• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

TheMan said:
Those who don't like it, don't be afraid to voice your opinions.

And those who do like it don't be afraid to voice your opinions... In fact don't be afraid to voice any opinion on these forums quite frankly.

I would say its wrong to condemn something before its complete but to voice concern is fine, as is to voice positivity. And anyone who attacks people personally for their opinions will receive the usual moderation processes that go with that action.

Now its probably best to get back on topic

What I am saying is people should wait until its actually finished before writing rambling posts about how Alton Towers have lost the plot etc etc.

You wouldn't look at a half built car, or a half painted picture and instantly dismiss it as 'rubbish' would you?

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion about the direction it is taking (and by the way, I don't feel entirely positive about the theming at the moment) but this dismissive attitude from some people and then trampling over others because they disagree adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

At the end of the day they're not making something to purposely annoy or underwhelm us all - in fact quite the opposite. So I say give them a chance :)

Its not looking great- okay- but atleast its there. Some people predicted they'd skip it out, over budget, or laziness!
Honestly, the scale of this is unbelievable- the pictures do it no justice, so I'm going to wait until I can see it in full before I judge; infact, wait until its finished! So much more is to be done, its like saying that a cake with no icing is crap, even though its not been iced yet. (Okay..I can't do expressions, but you get what I mean)
On sucha big investment, Alton can't afford to mess this up. And this time, I doubt they will.

I really like the little metallic smile details on the arms, subtle and great. I can't help but feel people are still somewhat looking at this through the usual 'gritty' style of Alton's themes. I think as an absurd, slightly twisted piece of work it looks incredible.

The Marmaliser looks like tacky crap at the moment, but really it's there for the riding experience. I promise you, it'll have a few killer head-choppers.

Literally 'killer".

James said:
For those who don't like the look of The Marmaliser, go see it in person! I can't stress enough how brilliant it looks when you're standing in the area looking up at it. It stands out as a key element in the area and does not blend in with the track at all in person.

Pictures will never do it justice. I really hate how it looks in pictures. It lacks of detail, blends in too well, is not imposing, looks pretty ugly... but after seeing it in park, standing there in X Sector all of those opinions of mine have now been thrown out the window. It's the opposite of what the photos are giving out.

It stands out, it looks imposing, the detail on it so far is pretty impressive - for me, this will become an iconic piece of theming at Alton Towers.

I've really got to agree with this. Seeing The Marmaliser in person is truly different to seeing photographs of it - none of which do it justice. Take the picture I took, for example: when I saw they'd put on that piece, I thought to myself that it looked rather cool. But looking at the picture....yeah, kinda looks like the thing is throwing a birthday party for itself. Still, I don't exactly understand all the hate its generated when it's not even finished.

Also, when walking to the car park, me and Nat saw this:

1387fab258b6ca5b7901f471e2a60212.jpg

Looks like construction on the lift hill could be starting very soon!

Long time Lurker here, figured I would express my views :)

I think some of you are missing the tongue in cheek and incredibly camp qualities to this. It is very similar to Nemesis in that it is so overly dramatic! The Marmaliser and the use of that very word reflects that in my view. I think because we've had such dark and gritty themes the past few years, some of you assume this one should/will be too. Yes it has sinister undertones, but thats all they are.

So when you're saying how its missed a trick and that it could be a lot more sinister, I don't think it should have been. I personally love the car wash brushes as "ticklers" and optical illusions and Giant needles. It all reminds me of something a nurse and doctor would have in a cabaret show or a Morcombe and wise sketch. Its a brilliant piece of showmanship that does what its supposed to, It makes me smile.

This thing has really flown up over the past week or so though. I fully believe that it could be open and finished by mid May.

I cant stand how people keep moaning about how they hate the marmaliser spider so much, and that the builders are just "adding bits on to make it look a bit better. Do you not get that these bits are being added on because its not finished...

If they were to be building Nemesis right now, which everyone on here seems to wet themselves in adoration for, and someone took the photo below, you would still be moaning that its just a plywood shed. Just give them chance!!

nemesis27.jpg

Has anyone seen that new skyscraper in Dubai? Utterly hideous, bare concrete structure.

090106_2_2.JPG

Oh wait a minute...it's NOT FINISHED!

Also, it'll look fantastic with the visuals turned on in 360 on the Marmaliser screens.

Looks like they should bolt a few extra bits onto that new skyscraper, just looks rubbish.

Oh wait, they will be doing because ITS NOT FINISHED!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Those legs look poor quality. I also think it's too light a shade if grey and won't stand out as well as it could.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

But the spider isn't going to be covered in fibreglass. That's not the underlying structure like the plywood that makes up the Nemesis station. The spider is actually going to look the way it does now, with some objects glued to it. The skyscraper comparison is just too silly to even discuss.

If it was the station that was being criticised, then comparing it to the Nemesis station or even a skyscraper would work, but the spider is going to look pretty much as it does now, with some stuff on it.

In real life the Marmaliser really looks pretty cool right now - even the satelite dishes which I thought looked kinda naff on the ground look alright as part of it.

I think everyone just needs to clam down a little, it'll look good :)

Have a cheeky really bad photo of it from today:
534994_10201053136270974_316188703_n.jpg

59740_467475073322942_1068390240_n.jpg

I am trying to work out where the dishes are pointing. only the middle dish is pointing at the Geostationary Earth Orbit belt used for TV satellite use somewhere in the Astra 1KR area of the belt, but this is a rough guess. the other two are too far out to west and east to see any satellites in this belt :D

this is a tongue in cheek joke about geek level

Worth remembering that Black Hole tent used to have a legit satellite dish on it too - take THAT, people who say the Smiler does nothing to reference the site's heritage ;)
379839_2687761833664_1140438845_n.jpg

(bottom right)

GAGrathea said:
Worth remembering that Black Hole tent used to have a legit satellite dish on it too - take THAT, people who say the Smiler does nothing to reference the site's heritage ;)
379839_2687761833664_1140438845_n.jpg

(bottom right)

What was that for?

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Didn't the queue have MTV on at one point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

You've got to admit though, those satellite dishes stuck on the top don't half look awful.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.