• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Rob said:
Yeah, they must be a good reason as to why they have gone and created a large pit like that rather than just dig as was shown on the plans. It's going to be very interesting to see what they do eventually do with it.

:)

Maybe it was for ease of working.......

I've seen the picture now. Oh dear.

I think I can just about make out the prelift does do a roll, but it's hard to tell.

It's good that much of the station frame is up, but there's still nothing up the toilet block side. There's still diggers there! This really is bad news.

These things can go up in a weekend once the footers etc are in place. I think Merlin just like to give the impression of living on the edge if you look at Zufari construction also.

Tom said:
These things can go up in a weekend once the footers etc are in place. I think Merlin just like to give the impression of living on the edge if you look at Zufari construction also.

Please tell me that was a joke right? It would take a weekend just to move the pieces from the car park!

Ive always been one to say not to worry, Alton know what they are doing and it will be ready on time.... buuuuutttt, seeing that picture now im not so sure. Why have they not laid footers for the rest of the track is what puzzles me?? They cant put up the track without any footers.

Also of concern is that historically in the UK we tend to get our worst weather end of Jan/Feb and into March. Last year we have sub zero temperatures, snow, rain, gales, I remember being in Alton hotel opening day and the park being closed the next day due to snow blizzards!!!!!

As the chucklebrothers would say - oh dear oh dear

BigT said:
Tom said:

Please tell me that was a joke right? It would take a weekend just to move the pieces from the car park!

I agree. I'd take them more than a weekend just to get the supports all in. These thing can go up quick, yes. But not that quick! Plus, as they don't bolt the supports to the footers it'll take even longer, as the supports have to be cemented in, and held in place while it sets.

Massively disappointing but not surprising. I don't think we'll see this open for Easter. I think marketing will now be gearing up for a summer launch with the ride 'soft opening' just after Easter. If they hold back on marketing spend and hit hard with the budget later into the year they might claw back visitor numbers, but I imagine they will still be down. Just speculation of course. :-\

I am amazed that there is no 'insider' information coming out as to why the project is so delayed. Have they found an Indian burial ground or something?? :-X

Maybe the Ropers have had some pottery done in their factory and styled to look like ancient roman relics. Then they've snuck into the site at the dead of night and buried them where the park will dig them up ;)

It does seem odd that nothing has come out, I agree, but in general Towers seem to have been very tight lipped and security conscious about this project. There's still an awful lot we don't know, which we at least had hints to by this time on other projects...

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I imagine this isn't the case, but for pure speculation... we already know TT have had discussions with AT management about hiding their secret element... Could they also have agreed them to release images later than they were taken... Crafty snakes them :)

Then, a miracle as it opens on time. I love controversy. The after it opens, they release the real dates.

Maybe our very own Rob is in on on it too... ;)

smudge said:
I imagine this isn't the case, but for pure speculation... we already know TT have had discussions with AT management about hiding their secret element... Could they also have agreed them to release images later than they were taken... Crafty snakes them :)

Then, a miracle as it opens on time. I love controversy. The after it opens, they release the real dates.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

;)

I just don't get it still, I can't believe how little has been done.
They haven't even finished the landscaping! Something is not right with this project and my money still goes on the ride itself not finished for some reason so they aren't so bothered about the rest for the time being.

I think we'll find that in 2 weeks the whole thing will be up.

The big piece of themeing will be added once concrete is laid down, and then they'll be able to start with some basic testing.

I expect there is a reason why they can't currently add track, probably to do with what's going on under the station etc.

Just no idea what we're seeing here now, as it doesn't appear to have enough room for more inversions underneath.

I think at the moment their priorities will be do build the maintenance shed, and finish landscape around the toilet block end of the site. Once the maintenance shed, and station have been completed, and made watertight then they can begin internal theming, electrics, and take delivery of the trains.

Once they've got these jobs done then they can begin with placing the track, whilst other important jobs are going on at the same time. The track, if any other eurofighters are to go by, should go up relatively quickly. Opening is obviously a long way off, but I don't think that amount of track that has been completed is a main indicator of how delayed they are.

smudge said:

Oh dear... this is a rollercoaster, not top secret government plans. ;)

The reason they can't add track is that there are no footers! Look again at the picture just soil, they have to put in footers and a concrete base on the whole of the area that they just dug up like they did in the pit plus put retaining walls next to the toilets! Then they can start putting in the supports for the track.
At that point they may be able to add the track but 2 weeks! More like 2 months.

smudge said:

Damn you got me! ;) I can assure that's not the case though, there really has just been a lack of progress on this project.

:)

Yes, don't think for one minute that the pictures are from the day they are posted. I think we should chip in for a hot air balloon flight over the area.

Blaze said:
For those of us who don't have an account with them, when will this new TTF update be on their facebook?

I'm interested to see how much of the station is up, what the top end of the site is like and see more of the prelift.

I will post the image on here tonight for those of you that don't have a TT account. To clear any conspiracy the image was taken yesterday 5th of January 2013.

I don't believe there's a conspiracy, what would be the point?

Besides, our own pictures confirm the amount of track at the station end of the site, and the state of the station.

I fully believe the picture was taken yesterday.

To be fair to Towers, there are a lot of footers in position around the middle level of the site, they're just covered in dirt from all the landscaping. You can see them if you zoom in (just about). I would think that track construction has not progressed due to the fact that the cranes still need access to the middle level of the site to construct the station building. Once the station is complete, I would think track for the middle level of the site will continue rapidly.

However, that does not excuse the lack of development around the toilet block and the general lateness of these developments.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.