• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

James said:
Doesn't it look great though?! The contrast of the black track against the bright yellow train. Beautiful <3

It really does look amazing. Everyone here knows when I say that, I mean it. Very imposing! Quite quite unique again, most trains sit snug on a track, even Nemesis looks the "right" size.

Those however, look HUGE on the track, I hope they appear the same in reality and it wont work the other way around this time, because the track does tend to appear much smaller in pictures, for some reason it may do that again and the cars may look more "normal" sized when in person.

Personally though, I hope they look hugely over sized and "bumper" sized as they do!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Looks absolutely fantastic!

Probably not the best time to ask this question amidst all the excitement, but do we reckon The Smiler will have a SRQ? I want to whore it on opening day :)

Very nice contrast between the black track jungle and the bright shocking yellow of the trains.

All that remains now is actual footage of the trains going around! And that looks to be coming tomorrow :)

Been told by someone who works at Towers (cannot give name for obvious reasons), that the ride is still not working correctly and for various promotional footage, they have been winching the train round various sections of the track.

Dont hold your breathe for onride footage tomorrow unless they have been doing major work over night.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It looks like it's working in that last image.

Although it would be quite easy to fake it.

Its been round, but its apparently and I quote "making a terrible screetching noise" and they have been winching it round to do some promotional shots. Not sure how true it is, but all the recent grinding does support the fact that something isnt quite right.

BigDave said:
Been told by someone who works at Towers (cannot give name for obvious reasons), that the ride is still not working correctly and for various promotional footage, they have been winching the train round various sections of the track.

Dont hold your breathe for onride footage tomorrow unless they have been doing major work over night.

Surely if this were the case then these people from Daybreak wouldn't be tweeting hints about riding it tomorrow? They'd have been told that it's not functioning correctly surely?

Also, you mention "all of the recent grinding" - all we've seen is two sections of track get some grinding work done to them which all happened on one day last week.

Not sure when this guy is refering to, but he works on the rides and had a lot to do with the technical side. When he last saw it testing, he said it wasnt running right and that they still were trying to sort sections of track out. This might be resolved now and even if the ride is not running right, as long as its safe, they will let the press on for promotional shots.

The press were let on air, when the second station wasnt built, the lift had no railings and only the front row of one train was working.

Hey, new-ish poster, please be gentle!

Would the release an opening date if they weren't sure everything was ok?

I'm so excited to ride this.

Amy

Amy_D said:

Amy

I was thinking that Amy, though it would explain later night testing and not running it in the day lol!

Certainly wouldn't say I disbelieve it, or that it's impossible, releasing that date is a little strange though if they know about these issues if indeed there are any.

Saying that, they committed themselves to May, so maybe they are just going all out to fix it and confident they can! ;D

TheMan said:
Amy_D said:

Amy

I was thinking that Amy, though it would explain later night testing and not running it in the day lol!

Certainly wouldn't say I disbelieve it, or that it's impossible, releasing that date is a little strange though if they know about these issues if indeed there are any.

Saying that, they committed themselves to May, so maybe they are just going all out to fix it and confident they can! ;D

I hope you're right, and if there are issues they are confident they can fix it! I believe it's possible, and will be booking to go on opening day! :D

I would laugh so hard if it isn't ready by the 23rd. Mainly because I want to win the sweepstake :p

Seems odd how so far, there is no promotional videos showing a car going round. Just a still image. Wouldnt surprise me if AT ask them to edit a lot out tomorrow, but like I said I may be wrong and misunderstood what he ment.

Surely, if it's due a press video recording tomorrow, then it must be running somewhat OK. Regardless of if they'd booked it in or not, if the ride wasn't running optimally, I would have thought they'd cancel said recording, and delay it until a time when they've resolved the issue.
A screeching rollercoaster will not make for a good piece.

T said:
Surely, if it's due a press video recording tomorrow, then it must be running somewhat OK. Regardless of if they'd booked it in or not, if the ride wasn't running optimally, I would have thought they'd cancel said recording, and delay it until a time when they've resolved the issue.
A screeching rollercoaster will not make for a good piece.

Also I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have announced the opening date as effectively 2 weeks away if they were so concerned about these problems.

If there were any noise coming from the train, that would be a chassis issue, not a track one. Either way, attaching car to track isn't hard engineering, can't see how Gerstlauer could've got that wrong? The angle grinding isn't a big deal, merely smoothing few imperfect joints out.

I sincerely doubt they will have winched and duly clamped a car upside down for that one picture. Have we not established that doing a pull-through at all would've been improbable in that a) Gerstlauer don't do them b) you'd need multiple cranes in multiple angles to maneuver around the supports?

Lastly, it'd be a pretty silly idea to announce a late ride opening in 2 weeks if the ride wasn't working after initial tests...

The train looks great on the track, really good to see!

In terms of the press being on the ride, if they have been on then it's obviously safe to ride and working fine from that point of view. The fact that an opening day has been announced would make me assume that there have not yet been any significant or major problems in testing that will take any sort of time to sort out.

:)

I didnt say a full pull through or clamping a train upside down. I just said that they are having problems and a track issue would cause wheels to suddenly screetch and then stop if it is a tight fit. Air use to screetch if you didnt run it for a while and the rubber on the wheels went flat.

Also if the ride goes round safely, then people can ride it. It seems like the ride is working, but not how it should.

I heard there was a few small issues but nothing major, it will be open on the 25th.
Small issues are normal for a custom made bit of kit this size so I wouldn't worry.

I'm not sure why they are still not testing during the day though, I think it has something to do with finishing off the building works and builders generally like to work 8-5.
I have a feeling we could see it in action this weekend though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.