• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Rob said:
I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like the way the theme is going. It isn't a really serious theme, it's crazy and a bit unbelievable and that's exactly how I see the Ministry of Joy. It's nice to have a theme that isn't coming across as totally serious and that is purely dark. It's different and that's how I like to see things at Towers. Of course others may think differently, it is just a matter of opinion.

:)

But...this is X-Sector?

sw75.png

To compare...

I much prefer what we are getting. That original design is boring and bland. It doesn't seem to do anything. It also is not really related to the theme of The Smiler, it's quite apparent that the theme wasn't finalised when those plans were submitted.

I still think what we are getting fits well into X-Sector. It has it's own theme that fits in with the overall theme of the area. I'd rather this than a coaster that doesn't have its own theme and is just an old theme re-used as it were. This is fresh yet it does tie in. I know people will deny this but I put that down to people just not wanting it to fit in therefore they won't let themselves see that it does. Also the whole thing, coaster and theming, looks great in the area when you see it; not out of place in the slightest.

Wilsy said:
The Marmaliser looks so much better than the original planning application design.

The old design was fairly dull. This design seems a lot more dynamic and visually interesting.

Actually, I agree to an extent. I much prefer the splash of yellow colour (like Oblivion's orange) it does give it an edgy appearance and I am glad they decided not to go with the aged effect.

However, the original ccncept does show how much better it would have looked with cladded legs and a rounded central body.

Yeah, I do think cladding on the legs and a more rounded body would make the structure seem larger and more imposing. As you can see through the metal structure on this version of the Marmaliser it makes the legs seem a bit smaller and less bulky.

The Marmaliser looks much better in person, as the angle which most photos have been taken from don't really seem to show off the scale very well. Looking forward to seeing what it is like once the final leg is added.

From Ride Rater

Alton Towers calls Smiler press night on 17 May

Alton Towers has called a press evening for The Smiler on 17 May, fuelling speculation that the new ride will launch the following day.

Selected representatives of the media have already received invitations from the park.

The ride has suffered from considerable construction delays, having originally been scheduled to open on 16 March.

The Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter model will break the inversion record currently held by the 10-looping Colossus rollercoaster at Thorpe Park.

Its total number of inversions has not yet been confirmed, but is expected to be at least 14.
Hmmm...

Dave said:
EuroSatch said:
My God, that image of 'the innoculator' looks absolutely farsical

Really? i like it, huge syringes, nothing particularly worrying about them. Though i know this is subjective. My only less than favorable leg is the tickler and i hope that all the legs get more embellishments.

I'm not convinced by it. I worry that whilst the idea of MoJ and the Marmaliser may be a little 'larger than life' and tongue-in-cheek, this won't be carried out around the rest of the area, which will rely on the industrial nature of the area and the gray coolness of the track too much. I - perhaps bizarrely - find this in contrast to what the 'five elements' of the marmaliser hold.

Jonathan said:
From Ride Rater

Alton Towers calls Smiler press night on 17 May

Alton Towers has called a press evening for The Smiler on 17 May, fuelling speculation that the new ride will launch the following day.

Selected representatives of the media have already received invitations from the park.

The ride has suffered from considerable construction delays, having originally been scheduled to open on 16 March.

The Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter model will break the inversion record currently held by the 10-looping Colossus rollercoaster at Thorpe Park.

Its total number of inversions has not yet been confirmed, but is expected to be at least 14.
Hmmm...
Interesting! Certainly would suggest a May 18th opening. If this is true, I would imagine we may get an announcement fairly soon. I hope it is May 18th, fits my exam schedule nicely! :p

EDIT:

It would give them pretty much six weeks to finish it. At the rate they've been going at I reckon that is achievable. It's been just over 3 weeks since opening now and a lot has been done. With no more problems May 18th definitely seems possible.

I heard before there would be preview days on the 14th, 15th and 16th. If this is true, would it be open all day on those days, or just some of it?

I think it's best if people wait for official confirmation from Alton Towers before thinking about opening day or preview days, you'll only end up being disappointed (again) if it doesn't open until the week after.

Why are you all throwing the word "camp" around as if you know what you're talking about. "Nemesis is camp… X-Sector is camp". How utterly ridiculous. Is it the new BUZZZ WORD for enthusiasts these days?

There's nothing "camp" about either.

mikeroller said:
Why are you all throwing the word "camp" around as if you know what you're talking about. "Nemesis is camp… X-Sector is camp". How utterly ridiculous. Is it the new BUZZZ WORD for enthusiasts these days?

There's nothing "camp" about either.

Nemesis is very, knowingly campy in a sort of sci-fi horror way. Have you ever seen the video with the discovery of the key and the Nemesis disciples nearly breaking out into a dance routine as they lower their hoods.

They aren't saying camp as in the stereotypical flamboyant male. But as in theatrics.

Sameway you would call old school hard rock/heavy metal stage shows camp, or B movie horror movies camp.

Very tired of the unjust negativity now. I was going to single people out but I've decided to behave, however as an example one person has now posted in this thread 12 times in the last 48 hours and every single one of their posts has been a complaint. They are not alone and frankly I am so bored of re-reading the same peoples opinions every time a new bolt is fixed into place.

Whilst the team have tried hard to clean this thread up and get people on topic it remains a serious chore to read at the moment. At times it is endless pages of “OMG I can’t believe they’re leaving it like that!” and then 24 hours later “O look, they fixed it, nevermind.”

It would have been so flippin easy for the park to go with a non-descript space theme and blend the ride in seamlessly with the existing area, but for once they decided to think outside the box and I for one love the results. Everything about the ride is over the top, fantastically daft and fun*

Some aspects of the Marm look weak at the moment but It does seem to be improving with every update, the syringes look fantastic and I hope they're interactive.

The idea of a shipping container shop is the first thing to make my heart skip a beat. I get it, shipping containers make great shops, but I do hope that they make some kind of effort to disguise it!

I'm not sure about the reliability of Ride Rater for news, but It would be a rather unusual and pointless story to make up or to exaggerate. The date seems about right for me, get the lift hill up over the next week and they'll have a full month of testing... it could be legit.

* Some of you may need to think back to your pre-enthusiast days to recall the meaning of this word.

VERY WELL SAID!
Must admit after reading the posible opening date I had a dream about the smiler last night! I really hope we see an advert on TV soon as well..
Not long to go hopefully.. keep thinking positive everyone..! I wonder if the cars will be different colours or all yellow.. lol just in my dream they were different colour fronts. I know one thing, my heart will be racing climbing up that lift hill for the first time! Might need a couple of ciders! Just looking at the track its going to be very intense. I wonder if they will have the sanctuary people walking the queue lines.. scaring everyone?!
Cannot wait!!

Novas said:
The idea of a shipping container shop is the first thing to make my heart skip a beat. I get it, shipping containers make great shops, but I do hope that they make some kind of effort to disguise it!

I believe The Smiler will have a proper shop for a change. If they end up using a shipping container, it'll at least be well disguised.

I'm heading to Towers for the first time in 14 years on the 14th & 15th May. I booked it knowing full well The Smiler may not be open, and there will be plenty of new things for me to do anyway, so no issues from me if it's not open.

A question though, if I end up being there for one of the preview days, does that mean I may get to go on it? Or is it just media and celebrities and the like?

I'd be very very surprised if a ride costing £18million? doesnt have a proper shop - while a container in the queue line seems possible, I would imagine there being a decent shop on the ride exit (similar to Air). Just hope thye have a toilet block next to the ride exit as well, think a few people will be needing to be reintroduced to their breakfast after riding this one!

On the park map there's "buy the smiler" so that'll be the shop. Have they started building it yet? Because if not, then I presume it will be a container...
But I do remember seeing that the smiler will have a full, larger range of products than other rides, so a small shop won't be big enough..

The Shop for The Smiler will be the half circle structure attached to the station building, just next to the exit hole of Oblivion/Oblivion's pond. :)

Edit: Around by here:
tumblr_inline_mkzfw9Ls2f1qz4rgp.jpg

(Picture by TowersStreet)

Just to change speculation around, does anyone think that the shop could still have the glass floor? On the picture above, we can see where the pre-lift track goes, but we can't see what is above it- therefore in the shop.

Could this still be a possibility?

I would love it to be a possibility. Or atleast a portion of the floor to be glass. Though it may let a lot of light in...

I love TS new facebook update. . Just for the little death smiley logo on the giggler :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.