• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Well, we're not forcasted for any snow for the foreseeable future. But there is a cold front coming through next week, with temperatures as low as -11c. So, let's hope that doesn't mess up the construction up too much.

:)

After looking at the track today in the car park there has been a lot more delivered since last Sunday when I was there. Not so much new track or supports but loads more steel work (which im guessing will be for the station building) and lots of rebar.

It must be a bit of a pain to move the track to the construction site, there are just so many bits all over the place.

Its also great to finally see a straight bit of track :p

What are the odds that Towers have misplaced a piece of track and the ride is left with a gap in the middle of it? :p

Well, at least things are moving now and hopefully things will pick up dependent on the weather, which. hopefully, they've planned for this time...

Judging off the project already, however, I doubt they have.

Tom said:
There is ZERO chance of this not opening on 16 March.

Sorry, but that is a stupid thing to say. No one can know that. For all we know they are actually ahead of schedule, but you still could not say with 100% certainty that SW7 or anything else will be open on that or any other day.

pluk said:
Tom said:
There is ZERO chance of this not opening on 16 March.

Sorry, but that is a stupid thing to say. No one can know that. For all we know they are actually ahead of schedule, but you still could not say with 100% certainty that SW7 or anything else will be open on that or any other day.

You don't need to question the literalness of that statement, you know precisely what I meant. If anything is stupid, it's stirring up confrontation over that. If someone said there is zero chance of the park shutting down before it re-opens next year, you wouldn't address that as a stupid thing to say.

Not trying to stir it, to say so finaly that it will be open can not be right. Will it/won't it be ready is a legitimate discussion to have and to be so totally dismissive, without reasoning, of others concerns that it is not going to be ready doesn't make sense.

I for one, with no knowledge of anything, think it really is a push getting it built and commissioned in time with the state the site is in now. Even if they have a solid plan to get it done there are many things, primarily the weather, which could get in their way and they can do pretty much nothing about. I think it is really in the balance and none of us can come close to knowing for sure if the date will be met.

Stop the press!
Always wanted to say that

I've noticed something:

32388_412930832110700_1427871104_n.jpg

This dinky piece of track has no connectors on one end (the end closest). This means that no other track piece is joined to that end. There are 3 reasons a piece of track like this would exist. End of the line in the maintenance bay, a switch track (also in the maintenance bay) or a trick track!

Given its size I’d rule out the end of the line as why would it be so short? The second one is also unlikely as I suspect that like most rides (including Euro-Fighters) this will have a transfer track not a switch track which would be longer and with no connectors at either end. This leaves just one answer. Could this be the section of track before the secret element?

We’ll see...

That could be the case, but could it be joined to another piece of track with that big hole in the middle of it? As the other new pieces of track (with the breaks/kicker wheels on them) all have them holes in the same place, might just be the way they design the track for breakruns, etc.

Beaten to it, but as Michael said, the brake sections have the same thing and it can be seen in this picture from the TowersStreet SW7 Albums!

556876_412930788777371_802065569_n.jpg

True but it's odd to have such a small piece of track with a proper joint at one end but a lose joint at the other.

Also could those break run sections be the transfer track that I also predicted would have a design like that? They look the right length.

Edit:

I've looked through the other images and found that at least one of the break run sections posted above has a regular joint at the other end:

081212_17.jpg

This does suggest that it is the section before the transfer track and the other one either is the transfer track of the piece on the other side.

Also to answer the question about the hole in the middle it could be for a locking pin.

If the look closely at our latest batch of track photos you'll notice each piece of track has both a number stuck on it, and a permanent one stamped in the metal. When looking through I found that there are some cases where the same number appears twice on different pieces with a little arrow. I reckon this is the joint number, and the arrow shows direction of movement.

After looking at all the images the pieces are numbered as such, which should give an idea how they go together. Personally, I think as Sammy suggested on Facebook that the holes are used for a locking pin which holds moving track in place during operation.

f974680913ba43598c296e0.png

a5e444e0790c4558a6c6b46.png

b75f53ef6acd4a7489bcf17.png

f35e400a061e4159a016469.png

That should give an idea how these go together.

Unfortunately I couldn't see the middle of the three lengths in the last picture, so can't work out their numbers. However, you'll notice that the ones with a central hole always seem to go together, and have no male or female rail connectors on them. As Tim said, this no doubt points towards something moving.

The small piece does seem very odd. I'm not sure what it's meant to be doing really. But if I had to make an assumption I'd say that to me it looks like the end facing the camera of the middle piece on the last image is joint number 132, with the other end being 133, which joins to the end of the small piece, capping it with a locking point. This means there's a length of track with a locking area at either end. I'd therefore suggest that the little piece and the middle one join together to make one transfer track, similar to Nemesis'. Then, the long bits at the front and back of the last image form the brakes and possibly part of the station. That'd explain the mechanical brakes, used to hold the trains in place if it was stacking. It'd also explain all the kickers, which could be used to move the vehicles into place for garaging.

Annoyingly I can't seem to find any real photos of a Eurofighter with these caps and holes on the ends of the track to be sure. Most of their Eurofighters use a little bit of track just long enough for a shuttle, which spins on its support to join the maintenance track.

That's just what I think this could possibly be personally :)

I hadn't noticed the numbers.

As I said before it seems odd to have a really short bit given that the trains shouldn't be longer than a standard section of track but that could be the case.

I've also been looking for pictures, this is the best I could find:

g3f92vd2cgo002nekq3pot.jpg

That's an end of the line section of track so we can rule that out.

Yeah, see I still can't understand the short bit. I think though that that joins to a longer piece and the whole thing moves to the side. It could be that the short bit goes at the back and joins with the garage track, which would explain why it looks different to a usual track end.

Think like the one on Nemesis. In normal operation it just acts as part of a brake run. Then, when needed, it moves horizontally to the side, and the train is reversed off it. So day to day it needs vehicles to pass over it with no problems. That could be why it is. As for being longer, maybe Gerst only make standard length transfer track, and they bolted a little bit more onto the end for these longer trains :p

As you said yourself though most of the Euro-Fighters don't have standard transfer tracks anyway. Some twist and some like the one I showed above lowers so I doubt they have a standard size.

It's puzzling :-\ I guess we'll find out when they build the transfer track. I'll be looking closely to see if that small part ends up being there and if not we can guess their'll be at least one other section of moving track.

Given enough time I'm sure you guys could put together a Lego style SW7 instruction book :p

You jest, but I did suggest photographing every track piece we find, taking it's number and sticking them together to see how it was going to turn out ;)

Ian said:
You jest, but I did suggest photographing every track piece we find, taking it's number and sticking them together to see how it was going to turn out ;)
You know you're a geek when...

;)

On a side note, I am sure one of the big twisty tri rail sections I have seen is piece 140?!! So, that would mean this is not the end of the ride.

However, I think I could have made that up, maybe it was section 104?

... Yeah, we really should have photographed them!

We really should have thought to have noted down all of the numbers on all of the track pieces, then we could have put them all together and come up with the coaster layout! I'll make a note to do this for SW8! :p

The only point I will say is that small piece of track won't be able to accommodate a whole train and yet it seems to be part of a moving track area. I still stand-by the idea the washing machine is not happening but this is either transfer or trick- track.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.