• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Who ever took the photos did an amazing job! ;) :p Can't wait to see the park refreshed in just over a week and I'm very jealous of anyone who is going to John Lewis day this Saturday.

Rob said:
Some interesting back story from The Sun today:

The Smiler is the latest device that is believed to originate from The Ministry of Joy - an organisation that has never been seen or heard but has been conducting human experiments since 1998.
The Ministry of Joy devices first appeared when X Sector was created. Previous devices included: Enterprise, Submission, Oblivion and more recently, The Sanctuary.

Interesting! Nice to see that they really have put a lot of thought into the theme. X-Sector will continue to have the same theme but it appears that there is a new context to it all with The Smiler and The MOJ. And if you ask me it all fits together really well!

:)

One word.

NO.... a few more:

Lord of DARKNESS & Ministry of JOY?

OBLIVION/SUBMISSION

THE SMILER/THE SANCTUARY

*facepalm*

Does make me smile that white coats are still synonymous with the medical profession. They were banned years ago from most hospital trusts for being a major source of infection. I just think about chemistry lessons when I see a labcoat!

I'd much prefer to see them in nursing uniforms if they were to be tied in to a "psych hospital-esque" theme. Though a simple white coat over the top of the generic staff uniform would probably be a lot easier to implement and more likely (if we were to see any uniforms at all).

Oblivion already has a theme, already has a boss, and remains one of the world's most iconic rides.

I can see the insanity of MOJ is beginning to infect many of you.

A theme of human experimentation? Just like the Ministry of Joy?
A boss? The lord of darkness? Just like The Sanctuary and Doctor Kelman?

No, you're right. It just doesn't fit.

Dar said:

So, you think The Lord of Darkness was in the employ of Dr Kelman? That OBLIVION, and SUBMISSION are terms of endearment like for example, The Sanctuary, The Ministry of Joy, and The Smiler? And that human experimentation is the same as behavioural correction. Also that The Sanctuary, which is supposed to be antiquated which is the reason everyone else is saying it doesn't have to be anything like The Smiler, came AFTER the technologically advanced Oblivion now? LOL!

Continuity anyone? No?

Taking one of the most iconic rides in the world, and squeezing the story to make it fit a new narrative - for the rest, there's Mastercard.

How anyone can say Lord of DARKNESS, OBLIVION, GOVERNMENT EXPERIMENTATION and SUBMISSION are even close to:

The SANCTUARY, The SMILER, the Ministry of JOY are remotely the same is real facepalm time.

Accept it by all means if you are happy with these changes, but please don't try to make out like I am the one with a problem understanding it, that is ridiculous.

If you want to praise the changing of the dynamics, back story, and over all theme of X-Sector and Oblivion then fine (that is a personal preference, no right or wrong, just opinions), but please, do not round on those of us who are not happy about it in a manner that these changes are natural, make sense, or fit the theme - because they don't... or they wouldn't have to even bring it up, would they?

That properly annoys me.

Why? Because X Sector is suddenly a mental hospital? How tripe.

If this is true, then it is annoying that they feel the need to 'smiler-ise' Oblivion with a silly backstory about the Ministry of Joy. Explaining who is behind X Sector will defeat the whole point - you are supposed to not know anything about it to keep the area shrouded in mystery. What's more we don't need to pretend that Enterprise and Submission are "human experiments" when they are clearly just a bunch of flat rides made to look sinister.

Oblivion is an established ride; the theme is original and strong by itself and doesn't need 'evil hospital' clichés thrown at it just because The Smiler is nearby.

On the plus side, it is good that the main focus of The Smiler's marketing is on its theme rather than its inversions. They are gradually planting the idea of a theme park back in the minds of the public and showing them how a themed ride is more effective than an unthemed one.

Dar said:

That very same logic got us some of the worst theme park mistakes in the last 10 years:
Haunted House > Duel, yep that "fits" because zombies are scary, so they turned an authentic ride into a big zombieland gimmick.
Prof Burp BubbleWorks > Imperial Leather Bubbleworks, because it has the word "bubble" in the title, so they brought in a toiletries sponsor and ruined the ride
Oblivion > Fanta sponsorship, because both have orange colour schemes. Ohh perfect match!

How is X Sector suddenly a mental hospital?

The short quote in The Sun simply states the area as a place where human experimentations have been created (and tested on the public). Since when did just hospitals need to be linked with experimentations. It can be far more broad than that!

As far as I can see, the only legitimate thing you can complain about with this loose story is that by Alton Towers saying Oblivion was created by the Ministry of Joy, it takes away that mystery that Oblivion originally had.

A part from that I think people are reading far too much into things and acting very melodramatic over a short quote that probably does not entail the final storyline that is yet to be fully revealed by Alton Towers.

TheMan said:
Dar said:

So, you think The Lord of Darkness was in the employ of Dr Kelman? That OBLIVION, and SUBMISSION are terms of endearment like for example, The Sanctuary, The Ministry of Joy, and The Smiler? And that human experimentation is the same as behavioural correction. Also that The Sanctuary, which is supposed to be antiquated which is the reason everyone else is saying it doesn't have to be anything like The Smiler, came AFTER the technologically advanced Oblivion now? LOL!

Continuity anyone? No?

Taking one of the most iconic rides in the world, and squeezing the story to make it fit a new narrative - for the rest, there's Mastercard.

How anyone can say Lord of DARKNESS, OBLIVION, GOVERNMENT EXPERIMENTATION and SUBMISSION are even close to:

The SANCTUARY, The SMILER, the Ministry of JOY are remotely the same is real facepalm time.

Accept it by all means if you are happy with these changes, but please don't try to make out like I am the one with a problem understanding it, that is ridiculous.

If you want to praise the changing of the dynamics, back story, and over all theme of X-Sector and Oblivion then fine (that is a personal preference, no right or wrong, just opinions), but please, do not round on those of us who are not happy about it in a manner that these changes are natural, make sense, or fit the theme - because they don't... or they wouldn't have to even bring it up, would they?

That properly annoys me.

No, because Doctor Kelman was in the employ of the Ministry of Joy. Much like the lord of darkness was/is.
The sanctuary was also concerned with human experiments, some of the set pieces revolved around patients with permanent "smiles" surgically enhanced. The sanctuary is also much older than Oblivion, the article says it was "rediscovered" and has been conducting these trials for years.

They would have to bring it up to explain this massive new ride that has suddenly appeared!

It just seems to me that Alton are doing something pro-active in trying to make the new ride slot into the existing area rather than just hope nobody notices it doesn't have a backstory.

electricBlll said:
Dar said:

That very same logic got us some of the worst theme park mistakes in the last 10 years:
Haunted House > Duel, yep that "fits" because zombies are scary, so they turned an authentic ride into a big zombieland gimmick.
Prof Burp BubbleWorks > Imperial Leather Bubbleworks, because it has the word "bubble" in the title, so they brought in a toiletries sponsor and ruined the ride
Oblivion > Fanta sponsorship, because both have orange colour schemes. Ohh perfect match!

All good points, but they aren't changing anything here. Just expanding an existing theme to cover a new ride.

Dar said:
It just seems to me that Alton are doing something pro-active in trying to make the new ride slot into the existing area rather than just hope nobody notices it doesn't have a backstory.

Exactly! Even if you don't like the potential back story you have got to admit that it's good that they are at least trying. They could easily have just plonked a new ride in X-Sector with a different theme that made no sense whatsoever. Similar to Air in FV really, or Rita in Ug Land. But this time around they have tried to make everything fit together. That is brilliant!

They're hardly drastically changing the existing theme either. It's just a few little tweaks here and there so it all fits together nicely. I really don't see the problem.

...At least it's not a racetrack in the stone age ;)

It's hardly the worst fitting back story they've come up with for an area.

James said:
As far as I can see, the only legitimate thing you can complain about with this loose story is that by Alton Towers saying Oblivion was created by the Ministry of Joy, it takes away that mystery that Oblivion originally had.

I agree, X-Sector was supposed to be a top secret government experiment, and now we know which top secret government organisation was behind it. The "experiment" hasn't changed and the Lord Of Darkness video's still fit. I really don't see it being a massive problem.

I will agree, it is good to find Alton attempting to create a backstory - just not over something completely different.

And also, no, the article states that most recently The Sanctuary, AFTER Oblivion.

As I say, if you like it fine, I don't - but please don't warp the information again to make it sound like this suddenly makes sense as it makes nothing of the sort.

This IS an are re theme, and one I do not like - at least I have the kahunas to stand by that without pretending it is something it isn't.

You like the re theme from mysterious experimentation, to behavioural correctional facility then fine. Personally, I preferred the original, and I believe this does disservice to Oblivion.

My views, regardless of how good the ride is, that wont be changing. That isn't to say I wont like the new ideas either, but to deny this is pointing to a re theme - come on folks, at least have the courage of your convictions/opinions, rather than trying to attenuate the change as if this somehow all miraculously fits the previous storyline.

It does nothing of the sort, in fact, they are actually completely juxtaposed.

James said:
Exactly what I asked. There is no explicit connection with mental hospitals at all and it's irrelevant to the Oblivion theme.

I was replying to people's suggestions that X Sector should take on a quirky medical theme, with white-dressed nurses and the Smiler logo being painted on buildings.
Dar said:
No, because Doctor Kelman was in the employ of the Ministry of Joy. Much like the lord of darkness was/is.
The sanctuary was also concerned with human experiments, some of the set pieces revolved around patients with permanent "smiles" surgically enhanced. The sanctuary is also much older than Oblivion, the article says it was "rediscovered" and has been conducting these trials for years.

They would have to bring it up to explain this massive new ride that has suddenly appeared!

I could go on for ages about why backstories are utterly pointless, not just in theme parks but film as well. I firmly believe a guest should be able to comprehend/interpret a theme simply by being at the park and engaging with the ride, without the need for silly post-hoc explanatory backstory theory.

To make The Smiler fit in well with X Sector they should incorporate the existing visual motifs and stylisation of the area to blend it in. For example, methodically place a few X Sector-style ventilation pipes, doors and flashing beacons around The Smiler and there you go - it fits visually, while maintaining its own identity. And that way you imply the same organisation runs both Oblivion and Smiler, which is very effective.

But the bad way to do it would be to publish some tortured "explanation" on the internet which verbally tells the guests what to think; or to alter Oblivion's theme which doesn't need touching. So dressing staff in nurse uniform and pretending X Sector was run by the Ministry of Joy all along is meaningless.

Anyway, I believe this is all internet speculation prompted by that quote from The Sun, and not actually what Alton Towers are planning to do with X Sector. They have already taken thematic cues from Oblivion to design The Smiler, so conceptually it fits (although people may disagree). So they may try to suggest X Sector is run by the MOJ but probably won't alter Oblivion itself, since it is roughly the same team that created Oblivion's theme that have worked on The Smiler.

If you think this is a full re-theme then all I can do is sit here and laugh! It's a theme update as it were, nothing more and nothing less. Ug Land to Dark Forest, Merrie England to Mutiny Bay; they are re-themes.

Actually, that recently the Sanctuary bit is instantly confused by the next line... As it was recently rediscovered...

So most like, the Sun getting it wrong... Or the Towers PR person is a bit useless...

I like the idea of the Ministry of Joy being the underlying power in a way though, just sounds better a kind of shows an evolution of how their human emotional testing works... It's a similar thing to how Sub Terra ties itself neatly (ish) into the current 'lore' of the area...

Of course, for the most part, these are just really minor background stories that won't really be at the forefront of the attraction itself...

electricBlll said:
James said:
Exactly what I asked. There is no explicit connection with mental hospitals at all and it's irrelevant to the Oblivion theme.

I was replying to people's suggestions that X Sector should take on a quirky medical theme, with white-dressed nurses and the Smiler logo being painted on buildings.
Dar said:

I could go on for ages about why "backstories" are utterly pointless. I firmly believe a guest should be able to comprehend/interpret a theme simply by being at the park and engaging with the ride, without the need for silly post-hoc explanatory backstories for a theme to make sense.

To make The Smiler fit in well with X Sector they should incorporate the existing visual motifs and stylisation of the area to blend it in. For example, methodically place a few X Sector-style ventilation pipes, doors and flashing beacons around The Smiler and there you go - it fits visually, while maintaining its own identity. And that way you imply the same organisation runs both Oblivion and Smiler, without directly saying that and ruining the mystery.

But the bad way to do it would be to publish some tortured "explanation" on the internet which verbally tells the guests what to think when they read it; or to alter Oblivion's theme which doesn't need touching. So dressing staff in nurse uniform and pretending X Sector was run by the Ministry of Joy all along is meaningless.

Anyway, I believe this is all internet speculation prompted by that quote from The Sun, and not actually what Alton Towers are planning to do with X Sector. They may try to suggest X Sector is run by the MOJ but probably won't alter Oblivion itself, since it is roughly the same team that created Oblivion's theme that have worked on The Smiler.

I think people are confusing The Sanctuary, which was kind of medical orientated, with the actual experimentation area, which is X-Sector. I'd hate to see people in white coats around X-Sector, because that's not the idea! :p

As for the backstory, I agree that they aren't strictly necessary. If The Smiler were to just open, I'd hope there would be enough visual information to point to it being operated by the same people as Oblivion. BUT, I do think a nice backstory helps to tie everything together. It shouldn't be in your face with big posters explaining it, but maybe the odd hint in queue videos along the lines of "After previous experiments proved successful, the Ministry has decided to expand it's portfolio", and then a fuller story somewhere else to be found. Like youtube videos or a MoJ website. I have to stress that none of those stories should be forced and over long, a short and sweet connecting story would suffice.

I also agree that they won't be touching Oblivion's theme, it will just be incorporated into what ever the backstory is.

If I'm honest I think the most we would ever see in X-Sector is the sign on the entrance explaining the area (Which I doubt anyone reads anyway!) being changed just to include the name MoJ.

... That is assuming The Sun hasn't gotten the wrong end of the stick :p

Things I agree with here are, The Sun may have gotten this back to front, Towers have to be commended for attempting to make this fit together, and the ride itself and indeed theme is impressive.

I just find the ways they are tying things together to be ever more incoherent and inconsistent - which really wasn't necessary as they could have pieced it together perfectly with a bit more planning.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.