• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Finally...we get to see the ride in operation! Im surprised at how fast the trains are, it really races around the track. The whole thing looks so much better with the train going round and weaving in and out of the marmaliser, almost brings the whole thing alive.

The ride entrance on the other hand.....eurgh. Lazy, tacky, no thematic detail...I could go on but I won't. I think these two images speak for themselves:-

bh05.jpg

Replaced by....this.

04b16f5c197c46f091de883.png

I'm baffled as to why they didn't reuse the old entrance arch.

How fast is this thing! And to all the conspiracy theories about why they dont show the lifts, could it be because, well that part of the ride is boring? I am certain there is no secret element on that second lift

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Finally...we get to see the ride in operation! Im surprised at how fast the trains are, it really races around the track. The whole thing looks so much better with the train going round and weaving in and out of the marmaliser, almost brings the whole thing alive.

The ride entrance on the other hand.....eurgh. Lazy, tacky, no thematic detail...I could go on but I won't. I think these two images speak for themselves:-

bh05.jpg

Replaced by....this.

04b16f5c197c46f091de883.png

I'm baffled as to why they didn't reuse the old entrance arch.

I agree, but to be fair it is not finished. I feel the same way about the old Black Hole queue shop! :/

The secret element is in the building, if it was outside it wouldn't be secret!

And obviously as it will be sponcered by hotpoint we can all guess what it is. :D
that is a joke by the way

All I will say about the video is wait until you see it in the flesh, videos can be deceptive, this thing looks and sounds awesome.

Wow.

I'm really surprised at the rate at which the trains move around that track. I was hoping for a more "nemesis" paced coaster than "air" and it seems that they've delivered. Someone with a better grasph of physics needs to tell me whether a full load will travel slower or faster than that, or whether the increased would balance the increased momentum.

Wish there were two cars to see if they do actually duel, but thanks to JoshC with the effort on powerpoint! Though you probably wont realise you're duelling whilst on the ride itself, off the ride it will look very impressive.

Looking forward to getting on the Smiler more this summer than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and thats saying something.

in the video, the cars are full of test dummies, so having a full load wouldn't make a considerable difference since they are made to simulate human weights.

the entrance doesnt offend me so much as we have a great ride to support it with a HUGH themeing object. Same with the station, its a bit meh but the ride is great. Its kinda the opposite to TH13teen which was a poor ride and good themeing.

Still the only thing that concerns me is the MASSIVE slab of concrete this is built on

She is the only one on the front row though...

The heavier the people are / the more people who are on the train, will make it faster, although probably not noticeable because the change would be so minor.

no she isn't on the off ride shots, all the cars have dummies, you can see their red heads. The aren't typical ones, seems to be a new style they are using.

I don't care if I have to climb up a ladder to get in the train, I don't care if I have to manually climb up the lift hills, I ESPECIALLY don't care if the entrance looks crap.

GET. ME. ON THIS THING.

Oooh, that does NOT sound healthy.

If they are to leave the entrance like that, it is unforgivably bad. I've seen better entrances made from the billboard feature on RCT3. Actually... It looks like that is exactly what they took for their inspiration.

Yuck.

It's possible the wheels fitted are softer compound test wheels as these are used sometimes to highlight track misalignments.

JAMMYD778 said:
Testing just happened at the Towers with a video of The Smiler. There does seem to be a screeching from the wheels.

Credit to @dhsampson90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RY3Pu3mcUsM

Ooh, that doesn't sound too good, but I'm sure it's something that can be ironed out before the opening day.

Also, is that vid proof (not that it's really needed) of there being no freefall on the vertical lift? Surely if there was a reverse drop, the people filming would have been mentioning it

andyramone said:
JAMMYD778 said:
Testing just happened at the Towers with a video of The Smiler. There does seem to be a screeching from the wheels.

Credit to @dhsampson90

Ooh, that doesn't sound too good, but I'm sure it's something that can be ironed out before the opening day.

Also, is that vid proof (not that it's really needed) of there being no freefall on the vertical lift? Surely if there was a reverse drop, the people filming would have been mentioning it

I don't think proof is need, there's absolutely no chance of that happening!

The noise it makes isn't great though, hope they can get it sorted!

:)

That noise :(

Sort it out Towers!

Rob said:
andyramone said:
JAMMYD778 said:

Credit to @dhsampson90

I don't think proof is need, there's absolutely no chance of that happening!

The noise it makes isn't great though, hope they can get it sorted!

:)

Agreed, but it might at least shut up those who keep going on about. Although my frequent trips to TT to check updates there too may be causing me to think more people are insisting on it than actually are over here. (They can't shut up about it over there.)

I can understand why the theory of a reverse drop on the vertical lift came about. Hell, the thought occured to me when I first saw the magnetic fins. But it wouldn't add anything to the ride unless the lift was enclosed to make it a surprise.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.