space and refusing to allow apps to be moved to the SD card FTL), but from what you just said, I'm inclined to think you may be right.

Ian said:

I don't know if it's been bought up or not so far, but I have a theory regarding them. Wouldn't be surprised if they are going to be there for real.

Oh I think the Rainbow Stairs will definately be there for real. Either they will be :

(a) painted stairs
(b) plain stairs but multicoloured from all the vomit running down them! ;)

Right - The Man and Meat Pie - give it up both of you, its like a ruddy boxing match, one in the one corner, one in the other, and i'm making myself ref, blowing my whistle, ringing my bell and telling you "match over" and wait until May for the thing to ruddy open! Sheeeesssshhhhhh, you two!! ;)

The stairs could be white plastic with RGB LEDs behind (Think Strictly Come Dancing). That way they could have a cheesey rainbow chase.... (usually reserved for childrens telly tbh).

Sorry to sound slightly unnerved and maybe graphic, but am I the only person thinking just how much this coaster will make the GP ill? I feel slightly on edge knowing that I am going to be queuing under the ride structure with certain 'showers' possible.

Maybe my understanding of the GP is flawed.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.