• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I was on park today. Some pics for you

P1040614.JPG

The painting on the maintenance shed is coming along well, the following few pics were taken through out today
P1040575.JPG

P1040587.JPG

P1040618.JPG

P1040644.JPG

The transfer track and the station track were being worked on quite a bit today.
P1040577.JPG

Proof that the spinny wheels spin, here's one of the motors.
P1040599.JPG

The tickler's foot is being added and the red thing in the bottom right of the image is the ride envelope measure.
P1040592.JPG

were still at least a few days off testing, the footers haven't started to be concreted in yet. We also have some black metal things that I am not sure about and also a yellow frame that I assume will hold the cameras at the base of the vertical lift hill as on the game.
P1040635.JPG

Workers at the top of the vertical lift hill looked like they were doing wiring for most of the day.
P1040640.JPG

It looks like they have started adding the normal lift chain. that looks like chain to me at the top of the dog whereas we have none at the bottom
P1040620.JPG

There has been quite a bit of talk about a bit of track still not meeting. This is the joint that they are on about. NOTE this is not one of the rails but the back spine and, more importantly, if you look at the bolts they are fully tight. I think that this is deliberate to allow for movement in the track, rather than a mess up.
P1040650.JPG
Whereas, this joint, I think will be more problematical. This is the joint that I photographed last week when they couldn't get it to join. It is now joined but there is quite a visible step and that is track not spine.
P1040648.JPG
Total NERD shot
P1040621.JPG

The station building is receiving cladding
P1040602.JPG

And further along we have this. I am not quite sure what is happening here.
P1040603.JPG
The games unit has had more paint
P1040594.JPG

My usual overview from the oblivion queue, sorry for the huge rain drop on the lens at this point, we were having one of those April showers that plagued today.
P1040607.JPG

Finally in the car park we have 1 footer left
P1040678.JPG

and 4 concrete stairs (which I assume will be the entrance to the queues)
P1040680.JPG

And I will leave you with one more shot of the ride in the sunlight with a storm cloud behind.
P1040632.JPG

So, they've either forgotten to put a support in or have delivered one too many. I hope it's the latter! Can't think of anywhere that's missing a support, I shall have a look tomorrow though.

:)

In that case It's kinda like ordering a new cupboard from Ikea where you get one screw too many =P

In that case they should keep hold of it to lower the budget for SW8. ;)

Lets hope the ride doesn't fall apart like most Ikea furniture. ;)

I was a bit unsure at first of the weird patterns on the station, but now they have colour they looks really good, and does split up the boring gray cladding. Im sure we might also get something similar on the main station building, as there is a large gap between the pipes in the centre.

Is there a post somewhere that I can read that basically tells me everything we know already? Been struggling to keep up with construction and what with rumours etc I'm still not entirely sure what elements etc are on the ride!

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but I've been hearing that there is an inverted drop on the ride. What IS an inverted drop? I'm really confused lol!

I wonder what those yellow pieces of cladding are actually for?

Could they be for the roof of the shop? They couldn't go on the walls as they've already been covered with the pipes.

The paintings do look quite good now as they break the blank spaces up. I hope there is more to come!

Vicki said:
Is there a post somewhere that I can read that basically tells me everything we know already? Been struggling to keep up with construction and what with rumours etc I'm still not entirely sure what elements etc are on the ride!

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but I've been hearing that there is an inverted drop on the ride. What IS an inverted drop? I'm really confused lol!

You could check the minisite the team have lovingly created http://www.towersstreet.com/the-smiler/!

An inverted drop is just what Alton have called the first drops off the lift hills, because they invert on the way down. :)

Andrew said:
I wonder what those yellow pieces of cladding are actually for?

Could they be for the roof of the shop? They couldn't go on the walls as they've already been covered with the pipes.

The paintings do look quite good now as they break the blank spaces up. I hope there is more to come!

The yellow boards look like insulation panels, so they could be for anywhere really! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the painting, I love it! I think it looks great, especially around the entrance back to the station!

Great photos Stretchy. Echoing what others have said, having seen The Smiler in person today I am just astonished at how imposing it looks and loved listening to everyone commenting on it. I just hope it rides smooth (hoping that alignment issues are sorted) and that the maintenance is kept to a high standard.

It has been pointed out that I am an idiot. There is no chain in the top of the normal lift hill picture. What I mistook for chain is the cog itself.

It was too easy to take nice photos today. The extremes of weather was perfect, sunshine and thunder clouds. Brilliant combination. I just wished I had managed to snap the rainbow we saw over the ride at one point. But we were on the cable car and all it came out as was lots of scratches where the camera had focused on the glass of the cable car. (I need a better camera me thinks, mine doesn't have manual focus :( )

you will have to ask santa for one stretchy. ;)I do like the logo on the side of the building.

I wonder if the secret is that they have been able to create a stable wormhole that move you to a warehouse at Chessington and back, where they have build a washing machine type element.

Please note the last bit is a joke

Strange that the chain for the first lift hasn't gone in, I'd have thought that would have been done on Friday. Saying that the crane did leave towards the end of the day on Thursday, I don't know if it returned. If they do want this open on May 18th then testing needs to start this coming week I feel. I'd imagine they are currently trying to finish bits of work around the site that can't be done whilst the ride is testing though.

:)

It's testing :)

josht said:

How? Don't the footers need to be concreted in? And doesn't a load more stuff need to be done before it reaches that point?

AshleeKel said:
josht said:

How? Don't the footers need to be concreted in? And doesn't a load more stuff need to be done before it reaches that point?

Hence why I posted what I did. I don't wish to call anyone a liar but it seems a long shot. So my point stands.....

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I think you'll find it isn't testing - I think josht fell hook line and sinker for something posted on Facebook... :p

So, one of the supports above the toilet block has been cut... :eek:

If there's a problem big enough to require cutting a support up, then is this really on track for may?

I presume the support has been removed to allow enough movement of track to fully connect the support for the top of the lift hill that has been causing a problem. Once that is connected I would guess it is simply re-welding the removed piece of support back into place.

Hopefully it turns out to be a simple and QUICK procedure (I really do hope).

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.