• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

This is a heartline roll:

333ak2ne94nv2bhs3fig00.jpg

And this is a zero-g roll:

8gosk002l0lri95vggse0r.jpg

While SW7's pre-lift inversion obviously won't be anywhere near as tall as the latter picture, it is still a zero-g roll. If you look at the photos TT posted, the track is clearly shown rising vertically into the inversion. If it was a heartline/inline roll, the track would merely rotate around its axis, with barely any vertical height change.

It looks to be the entrance of a zero-g as the track is going up, but then the exit of a heartline roll as it will be on a horizontal surface.

Re: Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Josh said:
It looks to be the entrance of a zero-g as the track is going up, but then the exit of a heartline roll as it will be on a horizontal surface.

Is there a roll like this anywhere else in the world? Because this could be why Alton said worlds first, then realised that the GP wouldn't care about a new type of roll, so they can say its got a world beating roll or something instead?

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

Josh said:

I can see that now - had a look at their full size image from the 13th Jan update and you can clearly see the track entering and inversion.

I'm assuming the track out of the inversion will leave the car facing the lift hill.

Sam said:
And this is a zero-g roll:

8gosk002l0lri95vggse0r.jpg

Thats actually a horseshoe roll...:D

The image posted earlier looked like the station had sides up but on the TTF pictures its still just the shell of the building - didn't help with the distance of that said photo. Hopefully the weather reports aren't 100% correct and the weather conditions for Alton in the next week or so improve, so they can construct all those footers and get steel onto them!

It's actually a corkscrew/wingover, and two of them together make the horseshoe element. But it does look like a zero-g roll. /Pedant.

Maybe the difference between inline rolls, heartline rolls, horseshoe rolls, zero-g rolls, corkscrews and wingovers is actually really vague and unspecific and that actually they're all different words to peg onto the same fluid spectrum that goes between this and this.

Sam said:
Maybe the difference between inline rolls, heartline rolls, horseshoe rolls, zero-g rolls, corkscrews and wingovers is actually really vague and unspecific and that actually they're all different words to peg onto the same fluid spectrum that goes between this and this.

You're just saying that because you got proved wrong. ;)

What if this goes up an incline, like a zero-g, but then performs the majority of the inversion on the flat, like heartline? A zero-g-line? A heart-g?

Dar said:
What if this goes up an incline, like a zero-g, but then performs the majority of the inversion on the flat, like heartline? A zero-g-line? A heart-g?

*clears throat* already beat you to that ;)

Josh said:

Just to clear this up - both a zero-g and a heartline have their axis of rotation through the rider's heart. However, the entrance and exit of a zero-g roll will be at different angles (so the axis of rotation curves), whereas a heartline roll enters and exits in exactly the same direction - around a straight axis of rotation.

For example, despite Mystery Mine's roll below increasing in elevation, the axis of rotation does not change - you could draw a straight line right through the middle of it, making it a heartline roll:

8vu34001bioff787897ige.jpg

Zero-gs such as on classic B&Ms have the axis of rotation usually pointing up as the track enters the element, then pointing down as the track leaves the element.

So, to answer Dar's question:

Dar said:

If it changes direction half way through (from going up an incline to going flat) - it must be a zero-g, as a heartline roll would have a consistent straight direction/axis of rotation with no change in track orientation, like that of Mystery Mine shown above.

Surely it's only a zero-g if it maintains ~0G throughout the roll section like B&M's do? If it was flat at the top it would not be 0G.

Why couldn't it reach 0g? Isn't it the reduction in angle from going up a lot, to going up less that causes the shift in gravitational force? As the bodies of the riders are still moving upwards at the angle they enter the inversion at - whether the track then goes down a la B&M, or levels out like we suspect this does, it would still lead to a brief moment of zero-g.

A heartline wouldn't get this as there would be no deviation away from the direction the track enters, so there would be no noticeable change in gravitational force direction.

This all makes sense in my head. :/

The only way to maintain zero g is to follow a parabolic path, if it levels out, it will have more than 0 if it's the right way up and less than 0 if it's inverted.

...So it's a wingover/not-B&M-non-entry-banked-corkscrew?

Hmm, would this be the first zero-G roll on a Eurofighter?

I do love this talk about zero G rolls...

323cd1ff1ccc4b74b40e34a.png

Surely this comes under the branding of you know it's closed season when...

This is insane; we're trying to work out what an element is when we can't even see it.

Not that I'm complaining :D

In my opinion Rupert has got the explanation right but there are some variations to the rule. In this case the fact that Gerstlauer don't tend to stick to typical element design but give them a little bit of a twist.
My suspicion is that it is an inclined heartline roll like the one shown on Mystery Mine but with some variation. I predict it’ll look more like the half roll you can see following the proper roll highlighted above that has been skewed so as to line up with the half loop.

That technically makes it its own unique element but it will feel very similar to a normal heartline roll. The way an element feels is more important than what it looks like as the name comes from the feeling it produces.

Like Blaze said if it is a Zero-G-Roll it would have to be within the 0g region which I somehow doubt but obviously can't say more without seeing how it levels out.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.