• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

A team members opinion is still opinion, its only TowersStreet if the info is published on news or Facebook. God if people start taking our "opinions" as fact everyone will end up thinking Meatloaf is the bees knees and Ben Cohen is hot (because I think that)

Dave said:
A team members opinion is still opinion, its only TowersStreet if the info is published on news or Facebook. God if people start taking our "opinions" as fact everyone will end up thinking Meatloaf is the bees knees and Ben Cohen is hot (because I think that)

There is every chance it could have been washed away, and it's a certainty that this weather will have caused big construction issues. Looks an awkward site. I'd explain how I know a bit about concrete and construction, but it's often met with disdain whenever I dare mention experience :D

DiogoJ42 said:
As regular readers of ATS will know, any crazy, hard to believe claim such as this, should be met with the standard response:

Pics or it didn't happen.

;)

I don't think they've started work on it mate, I believe they have mistaken the supports for a weather balloon.

Dave said:
I have to side with Ellie on this one. The issue is that it can be very hard to tell what is fact and what is opinion when the general consensus is that a certain opinion is correct.

When people who are known to know their stuff (aka. the team) all start making statements with such certainty then it's very easy to forget it's just opinion, as what happened with the concrete incident.

Perfect example that's still ongoing is the theory that SW7's layout WILL be different to what is shown on the plans. This is still opinion as no evidence has yet been given that can prove it to be the case but it's said with such certainty that unless questioned people will just believe it.

Oh and because I don't think I've said anything yet I'll add that I'm glad to hear track construction has begun although the 6 weeks sounds an awful long time to get it all up unless that's factoring in the Christmas break.

Tim said:
Dave said:
I have to side with Ellie on this one. The issue is that it can be very hard to tell what is fact and what is opinion when the general consensus is that a certain opinion is correct.

When people who are known to know their stuff (aka. the team) all start making statements with such certainty then it's very easy to forget it's just opinion, as what happened with the concrete incident.

Perfect example that's still ongoing is the theory that SW7's layout WILL be different to what is shown on the plans. This is still opinion as no evidence has yet been given that can prove it not to be the case but it's said with such certainty that unless questioned people will just believe it.

Oh and because I don't think I've said anything yet I'll add that I'm glad to hear track construction has begun although the 6 weeks sounds an awful long time to get it all up unless that's factoring in the Christmas break.

Ohh I know the lines are blurred but my point was you shouldn't take a comment made about the concrete from a team member as a site endorsement.

The layout issue is a perfect example, I am certain there will be a difference between the plans and what we get (not a huge difference but probable an extra inversion or two). But we have strict rules on what we publish as a site, so we have never published that as news.

Primarily the site has a broader audience base than the forums and it represents for want of a better term the "brand". So I don't think it's fair to take a comment by a team member on the forum and a news article on the site and compare them.

Feel free to ridicule us when we as individuals get it wrong though, god knows I do plenty of times!

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Dave said:

Erm, I think it is an actual fact that Ben Cohen is hot. ;)

To be fair, that quote about the concrete did read more like a statement that an opinion, however I've read lots of statements for people 'in the know' in the past that have no substance. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

I'm sure vertical construction has started though, it was clearly imminent from the last set of photos. It should all start coming together quite quickly now. Apart from track work and station building there really is no substance to the rest of the theming, if we see it. Small detail and landscaping will be very last minute anyway (anyone remember Blue Fire construction a week or so before opening?).
Testing is my only concern here, I guess it depends on whether the ride system is simple or if there is a secret element.

Can't wait for the first actual track piece to be bolted to a support. Don't imagine that will be till January though :(

Dylan said:
To be fair, that quote about the concrete did read more like a statement that an opinion, however I've read lots of statements for people 'in the know' in the past that have no substance. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

I don't deny the content of the post but (and this is so important I'm letting a topic go off topic for it) team members forum comments can't be taken as TowersStreet.com news or opinion. Otherwise essentially we are not allowed an independent opinion.

Essentially take any comment by a team member on the forum as you would any other member (unless its a moderation post). Only assume something is site endorsed if it appears on TowersStreet news or Facebook as that means it has passed our edititorial standards (if not the SPG ones :p )

I think Ellie was only showing proof that someone had said that the concrete has been washed away, not that it was published as news.

Anyway I'm very happy that supports are finally going up, and hopefully track should go up very quickly :) although it does seem that just now only the underground section will have any track in it, as the rest of the site still looks an absolute mess :p

Josh said:
I think Ellie was only showing proof that someone had said that the concrete has been washed away, not that it was published as news.

Anyway I'm very happy that supports are finally going up, and hopefully track should go up very quickly :) although it does seem that just now only the underground section will have any track in it, as the rest of the site still looks an absolute mess :p

Yeah Ellie is right, there was loads of discussion on it, just wanted to clarify the way we see team members posts.

The rest of the site is a state, hopefully footers for the non-pit area is a quicker job or we are up a creek without a paddle :/

The thing I am most excited to see is what sort of route the underground section will take, as there is a lot of space in that hole and I assume that it will be completely covered as the new plaza is directly above it. Should be interesting :)

Josh said:
The thing I am most excited to see is what sort of route the underground section will take, as there is a lot of space in that hole and I assume that it will be completely covered as the new plaza is directly above it. Should be interesting :)

Honestly the underground section I think is where this thing will shine, plenty of space for significant coaster track, even with minimal theming it will be epic.

Erm anyone seen the pic TT has posted on twitter this morning? Looks like a bit of hydrolic to me but could be wrong.

Natalie said:
Erm anyone seen the pic TT has posted on twitter this morning? Looks like a bit of hydraulic to me but could be wrong.
Erm, yes :p.

It's a bit of a weird photo. The consensus in the comments seems to be that it's a set of brakes, but to me it seems weirder than that. The hydraulic ram at the bottom of the 'thing' does indeed seem to be connected to a brake, but then why are there proxi sensors at the top of the structure?

And also... Where on earth is the track relative to the set of brakes?!

It is a rather odd looking piece of kit I must say! Exciting times :D

It's hard to say as the image quality is poor but it could be lift hill equipment, the ram could be a tension arm for the chain.

The proxy sensors don't have to be related to a train, Gerst have them on their lift hills to locate the lifting dog.

Hmmm much like the vast majority of this whole coaster project, I can't make any sense of that photo. There doesn't appear to be any track for a train to run along on it, but it is a bad photo so you can't be sure of that. It could maybe be a support structure for a vertical lift hill? Hopefully we will get a better photo later on.

:)

Rob said:
Hmmm much like the vast majority of this whole coaster project, I can't make any sense of that photo. There doesn't appear to be any track for a train to run along on it, but it is a bad photo so you can't be sure of that. It could maybe be a support structure for a vertical lift hill? Hopefully we will get a better photo later on.

:)
Very true you can't make much out I might go up on Monday to get some photos

If the ride system itself is up and running on opening day, the ride won't be "mediocre" or get a poor reputation because of it, at least not with the general public. For a major thrill coaster like this, theming matters a lot less than on a ride like NST. I mean, who really cares if the theming isn't entirely finished by opening day?! The ride's going to be bloody awesome just on its own merits. Theming is a bonus.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Natalie said:
Erm anyone seen the pic TT has posted on twitter this morning? Looks like a bit of hydrolic to me but could be wrong.

ok i cant see the picture anywhere, have you a link

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.