• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Oh Jesus Christ, it's never opening.

At least when it does eventually open, all these bodged repairs will mean it truly lives up to Thirteen's claim of being the most terrifying ride ever.

Quetzal said:
So, one of the supports above the toilet block has been cut... :eek:

If there's a problem big enough to require cutting a support up, then is this really on track for may?

Saw this reported on TTF, also without something to back to it up. I think it's silly to believe a solid piece of structural support will have been cut. It would compromise the integrity of the part far too much to even be considered an option.

Dar said:
Quetzal said:

If there's a problem big enough to require cutting a support up, then is this really on track for may?

Saw this reported on TTF, also without something to back to it up. I think it's silly to believe a solid piece of structural support will have been cut. It would compromise the integrity of the part far too much to even be considered an option.

There was an apparent "spare" though? Is that still spare??

Dar said:
Quetzal said:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5880_n.jpg

I've always been quite optimistic about this ride's opening, but...yeah. Highly doubt this'll even open in May at all, let alone the rumoured 18th date.

Also...why are they doing this? I really don't understand :/

I wonder if that particular support is unnecessary, there's another just a few feet along, and removing it gives them the wiggle room to get that gap under the first drop closed?

Oh dear.

OK so that is definitely not right, and I'm beginning to worry a bit about the 'smoothness' of this rollercoaster...

Worlds first float-a-coaster?

How far is this section of track, from the section that had to be pulled together last weekend as it didn't quite join up? I wonder if it is as a result of that.
I would imagine that the whole thing hasn't come together quite as planned due to amount of ground work and terrain in the area. I remember watching a documentary on Tatsu being built (which is on very uneven land), and one of the supports / footers for the base of the pretzel loop was completely out of sync with the track. It even happens to B&M! Unfortunately, this project is already so far behind, it's a shame to little setbacks like this so late.

72804_651968804829085_2016793355_n.jpg

Copyright of Theme Park Worldwide

Another image of the support.

This is definitely not opening on the 18th May. Maybe 30th May or something, but definitely not the 18th.

Talk about a ride with a difficult birth! :eek:

This doesn't look like a massive issue. The support is a bit short so they'll need to fabricate some kind of extension to plug the gap. Not a structural problem and shouldn't affect the ride experience.

The concern is yet another delay. Even if by some miricle they have the parts/tools that they need on site and they can get this sorted within the next 48 hours the prospect of 18th May opening has sailed. The race is now on for the 25th.

At this rate I'm genuinely starting to think they may as well just leave opening it till next season.

TTF have a picture of the bracket that has been reinstalled.

Seemingly Gerst have said it it relatively common for this to occur, and out of 184 supports... one going wrong isn't too bigger deal.

Mmmmm.

I must admit, as this stage it's very hard not to overreact to relatively normal slip-ups and adjustments to this ride as it's being built, simply because it's already so delayed. I'm hoping about trains roaring round thing by this time next week!

The supports still haven't been concreted in to the footers yet. Surely that will take a week or two to do them all and let them set?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.