• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I love how some people moan about something so simple as a colloquial name given to an element on the ride.

Speed Monster has a 'Norwegian Loop' whilst G Force has a 'Bent Cuban Eight'. Thorpe Park called their post lift inversion on The Swarm 'The Thorpe Park Inversion'.

Calling the element the Stafford(shire) Knot, or just The Knot, is perfectly harmless and perfectly reasonable.

:)

I think 'The Knot' suits it quite well if you drop the Staffordshire bit.

I'm sure Alton or Gerst would manage to come up with something much worse if they ever decided to name it officially though. :p

Considering Gerst's last custom element shares its name with a lump of fat found under the buttocks (the Banana Roll), I'm hoping that they leave all future elements nameless lol)

The Knot reminds me of Slipknot who also are referred to as The 'Knot :D

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Ill settle with knot, but just not the other bit.

I know Dan mentioned thorpe calling Swarms inversion the Thorpe Park Inversion, as they named it - but I cant remember where the awful Staff knot came from. Surely Alton didnt say it.

It was fan made.

However most of us have started calling it that because it's a knot of track and it's in Staffordshire so naming it after the famous Staffordshire Knot kind of fits...

At least it would if it actually resembled the Staffordshire Knot, which it almost does but:
1 - the actual knot would either be like a reversed pretzel loop (in the vertical plane) or exactly as it is now but the tracks enter at the opposite sides to each other and cross before looping (horizontal)
2 - The real knot is technically one continues piece of rope not two separate elements.

^ If I had the time I'd do a mock up of what I mean but you'll just have to accept the wordy version for now.

Hi all. Long time lurker... finally registered!

I quite like the name Staffordshire Knot for a coaster element (although I was never in the Scouts so that may help matters). I like the links with the county and find it quite descriptive... BUT I don't think it's the right name for this particular element. i.e. it doesn't really look like one.

I've been referring to it as an 'interlocking cobra and batwing' when talking about it to friends, but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Perhaps the element doesnt really need to look like a Staffordshire Knot to have that name though? I mean it's not like a batwing actually looks anything like a bat's wing after all!

Does it need a name though?... Its not a unique element just 2 elements interacting with each other.

We may as well call interlocking corkscrews spaghetti rolls if we give this a name.

It was given the name Staffordshire knot because it looks like a Staffordshire knot. It's nothing to do with the fact the track is all twisted, but to do with the elements looking like this:
StaffsKnot.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

But the inversions don't look like the Staffordshire knot! Maybe just the bat wing if you turn your head and squint, but where is the cobra roll? WHERE IS THE COBRA ROLL... (breaks down to knees)

I believe Tim went through that in more detail!

I am glad we are having this argument, as the name has been mildly irking me for a while!

Read my previous post.

They only resemble mild similarity to one half of the batwing/cobra roll element.

And even if they look exactly the same, I still think its a terrible name.

I propose, that if the ride "duels" at that point, no one will care if it is called the butt crack element.

If there is a resemblance, its very mild and the 'knot' looks more like a pretzel loop.
To be honest I've only associated the interlocking inversions with the smiley dude in the logo, as will the public when this thing opens in May (if we aren't greeted by another delay).

In regards to the resemblance, would a birds-eye view make it look anymore like the knot?

Or perhaps it's one of those abstract construction things.

Seriously, some people need to lighten up.

What on earth is the problem with a colloquial name for a unique element?

Please god, may something else be built soon to move discussion forward.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's not an official name. It's a name coined by enthusiasts because of the knotted nature of the combined elements.

It does not need to look exactly like the staffs knot. It is not used by Towers for marketing.

It's just quick and easy to say when talking about the only part of the coaster they have constructed!!!

JoshC. said:
Anyone fancy talking about the toilets instead? ;)
Good point.

Does anyone know of the toilets at the top of x sector will be open come March the 16th? I tried calling guest services to ask but they didn't know and when I rang the hotel they hung up on me.

Please could someone shed some light on this? If those toilets are closed the rest will be very overcrowded and I hope they give a discount for the suboptimal toilet experience.

I'm sure one toilet block being closed will not cause mass congestion around the rest of the park. ;)

Anyone else hoping out the toilets get gutted, re-done and themed to the X-Sector theme? I've been in a few European parks with themed toilets (Europa Park and Terra Mitica do it best) and it's another small thing that really makes a park experience that little bit different. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.