• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Sorry for goin slightly off topic here but this has been bugging me for ages! The "spider" theming for sw7 it was likened to a certain festival centrepiece earlier this year...anyone know what it's called?! Me n a few mates were talking about festivals etc n wanted to show them on you tube!!

I was thinking exactly that, SLC, but the structure used from the 360° tour is 51m/167ft tall.

They'll just plonk that thing down once the track is up. It's going to be very interesting to see what it actually is going to be in terms of the story/theme. It reminds me of one of the War of the Worlds tripods more than anything.

Scott said:
Whether the advertising is reaching its intended audience is a different matter - although I think it is. Though it is clear to see that this (small) campaign is intended entirely for families with younger children who may want to take them on a breakaway in the near future. Therefore this ticks all the boxes. When an advertising campaign is planned, the target audience is defined early on. Anything irrelevant to this audience is then deemed as not being necessary to show... And SW7 is thus unnecessary for this kind of advert.

Spot on Scott. Take last year for example, where two different adverts were created for Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D. Each one aimed for the thrill and family markets specifically.

You'd never see a Sub-Terra advert on Nickelodeon therefore, or an Ice Age advert on ITV2.

Yes, it's also a similar concept to the Thirteen pre and post watershed adverts.

For anyone who is a member on TT there is a new ariel photo that has been posted. It shows a lot of station steelwork up, as well as some foundations for the maintenance building and a small bit of underground track. Looks interesting :)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to source them.

I have to say, if someone showed me that photo and asked "When do you think this will be finished by?", I would not say "Just over a couple of months."

There's a lot of landscaping that's taken place towards the toilet block, and the station building appears to be growing along the rear of the site. In terms of actual track in place, there's little to no more than we've already seen.

There's also a crane to the right of Oblivion's hole with its arm extended, it doesn't appear to be directed towards anything in particular though so its purpose is anyone's guess.

I just cannot believe how little is there. There aren't even footers in at the top of the site, what the hell!

We all know that Gerst track goes up very quickly, but right now they have no footers to attach the track to! I am hoping for a miracle...

Nice to see that the station is partly up. However, I think even the hardiest of "It will be finished on time-ers" would probably admit that being ready for opening day is going to be a little out of reach!

Well that's an even worse situation than I thought. I'd hoped that they'd at least have got some track up towards the lift hill end of the site. I'm seriously worried that this could turn into a an extremely late opening PR disaster now.

There is a lot of ground work that has taken place to the rear of the site and some work around the toilet block.

I can't see it being ready for opening day personally, however once they get cracking I really don't think there is much substance other than trackwork, station building, a couple of set pieces (a lot of which are probably ready to position when the time comes) and landscaping. I'm not expecting very much detailing work on the theming, especially if are aiming for a 'clinical' feel to the station.
Obviously a lot of time needs to be taken up with M&E works and testing too.

I think we can safely say there will be no cut and cover to the pit (aside from the shop area), and there will be minimal pre-lift track.

CGM said:
Well that's an even worse situation than I thought. I'd hoped that they'd at least have got some track up towards the lift hill end of the site. I'm seriously worried that this could turn into a an extremely late opening PR disaster now.

I can't really see it being a 'PR Disaster'. Most people I know don't have a clue there is even going to be a new coaster next year. They haven't heavily marketed it to the public yet, the countdown has vanished from the mini-site. It's only us lot who are following construction, that are aware of these things. As has been mentioned before, plenty of new coasters around the world don't open on park opening day. It's really not a big deal if this is delayed (aside from people who have booked hotels I guess).

Well that seem's to prove the ride will not open on-time if the theft of the count-down clock doesn't :D.

Interestingly looking at the pit it seems the third closest to the station will be fully enclosed, then there are two huge trenches for the Staffordshire knot (note not shown on the plans, it never went that low on the plans). What intrigues me is the wedge of unused pit between the two apparent trenches, its a lot of work to excavate to do nothing with.

I don't care if this is delayed it's getting much more intriguing :)

Seems to me that the dive left out of the station is very much to "turn the track around" - doesn't seem to be any SAW style inversions down there.

Only place I could see a trick track going - and I don't think there will be one - is in the long section of station to the left of the site.

Dylan said:
I can't see it being ready for opening day personally, however once they get cracking I really don't think there is much substance other than trackwork, station building, a couple of set pieces (a lot of which are probably ready to position when the time comes) and landscaping.

Sadly we have been waiting for them to "get cracking" since day 1... I'd love to see a sudden increase in activity, but nothing seems to have happened rapidly.

It looks as though the underground section will be just a sharp turn, with the secret element/pre-show located under the maintenance shed. I will be interested to see how they will turn the massive hole in the ground into the new plaza shown on the plans.

Josh said:
It looks as though the underground section will be just a sharp turn, with the secret element/pre-show located under the maintenance shed. I will be interested to see how they will turn the massive hole in the ground into the new plaza shown on the plans.

It's all going to be covered just with the entry and exit points for the track into the staffs knot i would guess, its the wedge of un-used pit that's interesting me as they could have just dug two trenches which would have been much cheaper.

As said this certainly is starting to move off-plan now.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.