• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I don't think you'll actually be waiting that long. From the video I got the impression that the ride isn't operating quite as it will when it opens, ie. it's very stop start on the brakes and so on. Quite normal for this stage of testing though I'd imagine.

:)

I'd hope it's not that long. I was expecting a short break, around 10-15 seconds, but I genuinely can't think of anything that could entertain me for much more than 20 seconds really.

Trying not to judge and keep an open mind of course, because there's no way of knowing what exactly the TVs could show, but in theory, I'd not want to be stuck watching a TV for nearly a minute mid way through a coaster.

I'm sure just before the vertical climb she says "This might be the vertical drop they were talking about?"

ToxicSmurf said:
I'm sure just before the vertical climb she says "This might be the vertical drop they were talking about?"

I think she said 30 ft drop. She must have meant 30 meters.

In the video the train completely stops at every block break, i would guess the ride is running on manual (so it has to be told to run into each subsequent block in the process). Once they have the sequencing sorted i would imaging you wont stop at the end of the break run and trundle straight to the bottom of the lift cutting the wait.

dazza4783 said:
ToxicSmurf said:

I think she said 30 ft drop. She must have meant 30 meters.

Yeah, after listening to it again you're right. :)

mikeroller said:
DiogoJ42 said:
I can understand why the theory of a reverse drop on the vertical lift came about. Hell, the thought occured to me when I first saw the magnetic fins. But it wouldn't add anything to the ride unless the lift was enclosed to make it a surprise.

Why wouldn't it? It's like saying Oblivion is pointless because you can see the drop. It would still provide an unusual sensation which is the whole point of the roller coasters.

Yeah but's it's nothing like that at all is it? Oblivion's drop is the ride. It's the whole point and climax of the ride.

If there was (and I know there isn't) a reverse freefall drop amongst 14 inversions, 2 airtime hills and speeds of 50 mph, plus all the theming, marmarlisation, a disorientating heartline roll, and potential projection mapping, it would all be a bit pointless and get lost in the process, and would be a huge waste of money, and of an element that would deserve more thought put into building up to it.

Like Diogo said, a reverse drop would only work if it was the whole point and climax of the ride, and was preferrably indoors. That's why Th13teen works. The new bit of secret technology is the whole point of the ride.

We should remember it's only going to get faster as the thing warms up. It's going to be impressive! I was scared of too much hang-time on the inversions but clearly that isn't going to be an issue. Though it's almost ironic that the airtime hills look like the best part.

I'm still humored by the amount of people badgering on about the secret element!!!! on the YouTube videos ::)

I really don't think the screeching is anything to be concerned with. Things need to wear in, and if anything it's the wheels that need attention, not the track.

That video really highlights how much track there is to get around. Starting to be very excited now :D

The lights - very sexy. If only there were installed as permanent for Scarefest

JAMMYD778 said:
The full onride video is now available. Doesn't look too rough but certainly is quick.

http://vimeo.com/65887753

RE: her her reactions and comments.... <Insert facepalm meme of your choice here>

It sure looks like it's got some good speed to it. But I'm more worried than ever about Gerstache now. Comfort will make or break this ride.

Never quite understood why people would want to watch an on-ride video of a ride, that within three weeks most of us will have experienced.

Looks like everything should be ready for it to open to the public on the 23rd, the fact that H&S are letting people ride it now is great, and gives the park plenty of time to work out any minor issues, and ensure it is fully working come the first weekend it is open.

Ian

It's a safe bet that other people had been on it before her. Probably John, Candy, and a few other big wigs.

DiogoJ42 said:
Probably John, Candy, and a few other big wigs.

John_Candy1.jpg

LOL! I kinda set you right up for that one, didn't I?

*sees self out*

DiogoJ42 said:
JAMMYD778 said:
The full onride video is now available. Doesn't look too rough but certainly is quick.

http://vimeo.com/65887753

RE: her her reactions and comments.... <Insert facepalm meme of your choice here>

...why? Most of these videos begin with the person riding it saying how much they hate rollercoasters, and then doing ridiculous dramatics all the way round. The woman on this begins by saying how much she loves coasters, and she seems to have an amazing time. Her comments are quite perceptive I thought, and her reactions seem genuine. She appears to know what she's talking about and be really enjoying the experience.

---
Edit - Ben

There are differences between a headache from sheer intensity and a headache from simple roughness.

Goudurix and Furius Baco can give you a headache solely based on roughness.

Saw - The Ride is a mixture of both, it both jolts causing headache and it's very intense.

Speed, one of the best coasters in the UK, also causes headaches after 2-3 rides in quick succession - but it's not rough. It's just intense.

I firmly believe that Smiler may leave riders with a slight headache, although for the most part, this will be down to intensity.

:)

Sam said:
...why? Most of these videos begin with the person riding it saying how much they hate rollercoasters, and then doing ridiculous dramatics all the way round. The woman on this begins by saying how much she loves coasters, and she seems to have an amazing time. Her comments are quite perceptive I thought, and her reactions seem genuine. She appears to know what she's talking about and be really enjoying the experience.

Yeah I agree with this, in a slightly softer tone. :p

She seems very genuine. While some of her reactions look a bit OTT, we've got to remember that she is a TV presenter who has been told to act a bit dramatic in order to 'sell' the ride and make more interesting TV. She does this well, but appears more natural. Better than other presenters who would have probably screamed for every second and tried to push out as much drama as possible.

So yeah, I would say she's reacted greatly and clearly shows some love for roller coasters (lets face it, they had to put someone on this that enjoys rides ;) ).

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.