• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Be interesting to see what theme the station building takes. To me its gone from run down hospital o possible factory or lab

This is moving along very nicely now. Bit annoyed at that games stall in front of Oblivion's turn around.

Also I am concerned by the plates the lights are fixed to, I hope they have a back casing attached - I imagine they will, but leaving it open to the elements like that would not be good. Let's give them benefit of the doubt here though of course - I think that has been earned.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Obviously it could still go belly up when they start testing which is why not definate date is confirmed but I still think its worth discussing.

I'm completely with Choccy boy on this one. It's clear to me how he means this information, and this may seem harsh, but if you come into a speculation thread, on an unofficial site, with a chap clearly stating merely that they are aiming for this date, and take that as gospel, then that is just daft and no ones fault but their own.

In the meantime, the rest of us can discuss the reality of it. Ultimately, even if they do take his word, it wont be as bad as the many who'd expected it to be open in March will it?

I know the sentiments and agree in principle, but a forum is a place for comment and speculation, so I don't really think discouraging this conversation is fair upon the majority of sensible people who can simply enjoy an informal natter about it here.

Choccy is one of about 3 or 4 serious posters, along with Rob and a couple of others in this topic right now, that are really adding to my enjoyment and excitement about it. I'd rather praise that quite honestly. It's made it very enjoyable for me at least, and again I wish to add my thanks to them :).

The photos, speculation, and updates are about as good as they've been at any point so far!

I like how fast it's coming along, but I'm afraid I don't like how 'grey' the station is. It lacks the shape of Oblivion's, and just feels plonked down amongst steel chaos. Perhaps the juxtaposition between the mess of the track and the blunt sharp edges of the station will work better when the ride is complete, but at the moment I'm not sold.

I've got an inside source that says it's going to open tomorrow at 6:00pm and the station is going to be wallpapered in pictures of dolphins drinking liquidised hamsters out of a wicker cup.

Sorry, I can't tell you anything more than that. :X

Going from the video below:

http://youtu.be/M1t7z7VkRXs?t=21s

As we know, it is quite an accurate recreation of the ride itself - the POV starts at 21 seconds and finishes at 2:30.

So:

2 minutes 30 seconds minus the first 21 seconds is 2 minutes 9 seconds

Alton Towers says the ride time is: 2 minutes 45 seconds (165 seconds)

Difference: 36 seconds

The video cuts off before the ride gets back to the station so you could probably add on 5/6 seconds for that. Leaves 30 seconds. The lifts could be a second or two slower also so we will say 5 seconds longer equated for both lifts. That leaves around about 25 seconds unaccounted for.

Th13teens inside drop sections last about 10 seconds - thats from when it comes to a stand still inside, to the point the kicker wheels launch you out backwards. Going by this POV video (51 seconds to 61 seconds)

http://youtu.be/qbnr6pOCLmI?t=45s

So the inside of The Smiler could be about twice that length-wise as Th13teen, just some perspective for you. Although, that is based on the point that something will happen under the maintenance shed before the first lift hill and after the first barrel roll.

The Smiler is looking superb, particularly from the Enterprise end of the site. I just love the criss-crossing tangle of track. The lift hill is looking interesting and I would love for it to be launched even though I know it won't be.

The marmaliser is coming along nicely too, it looks very impressive up close. Can't really judge it properly until the last leg is installed and the final details added. On the other hand however, the station is just plain lazy even by Merlin standards. A shapeless concrete box with the tackiest plastic "theming" I have ever seen. The games stand and queue shop are dire also.

I reckon this could potentially be Alton Towers best coaster if it rides well, but as an overall product the evidence is increasingly clear that this is no Nemesis or Oblivion beater.

I wonder why the first lift hill track is quad-rail? Seems very strange. Surely it can't be down to the weight of the trains, otherwise all of the track would be the same wouldn't it?

Alastair said:
I wonder why the first lift hill track is quad-rail? Seems very strange. Surely it can't be down to the weight of the trains, otherwise all of the track would be the same wouldn't it?

I don't know if it's the main reason, but it looks like the chain return feed is built into the lift track. That could explain it. You can see it in this photo:

P1150629_zpsd2312df6.jpg

:)

Alastair said:

It does seem unusual - though tri-rail is probably better than quad rail as it can withstand lateral forces better hence its use around the track.

Initially I thought "hmm, reinforced track, perhaps it's needed because the train enters that section at speed - god, there may be a launched lift hill!" but having mulled it over it may well just be due to the increased weight of the trains combined with box track to allow plenty of room for chain lift mechanisms and the fin machinery that they seem to have added to their lifts.

Out if interest, how many Gersts actually have non-vertical lift hills? I'm no expert of the rides outside of blue fire / Saw etc but they have generally seem to either be launched or vertical lifts. I've not actually seen images of a "normal" lift hill from them!

Interesting what Rollercoasters4life said too - there does seem to be a discrepancy between ride times between nolimits and what alton say. It could be down to something as simple as Alton including dispatch/post ride brake holding in the official release in order to "beef out" the ride time. Though I must admit, personally, I've always thought (and/or hoped) that the length of straight track before the first lift hill would be an ideal place for a bit of on ride theatrics/fun. Surely it would be easy to put the ride trains through a slow chain pull as effects go on around them, or move the train through several block stations separated out into rooms - pre marmalisation, marmalisation, escape with associated effects.

Either way, really starting to look forward to this ride. I wont be affected by the opening date as I'm out of country for the next 8 weeks, and won't be able to experience this until late June (at least I hope I wont be affected by late opening...!)

Been great watching and discussing the construction of this ride over the last 9 months, and I am very jealous of you lot getting your hands on it before me. Someone have go on it twice for me? :p

Thomas said:
I like how fast it's coming along, but I'm afraid I don't like how 'grey' the station is. It lacks the shape of Oblivion's, and just feels plonked down amongst steel chaos. Perhaps the juxtaposition between the mess of the track and the blunt sharp edges of the station will work better when the ride is complete, but at the moment I'm not sold.

I'm hoping that there will be a substantial amount of relevant colour added to that station as it just looks out of place at the moment as a mass of grey. I'd be surprised if it stayed pretty much like that (with some more added pipes obviously).

18th has been rumoured for a while now but it's opening date v4, when Towers are sure what date it is they will announce as marketing will want to start the final push.

Rob said:
Alastair said:

I don't know if it's the main reason, but it looks like the chain return feed is built into the lift track.

That's most likely it then. :)

Seems weird though how much they've modified their lift designs from the normal for this particular build. What with the elaborate magnetic fins and friction brake combinations to the chain lift feeder being integrated into a single track piece. They've certainly built to a brief by the looks of it.

As someone who has popped up with the occasional negative comment with regards to the way that this ride has been themed, I must give credit at this point to how good the actual coaster looks (with only pics to go on - god damn you essays for stopping my usual attendance!). This looks very much capable of easily being the best thing at Alton since Nemesis opened. I believe that there is something still to be revealed that will make this ride a little bit special.

The station is going to remain a brazen, brutalist block (evidently - you do not attach additional theming to a yet to be themed facade..). And it is perfectly apt and I think looks great. X-Sector is a concrete laden, brutalist area. People were concerned this wouldn't 'fit in' - behold, it does. To the T.

The juxtaposition of the yellow piping and concrete is very striking. The one issue here, of course, is themeing maintenance.

As for 'something special' - I'm still shocked people are expecting more from the worlds most compact, most inverting, almost-complete-with-no-trick-track coaster. Really?

To be honest, the fact this ride is taking the inversion record is enough to make it special.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
To be honest, the fact this ride is taking the inversion record is enough to make it special.

No no no! The fact this ride is taking the inversion record in such as small [tt]compact[/tt] area makes it special...:p

Anything on top is just an added bonus now.

It nice to see the 18th is the target date. and like all targets, there is a bigger chance of missing it, than hitting it.

I have to say, I'm still not really a huge fan of the station. It is quite literarily a concrete box, and in person I find it to really be a bit of an eyesore. The only redeeming factor is the fact it's set quiet a way back. It just lacks any significant architectural feature if you ask me, and that's a real shame, as virtually every other building in X-Sector has something unique about it :/

The concrete just looks bland and uninspired. Even if they had just covered the joints in the walls so it looks less like a grey Lego set it'd help! Plus, I've never really thought Towers and concrete are a good mix... Give it a couple of years when it's got dirty streaks all down it and I can see it looking shocking.

For me it's the only failing of this project. Aside from that, roll on when this thing opens! :D

I think we are juging things a little too soon - the games stall for example, give them chance, they have only just built it, putting the finishing touches to it will come last. As for the station, the masking tape are outlines for painting, so there is chance the station will get some paint too in some areas.

Impressed with how the Marmalade thing looks now, I think it looks quite imposing.... just wonder what it will look like this time next year however once the great British weather has got its mitts on it!

Going up this weekend, will try and get some photos.

I think the paint should help break up the station. Especially if it's Smiler Spirals (tm)(c)(isyinc) or the Ministry of Joy "stamp"

I really think the lift hills are bringing it together, visually, for me. I thought it looked messy and untidy when I saw it last weekend but the pictures with the vertical lift and the bottom of the first lift are tying things together nicely for me. :)

Has anyone managed to get any pictures of the pit with the batwing/cobra roll? It looked like there was some fencing in there last time I saw some pictures, raising my hopes that we'll be able to walk down there to watch.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.