• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Nemesis94 said:
Oh dear... somebody's made a bit of a gaff. Look at the right most support in this image, the track doesn't meet it! They've got a single bolt lining them both up at the moment. Either the footer is too deep, or the've made the support too short!

Rob said:
P1150226_zps0bb66989.jpg

I feel thats the real downside to the way Gerstlauer do it. There are going to be less problems if you do it like B&M/Intamin because the supports are the correct length whereas with these ones you have to have the correct amount of support in the footer which any mistakes and it doesn't align correctly - I also believe this is why some of Gerstlauer's rides are rough.

andyramone said:
DiogoJ42 said:
This last twist:
P1150218_zps852b7209.jpg

timthumb.php.png

:eek: That inversion looks absolutely insane. Is it a corkscrew? What the hell is that gonna be like to ride?

Looks like a squished corkscrew! :p

This was put up two hours ago:

5597_543357882362061_742398574_n.jpg

Its the lead up into the second dive loop.

Nemesis94 said:
Oh dear... somebody's made a bit of a gaff. Look at the right most support in this image, the track doesn't meet it! They've got a single bolt lining them both up at the moment. Either the footer is too deep, or the've made the support too short!

I can't get my head around if it's short, or if it is out of line. Anyway, for me, that track will be heavy and still isn't all connected properly, I'd be surprised if given the tension does not carry all around the track yet, that it lined up perfectly on such a twisted coaster. That support is also most likely just plonked in there roughly also.

B&M do make theirs super smooth of course, and clearly do use far superior construction and planning techniques over all - but then, so do Bentley when compared to Ford.

You get what you pay for in the coaster biz, that is pretty obvious across the world really, arguably coasters like Outlaw Run buck that trend a little - but who knows how that will run in a few years time.

B&M couldn't physically build something this compact, the substantial nature of their builds dictate that, so a smaller design wont have that same structural strength and ability to withstand consistent force that B&Ms have. I can't imagine anything but this developing roughness over time - it's only really B&Ms that mostly don't.

230877_543438129020703_2080677119_n.jpg

Credit to The Alton Towers Guide

And a lower piece is also being fitted.

They're certainly motoring on!

That's certainly going to be one lovely trimmed 'air-time' hill!

Fingers crossed they will be like Saw's MCBR and wont get used much, will just spend most of their time dropping down for the train to pass!

Great to see they are still ploughing on despite the snow ;)

Trims? :'( Aww, hell no! Why must every new coaster be trimmed these days?

Oh yay for trims... ::)

I hope this won't affect much airtime on this part of the ride!

I don't think that the trims will be used much, similar to Air's, and will just be there on the odd chance that they'll need them.

Judging from the No Limits recreation, the pacing seems fine through that area so I can't see the trims being a problem.

I think trims are included as a precautionary measure in case the ride runs too fast for whatever reason, rather than as a necessary measure. I certainly hope they won't get used anyway!

We've known about these trims for ages! They've been sitting in the car park for a while now.

Not everyone walks past the car parks every day, you know ;)

Truefitt: The ninja of the Alton Towers Resort. Nobody ever sees him taking photos!

Longy said:
230877_543438129020703_2080677119_n.jpg

Credit to The Alton Towers Guide

And a lower piece is also being fitted.

They're certainly motoring on!

Don't understand the necessity for the supports on the bottom of this piece. What are they going to be connected to?

Both of the little airtime hills will indeed have trims, and there are proxies in place to detect whether or not they will be needed. Fingers crossed they are just there as a precaution and are not actually used. It's better for them to have them and not use them to not have them and find they need them after testing causing further delays as they add trims.

This really is flying up though, I'd prepared to say the track could be completed within 2 weeks now, possibly less. All depends on when the lift track arrives. And what they do with the Marmaliser, as currently the body of it is placed in the way of where track should be going.

:)

What happened to just building rides properly so they don't need trims?

That or let the ride run. So what if the ride runs a few mph fast? It's hardly going to ruin the ride.

This is all B&M's fault. Everyone following their lead of neutering rides.

Wilsy said:
We've known about these trims for ages! They've been sitting in the car park for a while now.

I'm not that much of a geek about track :p

Given how long those trims are, I think we can assume it will be very gentle, otherwise the train would be brought to a standstill! They won't be able to slow it down by very much anyway, as I think that's placed before the batwing, so the train will need to be carrying quite a bit of speed to get round the next section.

579490_304940172968799_1312289457_n.jpg

This thing is huge, this aerial view gives a great perspective now

pics from tattenhill aviation

Blaze said:
What happened to just building rides properly so they don't need trims?

That or let the ride run. So what if the ride runs a few mph fast? It's hardly going to ruin the ride.

This is all B&M's fault. Everyone following their lead of neutering rides.
This. A thousand times this! Trimming a coaster is like watering down beer. For years rides were allowed to obey Newton, and nobody had a problem with it.
If Nemesis was built today it would be trimed to hell. A sobering thought.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.