• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

That video reminds me of RCT2 when a train JUST made it through the inversion or over the hill ;).

Love the videos that have been put up of it testing so far, the one from Friday where it pretty much whizzed around was great. Another month to wait (for me) but very excited now!

Different wheels fitted? Now where did I hear that first?

I have to be honest it looked to me like the film was slowed down at certain points for effect on a very high quality video.
The trains may bed in a little but they will need to be able to send empty trains around at some point so lets hope I'm right about the video!

Don't know why everyone's worrying. We've seen the footage of a more run-in train going around already, and it looked perfectly fast and no one complained. This is almost certainly the train they added yesterday going around, and they seem to be dabbling with weights given the lack of front row dummies.

The video was not slowed down at all. The train goes through the corkscrew after the batwing very slowly, however the speed of the video on the Marmaliser screen is not at all slowed down.

I agree that it will be nothing at all to worry about. This is testing, where they test different things. Quite normal really.

:)

Thanks for that, great video! Were they doing audio testing as well, pretty sure I heard some of the music from the game at various points in the video?

:)

The train definitely picked up in speed towards the end of that video, it was no longer almost stalling in the batwing and corkscrew. There's still a lot of screeching to be heard as well which suggests it's got quite a bit of wearing in to do and that there's more speed to come.

It's the first time I've been this year but I can assure you that every sound on that video is natural. No post-edit effects. Just natural sound from what the camcorder picked up. There was that music coming from the Smiler repeatedly :)

It seemed to be a bit quicker in the 3rd/4th angle, suggesting that the train is breaking in!

This is the first new ride that I have been genuinely excited to get on as soon as possible, ignoring the inside section and any extra effects there might be, this is one of the most sensational coasters in the world and I can't wait!

I'm guessing the screeching is due to wheels breaking in and the wheels slipping finish of the track. Surely after so many runs the paint will be worn down, slipping stopped and train will move faster?

No idea whether that's true just an idea I have.

Fredward said:
I'm guessing the screeching is due to wheels breaking in and the wheels slipping finish of the track. Surely after so many runs the paint will be worn down, slipping stopped and train will move faster?

I think it's more to do with the bearings freeing up and the wheels wearing in as we've seen what is presumably the other train running much faster.

I'm not sure if they're fiddling with wheel compounds or not. That might just be a B&M thing as I've never heard of anyone else doing it. But if they are, it could be to do with that as well.

CGM said:
Fredward said:

I think it's more to do with the bearings freeing up and the wheels wearing in as we've seen what is presumably the other train running much faster.

I'm not sure if they're fiddling with wheel compounds or not. That might just be a B&M thing as I've never heard of anyone else doing it. But if they are, it could be to do with that as well.

Arrow also do it, as do Vekoma on their SLC's. Pretty sure all manufacturer's must do it as it's the only controllable variable over the speed of a train on an already constructed track.

Man, this thing looks incredible. By the end of that video it really does seem to have a similar pacing and intensity to Nemesis. The final turn into brakes reminds me of that final Nemesis turn into the station!
Is it just me, or does the track profile seem a little odd in places? The first drop seems to kink/jolt as it turns and then at 3:10 (no idea what element that is!) it seems to hold inverted for ages, not just because of the speed.

Cannot wait to ride this.

paternoster said:
Man, this thing looks incredible. By the end of that video it really does seem to have a similar pacing and intensity to Nemesis. The final turn into brakes reminds me of that final Nemesis turn into the station!
Is it just me, or does the track profile seem a little odd in places? The first drop seems to kink/jolt as it turns and then at 3:10 (no idea what element that is!) it seems to hold inverted for ages, not just because of the speed.

Cannot wait to ride this.

I was going to comment on that first turn also....it doesn't seem right to me? But you're right, the pacing on this thing is insane, I love how much speed it carries going into some of those inversions...very reminiscent of nemesis! :')

Well this is wrong!

bf52fd6610b645c7b9cdc0f.png

It says that it will "preview today". I doubt it's happening, but can anyone on park confirm this?

Nick said:
It says that it will "preview today". I doubt it's happening, but can anyone on park confirm this?
The news article (that single line of text) on the ITV Website states it opens today, rather than a preview. In any sense, neither of these are happening. If they were, the competition that launched yesterday would be defunct.

Edit: That page has several different articles, all related to The Smiler, but all different subjects. The above line however explicitly states it 'Opens', as did a report on the ITV coverage today. From looking at Alton Towers' Twitter account, I was not the only one that read & heard this either. No mention of 'Preview' was there (I am aware it states on the page further down, but that wasn't there initially).

Not 100% sure, but thought the press preview day was the 16th? Maybe they have brought it forward?

NO WAY!!

Some Smiler themed staff just walked up my road emptying boxes!!!!

Oh... nope sorry, my mistake.

Just the recycling men.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.