• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I think Towers are quite behind. Unless construction really starts to happen quickly. I suppose a lot of it is pour and bolt type construction, especially for the station and there's very little landscaping etc.

But even so. I don't imagine we're seeing any kind of 'trick' element.

Perhaps the world's first element is invisible track and it's actually almost done.

I really would hope that Towers have learnt from Sub-Terra that opening a half finished job doesn't go down well with people. Maybe it's just me, but I'd sooner they delayed the ride and opened the finished article late, than opened some half arsed, rushed bodge job on the scheduled opening date.

At least that way no one is going to loose out, aside from the embarrassment of having to change the opening date. For some people visiting Towers is a rare treat. Imagine if you went for your only visit for a while, wanting to go on the amazing new ride. Then you hear a few weeks later that it's completely changed, and been made loads better. You'd probably be a little miffed! I know a few people who felt this way about Sub-Terra.

Hopefully, if worse comes to worse Towers would be brave enough to say "Sorry, we've mucked up, the new ride will now open on X date. For anyone who's booked tickets and wants to ride it contact us to see about changing the date of your visit." I for one would have a lot more respect for them doing that, than saying "Meh, it'll do. Your problem if you miss out."

But also, if they want to do a Sub-Terra on it surely it'll be more confusing for guests? They go, expecting it to be open, then find it's not, even though they've already heard it was open. Plus, it didn't look that good really "Alton Towers closes new ride after just X weeks in operation". I'd sooner it all be done and dusted early on.

Guys I've just edited a few posts and deleted a few - lets keep this on topic. At the end of the day, we're discussing a photo that's been posted from another website. Regardless of who posted it, its worthy of discussion :)

Well. That's not a whole lot of progress is it?! We had the official update via email teaser from Towers on 20th December, and this photo is stated to be taken on 31st December.. that's nearly two weeks with very little visible progress.

I'll be keeping my eye on the official SW7 mini-site to see what happens with that countdown...

Even if the park was damp and muddy, there's no reason why that photo can't be taken on the same day. I don't know either way as I'm not the photographer.

But If its sunset, the sun will be lower down and taking a photo while the sun in in view would make it look a lot brighter then it has been throughout the day.

Either way, get a move on towers! I'm hoping most of the footers are now finished so the rest of the layout can shoot up. The interlocking batwing and cobra roll seem a lot lower then in the plans though, hence the pit. So plans have changed slightly, though that is a case of my opinion and the perception of the picture.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Taking photos from staff areas isn't a very clever idea, someone is asking for trouble, but anyway...

The opening date doesn't really matter, I'd hope that some of you could handle the ride opening a few weeks later than planned (If it is the case that it doesn't open on time, I think it will)

This could be completely irrelevant but i'm currently trying to book a room in one of the hotels for the 15th of march and it says there are rooms available, BUT when I get to the "add additional items" e.g. Park tickets, it says the theme park is open from the 24th of March? is this normal?

I have the opening weekend off and the weekend after, so even if its delayed by a week, Im not that fussed. Its not going to be good for the park though if they are going to have to admit that they cannot get the ride open for their original opening date. This is why Im sure they will do everything within their power to get the ride open, even if some parts are not finished properly.

Osaka12 said:
This could be completely irrelevant but i'm currently trying to book a room in one of the hotels for the 15th of march and it says there are rooms available, BUT when I get to the "add additional items" e.g. Park tickets, it says the theme park is open from the 24th of March? is this normal?

Yeah it is, Park is open on the 16th March
Last year the park opened on the 24th March

They just have not changed it.

The questions are
what progress has be done that we cant see in that photo?
Has anything happened in the hole?

As soon as they have the shell of the station up theming can start on it, there is nothing stopping them from running multiple teams doing difference area/ build tasks.

I can see them having a track (ride build) team, a theming team and landscaping team working on this to get it done on time.

Surely concentrating on the pit is good for the whole, as (this is providing the glass floored shop is going ahead) it means they can start to place the glass and start on the shop. I think they're just trying to do it in a way to make it easier and quicker for all parties involved. We also can't see what's going on at the other end, there may be a lot that's been done there. It doesn't have to be done in order does it? It'll join up just the same in the end.

I personally think this will open late and if its a choice between waiting an extra few weeks to get a complete experience rather than half the product on the 16th i go for the former. I don't hold with the idea that it would be a huge problem for Alton Towers to delay the opening. The only people who really will realise the ride is delayed will be enthusiasts and the only people who will have a go at Towers for it are the usual "Towers haters" who will gloat a bit and move on.

I think Sub-Terra proves that there is more damage in opening a sub-standard ride than delaying its opening. Even late into the season people who had ridden Sub-Terra before the refurb where still posting on social media stating their opinion far and wide having never ridden the updated version. That was a whole seasons worth of bad reviews compared with a few stressed out geeks for a couple of weeks if SW7 is delayed.

As for the photo, i have no idea why people are getting stressed about it, TT know the risks associated with entering a building site and its their choice to acquire these images. I just wish people would stop trying to drag up a rivalry that is really very boring now.

When Rita opened in 2005 was that delayed or was it always meant to open a few weeks after the season started?

If it was delayed what sort of effect did it have? If any at all?

Josh said:
When Rita opened in 2005 was that delayed or was it always meant to open a few weeks after the season started?

If it was delayed what sort of effect did it have? If any at all?

It was never intended to open with the park but 98% of guests will never know SW7 was delayed and Rita proves a new ride opening a bit later than the park has little effect on anything other than geeks.

True, when I went on park in March 2005 I knew Rita wouldn't be open so I was a bit miffed, but my cousins didnt even know there was a new ride at all, so it didn't bother them.

I do think that this will open on time, somehow. But if it comes down to it I would agree that they should delay the opening to make sure that all the effects work properly so we don't have another sub-terra fiasco.

The funny thing about sub-terra is that it was never meant to have the scare maze in it, the only thing that wasn't working at opening was the effects like the back prodders, leg ticklers etc. So even if it had opened with everything they wanted working perfectly, it would've still had to close for a week to add the scare maze anyway as that was never in the original plan.

The problem comes when they already advertise an opening date and then have to say that it wont be open on that date.

BigDave said:
The problem comes when they already advertise an opening date and then have to say that it wont be open on that date.

I imagine they will make a decision before the major marketing starts, few people will remember a few posters on Towers Street from the previous year.

Dave said:
BigDave said:

I imagine they will make a decision before the major marketing starts, few people will remember a few posters on Towers Street from the previous year.

It might be interesting to note that any snippets of marketing that have come out during the closed season have all said simply March 2012, and not the 16th of March. They might be gearing themselves up for delaying it as you say.

Exactly. Equinox your just being rude. No offence but i only said it wasn't taken yesterday. Don't be so rude. Everyone has there own opinions that can be shared on the forum. Your just being childish by escalating things.

Josh said:
It might be interesting to note that any snippets of marketing that have come out during the closed season have all said simply March 2012, and not the 16th of March. They might be gearing themselves up for delaying it as you say.

Maybe not, if you look on the website at the bottom it states:

The park is open for the main season between 16 March - 2 November 2013 - that means 225 action-packed days - visit the Alton Towers Resort today!

This does not mean however that they are ready to open SW7 on opening day but there is a date we have :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.