• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I've been on all three UK Eurofighters, and found them all to have Gerstache to some extent. Though Saw is by far the worst of the three.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

DiogoJ42 said:
I've been on all three UK Eurofighters, and found them all to have Gerstache to some extent. Though Saw is by far the worst of the three.

And Speed, with its old school track is by far the best. :)

Johno said:
BigDave said:
Yeah it's why they dont concrete them down until the end. This ride will fit as the vast majority of it would have already been built somewhere, tested and then shipped to the UK to be rebuilt.

Built somewhere, tested and rebuilt?

What?

Air was partly built before shipping to the UK. Th13teens drop element was built in some carpark on the continent before being shipped to the UK.

They often build either a mock up of the ride or at least part of the ride before shipping the finial product. Think about it logically, they wouldn't ship a full ride thousands of miles only to find out it doesn't work. Even the best computer simulations can be wrong so they will have built and tested various parts before shipping.

SAW's construction itself is not the reason for Gerstache. The fact Thorpe put hundreds of tons of steel on unstable land is the reason. The land has suffered from subsidence so the track has moved slightly, causing it to be rough. Or so I believe.

If you're going to but hundreds of tons of metal on a load of mud you've dumped in a lake,

You're gonna have a bad time...

DiogoJ42 said:

I don't want to be the forum idiot but could someone please elaborate on what 'Gerstache' means.

Odd how The Swarm has (to my knowledge) had no issues at all yet... ;)

Not that I'm saying subsidence isn't the issue but I remember when Saw opened it very quickly gained a reputation for Gerstache so whatever causes it has been present from day one.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

BigDave said:
Johno said:
BigDave said:
Yeah it's why they dont concrete them down until the end. This ride will fit as the vast majority of it would have already been built somewhere, tested and then shipped to the UK to be rebuilt.

What?

Air was partly built before shipping to the UK. Th13teens drop element was built in some carpark on the continent before being shipped to the UK.

They often build either a mock up of the ride or at least part of the ride before shipping the finial product. Think about it logically, they wouldn't ship a full ride thousands of miles only to find out it doesn't work. Even the best computer simulations can be wrong so they will have built and tested various parts before shipping.

I know Th13teens drop mechanism was pre tested as you would, just to make sure the mechanism worked and that it stayed working over time. I don't believe The Smiler would of been partially built though - Unless there is some secret element track, then they would of just tested that. The only thing on Air that would of been pre built is the station section so they can test the train tilting mechanisms.

Sent from my GT-I9300 via Tapatalk Forum App

I would say any Worlds First mechanic needs to be tested way beforehand to assure that it works as intended and properly. Otherwise it could be installed and not work.

It's common sense in reality, Testing phases occur in every Industry and more so in the mechanical sense of things.

I know I'm going to look like an idiot by asking this s you all seem to know, but what is 'Gerstache?' Lol. Is it something more specific than just being a rough ride? If thats what it means then The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley must be the worst offender...

ianto42 said:
I know I'm going to look like an idiot by asking this s you all seem to know, but what is 'Gerstache?' Lol. Is it something more specific than just being a rough ride? If thats what it means then The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley must be the worst offender...

It's what people say about rides that are rough and made by Gerstlauer. It's called Gerstache because it makes up the 'Gerst' of the beginning of Gerstlauer (the rides makers) and 'ache' as in aching because it's rough.

BigDave said:
Johno said:
BigDave said:

What?

Air was tested in terms of the mechanism.

13 the mechanism.

I have not seen a single one of Alton's coasters entirely prebuilt somewhere else before being shipped. It comes out of the factory and then arrives at Alton to be built.

Yes, the new lift mechanism may have been tested somewhere else, but unless there is a secret element, the idea of them building an 18 million pound coaster on the opposite side of Europe, before dismantling it and moving it to Alton is rather abstract to say the least!

Ah right, thanks :) Thats what I assumed it would mean, but just wanted to check!

Rollercoasters4Life said:
ianto42 said:

It's what people say about rides that are rough and made by Gerstlauer. It's called Gerstache because it makes up the 'Gerst' of the beginning of Gerstlauer (the rides makers) and 'ache' as in aching because it's rough.

Correct but it's a bit more complex than that. Roughness comes in all different forms. What I class as Gerstache is unusual roughness that I've only experienced on a Gerstlauer ride. In the case of Saw it's a kind of jerking motion that personally has very little effect on me but I know my dad refuses to ride because it makes his neck unbearably painful for a while afterwards.

Rollercoasters4Life said:
ianto42 said:

I've written this up in the Medical Journal on the wiki. :p

Haha..

I have always previously read that as 'Gerstache', pronounced a bit like 'moustache'. Like a rollercoaster which has a bit too much facial hair!

Can I just add to the whole "Built off site and then taken apart" argument, Gerstlauer actually build large elements of the coasters, or in some cases, but the whole coaster together and run it.

For example:

4s1066akb3e2g15cm2gck0.jpg

This is Three Sections of the heartline roll on Iron Shark

cv15ok34000hj52orgk09b.jpg

The entire lift structure of Iron Shark

So, yes, major parts of the ride would have already been together.

Wasn't Corkscrew pre-built back in the day?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.