• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Meat Pie said:
I can't be the only one thinking that the Marmaliser looks like the laziestly executed piece of old tat I've ever seen which has had the nerve to describe itself as 'themeing'.

I didn't like the changes designed into the concept, but even that updated concept image looked a damn-sight better than this heap of scrap metal that lacks any style or character.

Sigh... I'll just keep lying to myself that it'll look better when they've finished. :(

I can't be the only one thinking that I've never seen you write anything positive, ever! I know being critical is part of your style, but there is such a thing as critique in moderation. ;)

IT'S NOT EVEN BUILT YET

But the those images actually provide an almost literal representation of what we were shown were getting (bottom car) and what we will actually get (top car) in the fact they are not going to clad the spider at all!

It's not an accurate representation... it's merely to show something half built versus completely built.

I like it having no cladding and just covered in pipes, and gears, mechanisms ext. I love things like that. Would hate it if it was as in the original plans, with plain smooth sides. Problem is all the pipes, gears and mechanisms are not all in place. So I don't want to judge, judging by the recent art it should have plenty of mechanisms all over it.

I hate to mention "the other site" but I thought that the Spider actually looked far bigger and imposing on their new overhead pictures than the ground pictures let on. This is coming from someone who hasn't seen it in person - and everyone that has has said it looks better in person than the pictures do justice.

I feel that once all of the legs are on, with "additions" such as the pipes, spikes on top of the legs, the elements themselves, a possible antenna array on top and anything that gets added to the main "stem" of the spider there will be plenty to keep the eyes occupied. There's also the screens on top that will be (hopefully, I will be furious if not) showing images - the whole thing once completed will look quite busy.

I do have reservations about the "tickler", and as I said earlier, wish they had been ironic and used the name to describe a panel of blades / spikes / point things. I reserve full judgement until it is completed though.

Fredward said:
It's not an accurate representation... it's merely to show something half built versus completely built.

I like it having no cladding and just covered in pipes, and gears, mechanisms ext. I love things like that. Would hate it if it was as in the original plans, with plain smooth sides. Problem is all the pipes, gears and mechanisms are not all in place. So I don't want to judge, judging by the recent art it should have plenty of mechanisms all over it.

The problem is that the uncladded legs with their steel criss-cross design look too much like the ride track, it blends in too much and doesn't look as imposing or dangerous as you can see right through each leg. With cladding they would look like they were made out of solid steel which would be really menacing.

A few days ago people where moaning that the leg joints looked ugly, bemoaning Merlins lack of creativity.... 2 days later "ohh look they actually had theming elements to cover those".

I'm not saying this wont be crap, it very easily could be but the thing is not built yet. Based on the one leg that has anything on it currently it seems to be very accurate to the pictures in the Daily Fail. Thats what i am expecting and other than the Tickler i quite like it. It's not perfect as i would have had more solid arms but it looks great.

It just seems to be a sad indictment of the enthusiast community when they don't even give something a chance... You don't have to like it and when its finished if you hate it then fine, i may be in the same camp.... And it's more than satisfactory to express concerns about it (i did last week). But its the condemnation that just seems premature.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The problem is that the uncladded legs with their steel criss-cross design look too much like the ride track, it blends in too much and doesn't look as imposing or dangerous as you can see right through each leg. With cladding they would look like they were made out of solid steel which would be really menacing.

Then we have to agree to disagree, I would say having girders with pipes running through and pneumatic rams exposed look more industrial as if this is modified construction equipment. it looks more brash, the machine is built with function over form in mind, showing they care not for your comfort.

as head choppers. All the head choppers have been painted bright yellow and are hanging off the arms, so if you mean more intimidating from an on-ride point of view, I would say what's hanging off the arms are more important then the arms themselves.

Fair points about it not being finished, but I think it's fair to be worried with what's already developed, however people are right to point out that it of course is not a write off, and could even turn out to be a fantastic piece of themeing since we simply do not know how much more effort is to be put into it (although I think it seems very unlikely from the very weak product we can see so far).

The opinion that this looks set to be bad is valid, but that doesn't mean there isn't the possibility that it'll turn out great and that I wouldn't re-evaluate my view based on such a development.

Fredward said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:

Then we have to agree to disagree, I would say having girders with pipes running through and pneumatic rams exposed look more industrial as if this is modified construction equipment. it looks more brash, the machine is built with function over form in mind, showing they care not for your comfort.

When you say girders with pipes running through are you referring to the legs? If so, I don't think there are any pipes inside them are there?

Also, we knew they were putting pneumatic rams on there from the plans and they do look good and really enhance the appearance, but even they are not quite as impressive as the concepts.

I was simply saying it should be clad to give it a more solid appeearance.

:)

There are pneumatic pipes running through the Flasher leg, the concepts show those are in all of the legs. Also the bottom if each leg is covered and has a foot like thing if they stick to the concept.

The top piece of the Marmaliser is on site. I have to say that's going to look rather good when it's atop the screens. (from TowersStreet FB)

549129_467378696665913_1088483452_n.jpg

Satalite dishes are the new shipping containers... Sub Terra, Swarm, Smiler, and (most confusing of all) Zufari are all covered in them.

Alastair said:
The top piece of the Marmaliser is on site. I have to say that's going to look rather good when it's atop the screens. (from TowersStreet FB)

549129_467378696665913_1088483452_n.jpg

I hope they put a few more bits on it than two sky dishes I have to say.

Keeping quiet on the rest, legs need cladding, the industrial look Fredward enjoys is something I also share, not on this though, there is too much of it surrounding with the track and it clashes and enhances neither.

It detracts from the track, and from The Marm - box track (not happening obviously) or boxed Marm, needs one or t'other or it is just too much. It's like sticking that amazing JCB sculpture in the middle of a load of JCBs - think it would be as impacting like that as it is on it's own?

Of course not.

Rather than a sat dish i think an airport style radar spinning around would have looked better....

I think the reason the site/track/marmaliser looks so messy at the moment is because of the dirt, scaffolding, cranes and general construction site.

Once the site has been paved, everything cleaned up, signs placed, fences all in place (estimated 2014 :p) everything will seem a lot less messy.

98F67BD1-185B-43AD-A3B1-3E87CFB01BE3-8247-000003C9C30F8D20.jpg

Took this a few minutes ago :)

Also, I need to state that The Marmaliser is very impressive when seen up close.

Looks like the screens on the Marmaliser will be showing Sky Sports... probably with the little beer icon in the corner.

Not going to lie, that picture with the pointy top made e laugh. It's almost cartoonishly out of propotion to the rest of the structure.

It's like they intended to have another section of truss under it and that's only the top piece :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.