• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Surely the towers could have blended the smiler in to oblivions theme and not bothered with the sanctuary malarkey, but the have chosen to evolve the concept. The key word is evolve, grow, make new again. This is being done very well with the spider! A bit like your self, The Man, love it or hate it!

I am all for it, yes it is garish and ott but that is exactly what it should be, in your face, WOW factor.

Also going back to having preconceived ideas based on early planning apps and speculation! bad move peeps!

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding!

Will it really take the focus away from Oblivion, or make it look any less imposing? Oblivion couldn't be more of a contrast to The Smiler - it's got huge, thick B&M track and has a vertical drop unimpeded by any other track. They're polar opposites. Also, it's not like they're literally next to each other, as you walk into X-Sector you will see them at separate times - Oblivion is significantly more setback into the area.

I don't know, I'd say it'll have less focus then before but I still think Oblivions drop will be the focal point of the area. There's just something so very dominating about it that I don't think any other ride will match.

It's two very different artistic styles, Oblivion minimalist and Smiler tangled mess...

The main thing to consider is how they are staggered, of course the first viewpoint will most likely be Smiler as it's visible from outside the area more, but then as guests move into the area Oblivion's drop will appear and we already know the connotations associated with that...

Which ride will have the bigger impact? The obvious one, or the subtle (as subtle as a vertical drop into a hole can be) one?

Oblivion is a rollercoaster from 1999. People will still ride it, but not building a ride because it might make a previous ride look less intimidating is just silly. It's like a car company not making a new and improved car because it would make the previous look dated.

While Oblivion is still a decent ride, but if the park just stays in 1999, only making investments that won't impact on their previous investments from 14 years ago. I can't imagine the park to go anywhere.

If the ride takes the attention away from Oblivion, isn't that sort of the point?

The Smiler will obviously be more of a distraction than an unused tent, but Oblivion will still retain a good proportion of its influence over the area. It looks like it sits higher than The Smiler, and there is something about seeing the cars drop vertically that draws your eyes towards it.

I do hope that the sound of oblivion shuttle entering the drop hole isn't disturbed. On a quiet day its a brilliant sound!

This isn't right.

I actually created a sensible discussion.

Sorry everyone ;)

For the record though, no I don't think taking the focus away from Oblivion is necessary or should happen. There are new generations of coaster riders every single year, each one will get to experience it as it was meant - I keep saying this, but just because we are used to it, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Last year I took a few people who hadn't been for years, or were embarking upon their first major coaster experiences... guess which ride they all bottled?

You are taking a piece of genius for granted, I don't agree with that, and never will. It isn't deliberate, but it is a selfish attitude "I experienced it, bored now, need a new toy".

Guess what though? There are literally 10s of thousands of people every year that haven't. Believe me, to those, it is not some old 90's ride that deserves so little respect.

I'm quite ashamed of this poor attitude towards Oblivion. You have one of the best rides, still, even after all these years, especially of this particular type in your own back yard and you have stopped giving it the respect it clearly deserves.

I appreciate what Alton are doing, but this wouldn't have happened on my watch regardless for what it is worth.

That is definite also, as Rob so deftly pointed out in another thread, I'd have designed it yellow (smiler) and therefore it would never have gotten built ha-ha!!

I LOVE The Smiler and all it's crazy goodness, just not there or attached to The Sanctuary/X-Sector.

That is a true piece of structural art, I just don't understand why people don't get that. I am also glad that you lot don't run our art galleries, as we'd have the latest flashing novelty light set full of technology from B&Q sat next to a Rembrandt.

Designed 1996, constructed throughout 1997, opened March 1998, repainted 2013.

Compare that to The Smiler: designed 2010-2011, constructed throughout 2012, opening May 2013.

Then compare that to something like Rita: designed... 2004, I think? Opened 2005, rethemed 2010. The lack of thought really shows.

I haven't added anything to the discussion. Oops. :twirly:

Not sure if this is the right topic, but looking at all these pictures of how insane the ride looks with so many inversions.. How on Earth will they top it with SW8?

TheMan said:
COME ON!!!

THERE MUST BE AN UPDATE SOMEWHERE, SURELY?

A friend of mine works for John Lewis, they have got AT to themselves tomorrow (lucky people! :p ) so I'll ask them to take a good look at The Smiler. This is assuming they get close enough that is! If oblivion is open this should be achievable even if it is from a slight distance.

Do any forum members work for John Lewis and are going tomorrow?

Thomas said:
Not sure if this is the right topic, but looking at all these pictures of how insane the ride looks with so many inversions.. How on Earth will they top it with SW8?

It may be built before SW7 at this rate Thomas ;) - This is turning into SW7.5

Forza_Dan24 said:
A friend of mine works for John Lewis, they have got AT to themselves tomorrow (lucky b***ards :p ) so I'll ask them to take a good look at The Smiler. This is assuming they get close enough that is! If oblivion is open this should be achievable even if it is from a slight distance.

That is a crazy day really isn't it? On the flip side though, the weather is supposed be awful I heard murmurings of snow again! If I buy an iron or something from them, do you think they will let me go?

TheMan said:
Forza_Dan24 said:
A friend of mine works for John Lewis, they have got AT to themselves tomorrow (lucky b***ards :p ) so I'll ask them to take a good look at The Smiler. This is assuming they get close enough that is! If oblivion is open this should be achievable even if it is from a slight distance.

That is a crazy day really isn't it? On the flip side though, the weather is supposed be awful I heard murmurings of snow again! If I buy an iron or something from them, do you think they will let me go?

Yeah it is pretty crazy :/ . Snow would also be crazy too! The last thing we need is more delays to construction (I don't know actually, does snow affect ride construction?) Probably wouldn't be significant snowfall anyway.

Regarding the Iron (that made me laugh! :p ) I doubt you would let you join them, but they would appreciate your purchase as the profit will go towards next years bonus!

TheMan said:
Thomas said:

It may be built before SW7 at this rate Thomas ;) - This is turning into SW7.5

Forza_Dan24 said:

Maybe you could just turn up, mingle at the entrance and hope that you can just walk in with the rest of the group :)

Failing that, have your annual pass on you and plead that you thought the new season had started and hope for sympathy...."Well the park's open anyway, couldn't I just come in being an annual pass holder please, what with my 100 mile journey"?

Only joking obviously!

Forza_Dan24 said:
Regarding the Iron (that made me laugh! :p ) I doubt you would let you join them, but they would appreciate your purchase as the profit will go towards next years bonus!

First bit: Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, I was bound to fluke it at some time ;D - Second bit: I will buy one from Argos now.

BarryZola said:
Failing that, have your annual pass on you and plead that you thought the new season had started and hope for sympathy...."Well the park's open anyway, couldn't I just come in being an annual pass holder please, what with my 100 mile journey"?

Only joking obviously!

Yes Barry.... *shifty look*... just joking...

*grabs pass and iron*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.