• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Poor Air, it's lost its top spot on the queue time boards! :p But yes, with The Smiler being added to the queue boards and construction fencing being taken down around the entrance, it does look like an opening is imminent!

EDIT:

It appears that the friction breaks towards the bottom of the vertical lift have been removed. I assume they were either causing problems or were deemed unnecessary.

:)

I think some kind of soft launch today would be better so they can iron out any of the inevitable problems that will arise when operated under load.

Great news though.

A pessimist might suggest that The Smiler is appearing on queue boards simply so that they can have CLOSED against it until eventually does open. This would reduce the number of queries and complaints, in theory.

37635147.png

Here we go ;D

I've just come across this photo (Source: @jadeconomist on Twitter):

blgypjwcqaatdf2.jpg

Really puts the Marmaliser into perspective, it's massive!

:)

I hope someone goes along the floor with a dryer or something. It's looking a little wet. ;)

The Marmaliser looks huge though!

According to BBC on Twitter, The Smiler will appear on Watchdog tonight. Can't say I'm surprised to be completely honest. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say though, will they be 100% anti-Towers or will they be objective? Time will tell...

Olii said:
According to BBC on Twitter, The Smiler will appear on Watchdog tonight. Can't say I'm surprised to be completely honest. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say though, will they be 100% anti-Towers or will they be objective? Time will tell...
Maybe they will announce when its opening in there reply to watchdog, any advertising is good advertising. :twirly:

Olii said:

Wouldn't this be a great advertising opportunity for Towers to send them a statement apologising for the delay in opening but also announcing that it is opening tomorrow :)

Yeah, I know, it probably won't open tomorrow and Watchdog will just slag Alton Towers off.

It may be nothing to do with The Smiler for all we know.

Either way it's Watchdog, they will only have anything negative to say.

It could easily be RE: Theme Park Pricing and the topic/article posted in a separate thread here, however as its Watchdog, regardless, it's an issue nonetheless.

The BBC are just annoyed because they didn't get an invite to have one of there news people go on the smiler first.

Just to fuel speculation, Alton Towers have just posted a picture of the in game 3D model of The Smiler and asked:

Thursday Trivia - just for fun... What is the ride time, in seconds, of The Smiler? If you don't know, you can find out by playing The Smiler Game - download it for free on iOS and Android phones from www.playthesmiler.com

On their Facebook page since they had announced that it would be not opening on the 23rd they haven't mentioned it at all from what I can see on Facebook. More evidence that, now they're acknowledging it and not mentioning it's closure, it may open shortly :)

Watchdog? Ouch. That's gonna sting hard.

EDIT: They can't be a major feature;

BBC's Watchdog Online Page said:
The team investigate 'blacklisting' by banks - and the effects on former customers who can no longer open accounts. Plus, how Britain's 'pothole epidemic' is damaging our cars.

Could just be a mention. Nonetheless, could be really damaging to an already fading reputation. :/

Alton are never going to make this mistake again, I suppose thats kinda a good thing to come from all this and future rides will be much better planned.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.