• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Soooo, Tatenhill Aviation's FB page just shares this image;

486134_268718536590963_128032501_n.jpg

Would I be right in saying it looks like SW7's station building has walls?

536951_425694084167117_2063370089_n.png

Zooming in, station construction is clear, with possible walls and a bit more track in place.

Another hint at continuing work on the site - the cranes have moved. There wasn't one at the top of the site the other day. Perhaps the groundwork for the track above the toilet block was just completed in time and the next part to go up is the lift hill?

Sammy said:
Soooo, Tatenhill Aviation's FB page just shares this image;

486134_268718536590963_128032501_n.jpg

Would I be right in saying it looks like SW7's station building has walls?
Such an amazing photo, and I'm glad too see progress even if it is walls :)

It's nice to see an ariel image that's allowed on this site ;) it certainly looks like some walls are up, and it looks like they're putting concrete down at the top of the site as the pump's back :)

Wow that's a lovely photo, Towers is beautiful in the snow.

It does look like that station may have wall in the photo, although I was around there today and couldn't see any from outside of the park. It looked and sounded like they were putting up more station steelwork today; they may have been doing stuff further up the site as well, I couldn't tell.

Also I don't think any track work is taking place in these conditions, the Gerstlauer car was parked in the ATH car park today and it doesn't look like any more track has been moved from the car parks. They were however moving station steelwork.

There was yet another delivery of the concrete wall slabs today, they have a load of them.

Finally I'd imagine the snow has effected construction a fair amount, there is a lot of it at Towers. The forecast for the next few days isn't great either. It's good that they are still getting on with what they can though.

:)

Also, do I see a concrete pump in the picture...

Pouring concrete in freezing temperatures and snow, not generally advisable! :p

oooooh, look everybody, there is a concrete pump at the top of the site I do believe! ;)

So, it appears that, from the recent update, more digging has taken place at the other end of the site.

Also, more steelwork has been placed confirming that the drop adjacent to the station will be indoors, as well as other foundations for the shop to be placed.

Two more sections of track have been erected, immediately after the Staffodshire-Knot element.

Track is still being delivered.

Longy said:
Two more sections of track have been erected, immediately after the Staffodshire-Knot element.

To me it looks like those pieces of track were in place when the last update was done?

No surprise to me that no further track has gone up, I have a bad feeling it's going to be slow progress for a couple of weeks now. At least the station building is coming along nicely.

Rob said:
Longy said:

To me it looks like those pieces of track were in place when the last update was done?

No surprise to me that no further track has gone up, I have a bad feeling it's going to be slow progress for a couple of weeks now. At least the station building is coming along nicely.

So they were. :)
Must have been the snow making them stand out more...

TTF have done a SW7 in the snow update.

One of the photo clearly shows some real progress in the cuttings in the hill near the toilet block. They are steaming away with the ground work at the top of the site, if the weather is in their favour then i can see them getting the footers down quickly.

How high is the semi-circle supposed to be on the side of the station? It seems silly to have the shape that close to the ground if the pit is going to be covered.

Curiouser and curiouser

Whats nice to see is that there are staff on site. I, for one, thought that it would be a bit of a ghost town!

Got to remember that it takes a lot to put up a coaster - actually erecting the track is probably the least time consuming part! Getting the ground dug and the footers in is the biggest battle, and the groundwork is still going on, which is great.

I thought that the curved portion of the station looked pretty low. But if you look at the workers on site, you get a better picture of just how deep the pit is and how tall the curved overhang is. I'd take a guess the overhang is at least 10 feet high, plenty of room for a shop.

I'm really glad to see some serious progress on the ditches at the top end of the site. Hopefully they'll have their concrete walls up by the end of the month.

I really hop it's just camera trickery that makes some of the track joins look out of place, especially on the entrance and exit of the batwing :-\

Do we have a good idea about what they're hiding behind the blue box?

Is it a barrel roll or some secret element?

From one of the pictures, it would appear to be nothing, just the exit to a roll.

Heartline or zero-g is still being discussed :p

According to a few members there are just a few barrel rolls underneath the box. Which I think sounds about right for Alton Towers marketing team to ask TowersTimes to hide this if they are indeed going for the inversions record, as they would want to hide this if the inversion record will link in with marketing later on (and it of course doesn't ruin the 'surprise').

Longy said:
536951_425694084167117_2063370089_n.png

Zooming in, station construction is clear, with possible walls and a bit more track in place.

Judging from the building in this picture, though, there's definitely a clear outline of white rectangle where TTF keep obscuring the photos.

I'm erring towards a secret element of some kind. Unless the rectangle isn't where I'm thinking it is.

EDIT: Ignore what I said - I've worked out where the rectangle is in relation to the photos on TTF and see there's nothing significant there!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.