• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Haven't seen anything on Towers site or social media pages about this, so for now I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt, even though it seems likely.

I wouldn't take that seriously to be honest. The only thing they have to do now is finish the queueline and paint over some of the parts. The whole thing could be finished on Tuesday, at the earliest.

*optimisitic post*

In regards to the queue meshing, as far as I am aware from what I can see, most of it is currently over parts of the queue that form the single rider/fastrack/ambulant disabled queues and not the main queue. There may be some over the main queue but most of it is not. I may be wrong but that's how I see it.

As for the queue layout, they are very very limited for space. There really wasn't much they could do in terms of creativity in the pit.

:)

From TT:

TowersTimes said:
The Smiler, The Alton Towers Resort's new rollercoaster, is continuing to experience issues preventing it from opening as planned.

Originally planned to open in March, the ride suffered considerable setbacks during the construction phase which resulted in the official opening of the ride being pushed back to May 23rd. Earlier today, TowersTimes uncovered some information about both the original delay as well as details on some of the more recent developments.

Early Construction:

The main contributing factor to the ride's failure to open in March was severe issues with the groundwork during the early part of the construction. This was hampered considerably by a major breach of Health & Safety regulations committed by subcontractor T G Cruse Groundworks Limited, as detailed below:

"Failure to provide trench supports, box's or battering to ensure that the sewer pipe trench (or part of it) did not collapse."

"Failure to provide supports or battering to ensure that the faces of sections of the main excavation (or part of it) at the site of the new ride did not collapse."

Source: HSE.gov.uk
http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/Notice_details.asp?SF=CN&SV=304321528

But the story didn't end there! As reported on TowersTimes earlier this year, the ride continued to experience issues during the final part of construction with various supports and pieces of track not fitting together as planned. However work continued swiftly and it looked as though the ride was all set to make its debut at a 'star studded' media event on May 17th followed by a grand opening on May 23rd.

Media Event Failure:

'I'm hugely disappointed I never got to go on it. It's called The Smiler and I was sitting there thinking what is there to smile about."
Global Superstar - Tinchy Stryder

"It's a shame I didn't get to go on it but I'm glad I was late because OMG if I'd have been stuck on it, I would have freaked out."
Renowned Popstar - Jessica Wright.

The Smiler failed catastrophically during the media event, leaving journalists and celebrities alike stranded on the lift hill. The Mirror and The Daily Mail covered the events with some unflattering headlines the following day. These can be found by following the links below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326456/Alton-Towers-new-roller-coaster-BREAKS-DOWN-leaving-Tinchy-Stryder-Towies-Jessica-Wright-disappointed.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-smiler-breaks-down-1895825

However, The Alton Towers Resort continued to advertise the ride would open as planned on May 23rd with nightly testing taking place and various journalists being filmed riding it regularly.

Ride Delayed Again:

With less than 20 hours to go before the ride's intended opening on May 23rd, The Alton Towers Resort announced the ride was suffering 'teething problems' and would not be opening that day. TowersTimes was at the resort for this day and we have considerable coverage via our Facebook as well as our new TowersTimes Live feature. Our updates show the ride's surrounding area and queueline is still under heavy construction and staff training is still taking place. The ride has not been seen running during regular opening hours.

Major Incident:

TowersTimes has learned that between the park closing on Thursday 23rd May and opening on Friday 24th, a major incident occurred during the ride's testing. This resulted in numerous issues with severe scraping to the track as well as an entire ride train being removed from the track after 'valleying' due to an undisclosed reason. Valleying is when a train stops on part of the track after being unable to complete the circuit under its own momentum. X Sector was closed to the public for the entire day so work on removing the train could take place out of sight of visitors although a replacement train was seen being lifted on to the ride later in the day.

No details on this incident have been released by The Alton Towers Resort and it is unlikely they will do so. However most references to the ride's opening date have now been removed from the official website. Due to the ongoing issues with the ride we believe it will not open for the foreseeable future and if you are planning to visit solely to ride The Smiler, you should hold off on purchasing tickets or making any other plans until further information is released.

:|

Let's be honest here, we know pretty much all of the stuff in that TT article already. The early H&S issues were found and pointed out on here months ago. And we know that it stalled, TT have just decided to call it a major incident and got some photos of what they believe to be "severe scraping" on the track. I get the impression that it not opening for the foreseeable future is more their opinion than anything else.

Well nobody truly knows anything right now - Towers website has now removed any reference to dates and simply states that "The Smiler is closed."

This at least stops them changing the date every day, but also shows that the ride may not open for another few days. With any luck though, the opening will be sooner rather than later.

Dayumm, I started writing this earlier but left it to do a gardening job. I come home to find all the exciting queue talk to be pretty well covered… but im posting it anyway.

The queue just seems like an afterthought. It’s a tricky site, however they have done a vast amount of landscaping to accommodate the coaster, which I understand would clearly be the priority, but when you consider the program of the experience they are creating, the longest time is spent queuing. In architecture there can be a richness in the approach and the journey through buildings, manipulating transitions, and engaging with the surroundings, I believe there is such an opportunity there in the building of anticipation. In the cattle pens you’re going to interact with the Smiler, but id imagine it will still feel more like a part of the experience you must endure before you reach the station, rather than a more unwinding journey that has a richer interaction with the Smiler, and maintains the building of anticipation.

I guess you can see that they have spent their time and money on the main attraction, perhaps rightly so because when weighing up the design decisions, it doesn’t matter which way you design the queue is still going to drag a bit, and im doubting there’s many queue enthusiasts about … but I guess I’d want a more holistic package from a Theme Park, or I guess I just think there’s an opportunity to reinforce escapism.
I'm going to sound very negative, I guess it becomes a habit, especially when you’re craft involved in design to only leave critic, therefore I want to make it clear, that I do understand there is contextual issues with the design and importantly this should be an amazing addition to Alton Towers and I will enjoy it when I can next visit!

Towers have replied to the TT article on Twitter after being asked by someone:

Alton Towers on Twitter said:
we suggest you only read official sources Laura, we're here to keep you fully updated! We hope to have the ride open soon :)

Obviously the official sources have been severely limited, ie all we know that it's not open because of 'unforeseen teething problems' and/or 'technical difficulties'. But I do see this as somewhat dismissing some of the concerns in the article.

Dismissing yes, but I don't think it necessarily proves there's no validity to TT's article.

Lets be honest, PR is all about spinning, twisting and moulding the truth to limit potential damage to the brand. If you read Alton Towers' twitter they're very careful in how they respond to guests - guests that even further challenge them after refusing to accept their initial response. "The Twitter team doesn't know" to me is a complete farce, as the face of the company and one of the main tools of interaction between the resort and its guests, the team should know everything in regard to everything in order to implement 'damage control' and best inform guests about their issues and concerns. Of course they know what's going on.

Scott said:
Well nobody truly knows anything right now - Towers website has now removed any reference to dates and simply states that "The Smiler is closed."

This at least stops them changing the date every day, but also shows that the ride may not open for another few days. With any luck though, the opening will be sooner rather than later.

Tower website still says "Join us...May 2013" on the main Smiler section and it's still being heavily advertised on TV, seen the ad twice in the last hour; that doesn't mention opening dates just says "Book at AT.com".

Hopefully, it will be soon though!

Ah, to clarify I was referring to the FAQ page on The Smiler being closed :)

I personally think it will open before Saturday, or on Saturday at the very latest. This is unless they have any further problems. I could be wrong, and it is just my opinion, but I would be a little surprised if it wasn't the case after seeing things yesterday.

Who's accountable for such faults if the TT article is true and does AT have any leverage to claim compensation from said party?

If it's got TT's name on it, I wouldn't really trust it with a pinch of salt. But with all the malarky going on with this ride, I can't be so sure. :/

It will open before the weekend, there was obviously "issues" and not small ones but i think they where more time consuming than catastrophic.

I also believe it will open before the weekend coming. They can't really afford anymore long delays and today they were painting the recently installed queue line fencing which appears to be complete now. Surely there's nothing else to install, although this ride is full of surprises.

What an embarrassing attempt at making headlines out of nothing! Talk about 2+1=5!

I'm sure this will be a quick fix, it was running brilliantly a while back.

I really hope it ends up running at its quickest in the end though... it looked so thrilling!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.