• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!!! *evil cackle*

ChocolateStarfish said:
I think the powers that be would like to have a bit of free publicity.
If it doesn't happen then fine I'll clear off back into my shell.

Makes total sense.

It isn't as if fishy has made any fishy claims either in regards to The Smiler. OK, some of his political views may be ;) - but based on this I would almost bet on there being testing now this afternoon.

There really are not that many "trolls" around to warrant the constant rudeness shown to anyone who professes to bring a bit of info to the table. That will also hardly encourage others forward who may have things to share will it? Think about it.

Anyway...

BigAl said:
Not much but it's a start! :p

I cannot say I have ever been so excited by 3 inches of motion before ;D

Oh hang on.... a new post??

Olii said:
It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!!! *evil cackle*

Have you seen the beast awaken?!

Apparently the fencing around site has been finished, and all banners are now down.

Maya said:
Apparently the fencing around site has been finished, and all banners are now down.

I am imagining how it looks... oh mah lawd! <3

TheMan - I meant in regards to the "3 inches of motion" hehe :) I too share your exitement :twirly:

Olii said:
TheMan - I meant in regards to the "3 inches of motion" hehe :) I too share your exitement :twirly:

HAHAHA! Right mate ;D

So, is this EVIDENCE of an evening of testing??? Or did someone simply not have a sleeve to hand?

Courtesy of the Do you actually do anything other than visit Alton Towers guide

942239_560070240690825_968467796_n.jpg

That just looks like a scratch by careless workers :3 I do think it has been testing though, last night

Maya said:
That just looks like a scratch by careless workers :3 I do think it has been testing though, last night

I have to agree Maya there is not much, but it shows the desperate lengths we will now go to in the hope the trains have been around the track :D

;D

OK, so it's pretty obvious that it's been sent around the track a couple of times at some point over the last couple of evenings. So what can we deduce from this discovery, if it is true?

Yes, they've built a roller-coaster and they're making sure that it works properly before allowing the public to ride it due to health and safety and stuff.

Seriously, I hope they don't do any testing during the day for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's just gonna take the shine off opening day when we've already seen it in operation. Secondly, social media is just going to be filled with copious amounts of badly filmed phone video's.

Seen that a while ago, I think (and hope) its just implying the amount of inversions, anyway, its already been marketed as 14 inverting, and we know where the 14 are, so really its not possible for the element.

360 degrees? So you start upright and you end upright?

Sounds like an inversion to me. Maybe a barrel roll.

It just means the barrel roll inside the station.

Grinding is taking place on the first inverted drop. That's a bit concerning for smoothness.

465237_560131920684657_1338204245_o.jpg

Credit To The Alton Towers Guide

Quite the opposite actually. If they have found a bump in the track, its better if they grind it out. Its fairly common and most rides have to have bits grinded down a little. Spinball had most of its track ground down before it opened as it was going to slow, apparently, so they took a bit off the track. Not sure how true exactly that story is, but they did do a lot of grinding just before it was due to open.

OK more courtesy again of you know who by now.

941230_560135570684292_1249046520_n.jpg

I have to admit that doesn't fill me with confidence, that's a misalignment by the looks of things, I've not got carried away with the other stuff but the top of that doesn't look good to me, unless it is a shadow, how much can you grind away. The bloke looks like he has a pondering hand on chin too.

NOT TIME FOR PONDER HAND ON CHIN TIMEY!

"Hmmmm, take a bitta offa here, anda bitta offa here" (best Swedish Chef impression).

All of a sudden, there's a wafer thin piece of track left ;D

They will literally be grinding a few millimeters off before spraying a few millimeters of black paint back on to it again :p

TheMan said:
OK more courtesy again of you know who by now.

[image removed]

I have to admit that doesn't fill me with confidence, that's a misalignment by the looks of things, I've not got carried away with the other stuff but the top of that doesn't look good to me, unless it is a shadow, how much can you grind away. The bloke looks like he has a pondering hand on chin too.

NOT TIME FOR PONDER HAND ON CHIN TIMEY!

"Hmmmm, take a bitta offa here, anda bitta offa here" (best Swedish Chef impression).

All of a sudden, there's a wafer thin piece of track left ;D

The top doesn't really matter though, if you look around the rest of the ride the spine doesn't match on a lot of it. Someone posted a picture of it being completely lined up with the bolts looking tightened and the track being butted up together properly, so I wouldn't worry.

As for grinding the track, it's done on nearly every coaster built! If you watch any documentary on *steel* coaster construction, they'll whip t'old grinder out multiple times! I'm confident that it looks like they've ground it flush so it should be smooth :p

It is good to see they are trying to make it smooth as possible with the track, though it might've been easier for them if the ride cars had lap bars instead... ;)

Based on the grinding can we assume that it either 100% has not completed a test run yet, or that it did complete a test but the telemetry showed areas of roughness?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.