• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

TheMan said:
NO WAY!!

Some Smiler themed staff just walked up my road emptying boxes!!!!

Oh... nope sorry, my mistake.

Just the recycling men.
Dude, I think you need to get out more. ;)

3142zqc.jpg

The turf already makes a big difference.

Dobba said:
The turf already makes a big difference.

NO LIKE!!

No really, I don't! I hope there will not be too much greenery around in a grassy sense, I'd rather have a rocky backdrop, industrial.

I know this will not likely go down well, but no, definitely do not like that.

Have to say I'm not keen on the creepier aspect of the Smiler's music playing across X-Sector. It sounds a bit too Carnival of Screams for my liking, though the rest of the music is okay. I'd have thought some ambient tune consisting of the main beat from the original track (played just in the station or on queue videos) mixed with a few other sound effects would have worked better? Ah well.

On a positive note, I'm glad to see the landscaping is being done nicely. That grass and the bushes along the path make it all look much better. The track is standing out against the green rather than it all just blending in and looking like a construction site. The only thing I dislike about the hedges is actually the long line of black fences that they sit behind. There's nothing to break it up like some concrete slabs with the Smiler logo in them (like what Oblivion and the flats have), some more pipes or something.

A rocky backdrop would be nice. Although the greenery does work nicely. It tones down the amount of concrete on this site.

TheMan said:
NO LIKE!!
Thorpe Park caters for your every need. :twirly:

This is basic landscaping but it's great. It feels much more like a finished product now - something established - rather than incomplete and rushed. The fences will also be better disguised once the bushes have had a chance to flesh out.

Strangely the rides that needed foliage the most, Air and Thirteen, were left looking like construction sites for months after opening. So I never expected them to bother with the Smiler. Good move!

...Now if they would just trim the massively overgrown trees around Oblivion, that would be even better.

The grass is a nice juxtaposition to the industrial, sinister feel of the X-Sector as a whole. I like it :)

I note, for a change, I will be in a minority of opinions here ha-ha!!

TheMan said:
I wouldn't say you're alone. A few large rocks like those found in the queue for Oblivion would also work well for Smiler. There's still time! :p

TheMan said:

I wouldn't worry too much there, Mr TheMan, this forum seems to disagree over things for sport!

I'd like to see some big boulders placed about the site, or even some bright yellow "Smiler Cans" but im pleased to see some turf being placed as there is such a sheer amount of dirt around this site it got a bit too "Brownfield site".

There's plenty of grey around to suit even the bleakest personality ;) Lets face it too, the grass wont get cut, it will look wild eventually.

I have to say, though it might not fit The Smiler 100% I'm glad they've added some greenery just to break up the bland concrete jungle. I think it kind of suits X-Sector though. The area has always been industrial and very brutal, but it's managed to tie it in with the natural surrounds nicely. I've always loved the planting around Oblivion's queue. It's not in your face nature, but it's not barren concrete. It strikes a balance perfectly for me, and I think it's visually brilliant.

I do hope that the area around The Smiler will be similar in time :)

Surely they should have YELLOW grass, just to really mess with people's heads! lol

Or they could mow Mr Twirly into it? ;)

After a day of test riding, John Wardley's marmalisation is complete:

941149_563359683695214_504413252_n.jpg

From the Alton Towers Guide thingy.

GaryH said:
Surely they should have YELLOW grass, just to really mess with people's heads! lol
Ian said:
Or they could mow Mr Twirly into it? ;)

Woah, lets not get too ambitious now. ;)

I quite like the grass, it makes the area that little less grey.

It's good to see they are landcaping that muddy bank along the back of the site, there isn't really much else they could do with it really other than put turf down.

It is a shame that most of the site is screened off by that ugly black fence running down the entrance path to X-Sector, it seems that unless you queue for this ride there won't be many chances to really interact with the coaster as a spectator. I wish they had put the jetty in.

:)

These new photos of the planting and turf going down are pleasing me so much. Finally, for me, it's starting to look complete. I was worried the whole area would be concrete on concrete, with black fencing.
This softens it up a lot.
Hopefully, they will put a finish to the ends / tops of those supporting walls and I will be satisfied :)

I think that the rocks lined paths, planting and landscaping make it look great. It really makes the ride look complete and gives it that unique Alton identity. In fact I, think it's the first coaster at Alton since Air that looks like an Alton Towers coaster which I find very exciting.

Spinball, Rita and Thirteen are just plonked on a bit of land and could belong to any park. Alton's coasters are known for being a bit more than that and thankfully, The Smiler is continuing that tradition.

The landscaping looks lovely :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.