• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

The hypnotiser will have one moving disc by the looks of things, but the others seem fixed to the arm.

We watched them moving the Hypnotiser into position today and there were motors behind each wheel ;D spinny spinny :twirly:

Loving the Hypnotiser, but this is already looking like a maintenance nightmare (for Merlin anyway.) We have motors all over the place, inaccessible halogen lights, the Marm screen, water effects... and that's just what we've seen on the open track!

I just really hope they've taken a long term view and given the ride a decent maintenance budget...

There are motors behind some of the wheels, I think two at most. The rest are fixed onto the arm.

I believe a TT member who was on park today said that there were motors behind 3 of the wheels. I think only three of them spin in the game actually, so it would make sense.

Apologies, I thought they all had motors :-[ I certainly saw at least three!

So, what do we have left to finish now?

I've got:

-The first lift
-The second drop
-The Marmaliser
-The station
-The queue line
-The other small theming elements
-The fencing
-The games stall

I think that can be achieved quite easily!

Andrew said:
So, what do we have left to finish now?

I've got:

-The first lift
-The second drop
-The Marmaliser
-The station
-The queue line
-The other small theming elements
-The fencing
-The games stall

I think that can be achieved quite easily!

Not to forget the 100's of hours of testing

I was on park today, The Hypnotiser looks brilliant in person, without them spinning they still mess with the eyes.

Bit of a photo update too!

Not 'Too' picture heavy:

Stations almost finished, Rumour has it the black spirals are to be painted all over the station!
DSCF2066_zps7314b6f1.jpg

I think we've got a headchopper with this one!
DSCF2062_zps8edff8b7.jpg

He smiled for the camera a few seconds later :(
DSCF2059_zpsbbdd0fd2.jpg

DSCF2053_zps8dca4c68.jpg

"A bit to the left"
DSCF2047_zps7c20ad4e.jpg

Bolting the leg in! It was so noisy D:
DSCF2046_zps04ee6945.jpg

YAY, Crane lifting The Hypnotiser into place
DSCF2045_zpsd450903a.jpg

The problem track has been sorted almost, bit of a bodge job in the end :p
DSCF2041_zps1793862c.jpg

A couple of workmen attempting to get the problem track to fit.
DSCF2040_zps2dc57607.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! I'll be back on park tomorrow so hopefully more track is put in!

Photos from the TowersStreet Facebook Page today:

923307_472591829477933_1874398849_n.jpg

^ The hypnotiser leg in place

72798_472632339473882_1023717967_n.jpg

^ Station painting

28168_472632352807214_1867969108_n.jpg

^ Marmaliser pre-hypnotiser

427949_472632382807211_2028482317_n.jpg

^ The inverted drop getting some finishing touches

(Credit to Nat)

Cheers for these photos, I'm missing all the construction :)

I knew the two larger spirals would spin as that was all I had seen with motors, but actually it looks like the one on the far right as you look at it will also spin. Looks like I might need to apologise.

Seeing as thought they have kind of screwed up the first inverted drop, I mean I know it's in place now but the joint in between the rails looks awful, could that hold potential for Gerst ache? And if not immediately due to a jolt or something, there's a lot of stress on the joint, they really had to wedge that thing in there, over time will it degenerate? My initial confidence in this ride is on the verge of disappearing...

Why don't they just get the wind to spin them?

Save maintenance and electricity, plus make the spinning more random.

My money is on that bit of track they had to "bodge" in to place being a headbang moment.

Rubbish when its not windy lol

The problem track I would agree, Is likely to be a big source of Gerstache, We're far more likely now to have that problem, Something a lot of members I believe were worried about. I myself was very wary about Gerstlauer being the Manufacturer for this reason.

However, The track did look smoother towards the end of the day after taking the photos.

I'm only glad that the tri rail track is behaving as it should. Not bending at all. :p This most likely will be a big gerst-ache causer they way it was bodged together.

Olii said:
Gerst ache?

Thank you for doing this. Now, that term finally makes sense! I always read it like moustache!

But yes, that transition does not look good. I thought that the whole point of not concreting the footers was to prevent this very thing. But those pieces of track were such a long way out, perhaps even that couldn't save the situation. I've never seen anything quite like this from B&M, Intamin or any other manufacturer for that matter. Even if they had made the mistake, I'm pretty sure they'd make the part again rather than force it into place anyway. I know they're in a rush but have some pride in your product Gerstlauer!

I hope they've made a note that those sections are under so much load so that they don't ping apart during deconstruction and hurt someone. Maybe creep will set in and the track will have settled by then. Even so, it's quite the bodge job.

So here's the offending joint...if you look closely you'll notice the reflection that runs across the joint doesn't actually match up...this could potentially cause quite a jolt, I'll reserve judgement for when I ride it though ;)

7A566BFE-278D-4B39-A501-3DCE34C6E2F9-647-00000061B757DE13.jpg

Credit to tuggerz for the photo.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.