• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Tom said:
I have no idea how the equivalent situation with Rita unfolded in 2005 as I didn't visit in that year, however;

I'm not sure I can visualise the park - and certainly not the X Sector - open if the ride isn't ready. Surely the amount of upset it would cause in disappointment wouldn't be worth it.
I really don't get why some people think this - if anything, Towers is unusual (albeit only very, very slightly) in always opening attractions at the start of season. Loads of other European/worldwide parks don't do it, and it never causes any problems.

I'm a firm believer that there's nothing wrong with opening new attractions mid-season. That way you can avoid advertising a specific date until very close to the time, and also you can benefit from an initial wave of visitors at the start of the season, and a second wave to coincide with the opening of the new attraction.

Rob said:
Here is what they could do. Red would be the route to Oblivion. Blue would be a fence stopping people from going anywhere near the site. It could work.

That's what I had in mind. I just didn't know if there was actually a path back there :p (my knowledge of X-Sector lacks somewhat).

If they decided to keep Oblivion open that would be the best option. It allows enough clearance with the two flat rides closed to keep H&S happy, doesn't disrupt guests and allows the construction to go smoothly. All round good idea.

Although in an ideal world it would be nice if they didn't have to resort to doing any of this and just have a shiny new ride ready for March.

By opening day I think the track will be in place, so that will remove a lot of the heavy plant on site and the need to move steel along the paths (hence the mud everywhere). What wont be in place will be the finished queue lines, paths, fences, possibly electrics, and some landscaping / theming.

This can be done behind the SW7 barriers and the rest of X Sector should be able to continue safely with the public walking around.

They should make more use of the servant's tunnel as well - whenever I'm there no one ever sees or uses it. If X-Sector were fenced off like that then they should highlight it a bit more.

Moley said:
Blaze said:
This really is bad news.

It is great news, can you imagine how quiet this forum would be if this was on time?
There would probably be even more discussion, as we'd have a fully erect ride to discuss! :)

Those pictures really are scary, I can't actually see where some of the footers are going to be placed, it looks like they haven't finished digging when you remember the staffordshire knot is going over the toilets.

Edit: Originally wrong thread sorry!

Orlando parks said:
Would the crane seen in the area around blivy's drop suggest it is getting a repaint after all?

If only, if only....... :(

Orlando parks said:
Would the crane seen in the area around blivy's drop suggest it is getting a repaint after all?

I thought that to start with, but I think they would use a cherry picker for painting not a crane.
Maybe it's just being parked there but it does have its stablizers extended so who knows!

LordOfDarkness said:
Those pictures really are scary, I can't actually see where some of the footers are going to be placed, it looks like they haven't finished digging when you remember the staffordshire knot is going over the toilets.

Edit: Originally wrong thread sorry!
I think you have the site the wrong way around in your mind... The 'Staffordshire Knot' element is at the Oblivion end of the site and is made up of track that is currently constructed :)

Rob said:
Here is what they could do. Red would be the route to Oblivion. Blue would be a fence stopping people from going anywhere near the site. It could work.

SW7route_zps09796b64.jpg

:)

I'd just be worried about congestion with that route. X-Sector gets crowded enough already, and I don't think the path round the back is big enough to handle the foot fall! I hope it is, I'd like to get on Oblivion for a sneaky peek :p

Alton might also want to keep Oblivion closed to preserve the secrecy of SW7 while it's still being finished?

Dar said:
Rob said:

SW7route_zps09796b64.jpg

:)

I'd just be worried about congestion with that route. X-Sector gets crowded enough already, and I don't think the path round the back is big enough to handle the foot fall! I hope it is, I'd like to get on Oblivion for a sneaky peek :p

Alton might also want to keep Oblivion closed to preserve the secrecy of SW7 while it's still being finished?

I think it would be in the parks interest to really advertise SW7 on park if it were to open late. There's nothing quite as effective for marketing a ride than actually seeing the ride in action, so if Alton properly advertised that the ride was due to open late, then having the ride testing, for everyone to see would probably ensure a lot of guests visited again, later in the year.

Don't see what the progress of SW7 has to do with the ability to give Oblivion a lick of paint. You would assume that they could quite easily contract a different company to paint at the same time as construction is going on.

Though I am skeptical about Oblivion getting a lick of paint. It's been grey too long for anyone other than enthusiasts to notice!

Have I missed something, has it now been confirmed as delayed?

I still have some faith this will get built on time.........just

JB1985 said:

It is not confirmed, but from speculation and the fact that little progress has been made recently, people are leaning towards a delay.

Sources: TS News & TT's latest photo update.

JB1985 said:

It hasn't been confirmed but if you look at the latest photo on TT then you will realise this has zip all chance of being finished on time.

I don't like being negative I really don't but I'm genuinely gobsmacked by the lack of progress.

yes just looked at the photo, and yeh, 8 weeks away from opening, I would say 12 weeks of work still judging this against other coaster constructions i have followed.

This to me says one (or more) of:-

1) there is a secret element which has had significant unexpected problems during testing at Gerst, hence the delay on site
2) major groundworks issues
3) seriously bad planning by merlin

Regrettably, I think its no. 3

From the site photo it looks like what it should have done in October 2012

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.