• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
TheMan said:
Forza_Dan24 said:
Regarding the Iron (that made me laugh! :p ) I doubt you would let you join them, but they would appreciate your purchase as the profit will go towards next years bonus!

First bit: Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, I was bound to fluke it at some time ;D - Second bit: I will buy one from Argos now.

BarryZola said:
Failing that, have your annual pass on you and plead that you thought the new season had started and hope for sympathy...."Well the park's open anyway, couldn't I just come in being an annual pass holder please, what with my 100 mile journey"?

Only joking obviously!

Yes Barry.... *shifty look*... just joking...

Damn it just noticed something, I meant "I doubt THEY would let you..." oops :p

Annnywayys!

I like your idea Barry, in principle of course as you said, only joking... >:D

TheMan said:
*grabs pass and iron*
LOL! :p

Oblivion won't be dramatically effected by Smiler, for a start it actually sits quite a distance away from Smiler with only its exit tunnel section coming close, it sits higher up the hill than the smiler too, so its imposing drop will still be.... Imposing.

It's theme won't change, its impact will be even greater now its repainted and people will still get scared by that drop. It's like suggesting Nemesis was affected by Air's lift-hill passing over it.

I think the proof that the Smiler has been built to compliment Oblivion lays in the fact they didn't include an over-90 drop. They have built a coaster that is the polar opposite of Oblivion in style and themed in in a complimentary but unique way. As best as can be said from what we know at this point.

Dave said:
It's theme won't change, its impact will be even greater now its repainted and people will still get scared by that drop. It's like suggesting Nemesis was affected by Air's lift-hill passing over it.

I think the proof that the Smiler has been built to compliment Oblivion lays in the fact they didn't include an over-90 drop. They have built a coaster that is the polar opposite of Oblivion in style and themed in in a complimentary but unique way. As best as can be said from what we know at this point.

Firstly - no, it is nothing like air and Nemesis lol! Air is a quiet, sedate, elderly neighbour who may occasionally poke their head over the fence to inquire as to when you might be cutting the hedge. The Smiler is like having W. Axl Rose living next door whilst writing Appetite for Destruction.

However, the second point I agree with in terms of the over vertical drop, or indeed just a vertical one. That is the first time I have heard that mentioned, and if indeed that is to avoid clashing with Oblivion, then all I can do is put my hands up and say fair play.

I stand by my other views, as they are mine obviously lol, but I can't argue with that, it is a fair and interesting point I don't recall reading before. (STILL NEED A THUMBS UP ICON BOYS!! COME ON!)

*Thumbs Up*

Unfortunately I have nothing new to report on construction after 'John Lewis day', they couldnt get anywhere near X-Sector :/

Not sure what this means for opening day...

They may still be doing the paths down there though. The rides (apart from Smiler, obviously) might be ready, but if there's no proper way to get to them yet then it'll have had to remain closed. But yes, I do hope that at least Oblivion is ready for opening.

I've seen from foreign forums that some people have booked to visit next weekend with some featuring the Smiler in their avatars. They might be a little gutted that that isn't open yet, but if Oblivion isn't open either then that really isn't good news for them! o.o

Forza_Dan24 said:
Unfortunately I have nothing new to report on construction after 'John Lewis day', they couldnt get anywhere near X-Sector :/

That is concerning. There is no way that park should open with a huge chunk missing full price.

Wait and find out of course, I wonder if that is motivation behind the "come back for £1 when The Smiler opens" advertising...

As a Premium MAP holder, that will annoy me.

I don't want to hear any nonsense about it being acceptable to have that area shut either. Today is different, I'd imagine JL knew about it.

I will be surprised though if they don't have it open, I'll give them more credit than to expect it to be shut.

Dave said:
It's like suggesting Nemesis was affected by Air's lift-hill passing over it.

Well it is actually, Air's lift hill is an eyesore which is visible from most of the Nemesis site and is slightly detracting.

TheMan said:
Forza_Dan24 said:

That is concerning. There is no way that park should open with a huge chunk missing full price.

Wait and find out of course, I wonder if that is motivation behind the "come back for £1 when The Smiler opens" advertising...

As a Premium MAP holder, that will annoy me.

I don't want to hear any nonsense about it being acceptable to have that area shut either. Today is different, I'd imagine JL knew about it.

I will be surprised though if they don't have it open, I'll give them more credit than to expect it to be shut.

Like you say, we will just have to wait and find out. Th13teen was also closed today so maybe they decided not to open the whole park to JL and/or haven't got completely ready for the main season yet, fingers crossed!

X Sector was never scheduled to be open today.

It will open next Saturday.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob said:
TheMan said:
This will go down like a lead balloon but I'd actually rather have the smiler track yellow, just so that Oblivion's dark theme in comparison was even more contrasting.

Good job you weren't planning the ride then, as it would never have been built with yellow track.
See this is exactly the type of post that makes people feel belittled, or if you like "scared" to post what they actually think. After reading this forum for several months people need to get off their high horse because they "attend meets" or have some kind of rank within the forum - official or otherwise.

It actually upsets me to see people within this community think they are better than others because of different things. I personally have been on TTF/TST since 2005, yet because I rarely attend meetups these days or post regularly no doubt I will be subject to ridicule for this post.

Personally I agree with TheMan, The Smiler would have looked great in yellow or at least a yellow and black "hazard tape" look. So as not to destroy the whole theme of Oblivion, but add to the area with the new theme that has been added within this area.

Lets face it, there's hardly any space to build new rides, therefore rides will have to replace old ones or be built in their area. This may contradict their theme but AT have made their best to suit it to the current areas theme, no doubt if the area was completely rethemed to suit the new ride there would be outrage within the enthusiast community.

I post this as an enthusiast both following & working for Alton Towers for nearly 10 years, pick me apart if you must.

Machin said:
Personally I agree with TheMan,

You had me at this point ;D

Clearly a member of great intelligence and fine taste ;)

Seriously though. Although I can get stuck in on here, and to be fair to Rob in this case, we have spoken a fair bit and I give the lad as good in return, I hate to admit it, but he had me with the yellow building regs ha-ha!!

I appreciate the sentiment and meaning of the post though, and I hope that people will respect how you feel and your opinions, I wouldn't like to think that my posts ever discourage people to post themselves. That doesn't sit well with me at all.

I do try to encourage and add something to anywhere I post, be it serious, or a bit of humour ;)

Also, there are many members that don't post much who attended the meet at half term, and as my first, they made me feel very welcome - crikey I even have my own pee taking thread, the highest compliment you can be paid in here lol!

I know it is a bit off topic, but maybe this may mean a few more people who are a bit shy with posting, may join in. I personally love everyone's opinions and the more the better!

Machin said:
Rob said:
TheMan said:
This will go down like a lead balloon but I'd actually rather have the smiler track yellow, just so that Oblivion's dark theme in comparison was even more contrasting.

Good job you weren't planning the ride then, as it would never have been built with yellow track.
See this is exactly the type of post that makes people feel belittled, or if you like "scared" to post what they actually think. After reading this forum for several months people need to get off their high horse because they "attend meets" or have some kind of rank within the forum - official or otherwise.

It actually upsets me to see people within this community think they are better than others because of different things. I personally have been on TTF/TST since 2005, yet because I rarely attend meetups these days or post regularly no doubt I will be subject to ridicule for this post.

Personally I agree with TheMan, The Smiler would have looked great in yellow or at least a yellow and black "hazard tape" look. So as not to destroy the whole theme of Oblivion, but add to the area with the new theme that has been added within this area.

Lets face it, there's hardly any space to build new rides, therefore rides will have to replace old ones or be built in their area. This may contradict their theme but AT have made their best to suit it to the current areas theme, no doubt if the area was completely rethemed to suit the new ride there would be outrage within the enthusiast community.

I post this as an enthusiast both following & working for Alton Towers for nearly 10 years, pick me apart if you must.

I agree with the first point you raise. If we are going to dismiss someone's idea at least give a reason, no matter how obvious it seems, because it does come of sounding like "I know more than you do" even if that's not how you intended it to sound.

But in Robs defence he was replying to TheMan, Every rule has an exception :p

However if I can have my say on the Yellow idea, trust me the ride would look awful in yellow. Not because there is anything wrong with the colour but it looks dreadful when dirty (and it gets dirty very quickly). As it happens I was cleaning a yellow ride at another park yesterday and despite my best effort most of the marks just wouldn't come out and stood out like a sore thumb. Plus it has a bad habit of turning green over time.

I quite like the idea of yellow and black hazzard stripes. It'd be a hell of a masking job on tri rail track though! :p

In Rob's defence Alton Towers really would not get planning permission for yellow track. They had a heck of a job with Rita being red (and needing to be painted green in high points) - yellow is a bright 'in your face' colour and it would be a nightmare to get away with.

Personally I feel yellow would ruin X Sector too, it would potentially take away the imposing look the area has and detract from Oblivion, which should always be the focal point of the area.

A hazard tape look I like a bit although I still believe for The Smiler darker colours was a wiser choice. Saying that, it would be nice for Merlin Studios to try another colour one day, I think all their roller coasters made in the Merlin chain have been black now.

I think the first two paragraphs of your post Machin may be more suited to a topic in the Guest Services forum. Just so then this topic doesn't sway off into any types of arguments or debates on the matter. :)

I think you're missing the point of my post, it's not really to do with whether it would look good in yellow or not. It's more the attitude of his post.

So now the topic has taken a pick on Rob turn, great! This is off topic but I feel the need to defend myself.

Machin said:
Rob said:
TheMan said:

Machin said:
I think you're missing the point of my post, it's not really to do with whether it would look good in yellow or not. It's more the attitude of his post.

Firstly, where have I said I see myself as better than others because I now go on meets. Feel free to search through my posts, you will find nothing of the such. I am not on a "high horse" thank you.

And in regards to my post, I wouldn't post something quite like that to anyone. I've had many a heated discussion with TheMan and I'm sure we've both frustrated each other a few times. That comment was made partly in jest as a way to point it out. If a new member signed up and said that they would have painted it yellow then I would not have replied in that manner. Those that know me know that I can be sarcastic at times, and every so often that may creep into my posts. Plus I didn't just say what you quoted, I followed it up with a genunine reason as to why they could not build a yellow coaster.

So yeah, if you have a problem with me then at least have the guts to contact me directly and say it to my face where I can defend myself before everyone else gets their say.

:)

This ride can't open soon enough.

Some of you guys need to have your ailments lanced at source.

SMILE GUYS.

If it was all on time it would be opening this weekend and we could end all this discussion! I blame Alton Towers! :p

Can you imagine what the forum would have been like if Th13teen was delayed? It's amazing we've got this far without such heated debates :)

Out of interest what's the weather like at Towers as it's borderline snowing where I am, that can't be good for construction?

Tim said:
Out of interest what's the weather like at Towers as it's borderline snowing where I am, that can't be good for construction?

Well looking at the forecast it's apparently not going to get about -1C today at Towers which can't be good for construction! Though the weather is going to get "warmer" as the week goes on. This wintery period at the start of spring can't be ideal for Towers!

And apparently Gerstlauer have gone home again, that isn't good as I think they need to be there for any track to be put up!

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.