• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Anyone here who has ever put flat-pack furniture together will tell you that it often doesn't seem to fit, and you have to wrestle with a bit. Eventually all fits together and sort of "snaps" into place. This really isn't any different to that. They are still erecting the track, it's not finished. When it's done, it will all be tight and snug together. Patience!

Sku said:
Anyone here who has ever put flat-pack furniture together will tell you that it often doesn't seem to fit, and you have to wrestle with a bit. Eventually all fits together and sort of "snaps" into place. This really isn't any different to that. They are still erecting the track, it's not finished. When it's done, it will all be tight and snug together. Patience!

If it's anything like ikea furniture will the smiler be missing a screw and one track piece ends up being a different shade of **cough chipwood cough** "oak"?!

I hope it is like Ikea, get some nice Swedish meatballs with a nice hint of horse meat at the end

Rob said:
I don't know how much testing is required, but each train will require a set number of hours. Testing will be a long process. They need to make sure everything is working properly and safely and then iron out any bugs that are found. They'll be different stages of testing as well. They'll probably start with just one train but will get to a point where they run the ride on maximum capacity.

:)

I believe (though could be wrong) that its about 200 hours for each train.

Do we know how many trains ther are yet? Three or four?

DiogoJ42 said:
Do we know how many trains ther are yet? Three or four?

I would have guessed somewhere more in the region of 5 or 6, similar to Oblivion?

Thought it was five, there are only 5 or 6 blocks (depending on how many blocks are in the final break sections) and the maximum train rule is; number of block sections minus one.

So at most this can run five but i would guess at them having 6 cars but running 5.

I'm going to sound like such a twonk, but I assume they will test each train individually for a set amount of time before they run it with more than one train on the track at the same time? Or will they just go straight into full train operation?

Im guessing each train will be ran on its own to start with, to check it goes round and does what it should do, I imagine they will also test all of the safety features on each train. Then add more trains, and do the same again, e-stops, etc. until every train is on the track, and once again do all the same tests.

Thats just my guess, it could be totally wrong!

200 hours PER train?!

There's no way this thing will be ready before June!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
200 hours PER train?!

I'm not professing accurate knowledge but it is a figure i have heard a few times. If they can run 12 hours a day for 3 weeks they can get 2 trains clear and it might be a little less. I also imagine they can train staff at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if not all trains are clear for opening if it does open on the 18th.

I dont care as long as it produces nice marmalade. Got my pack of Hovis wholemeal on standby :)

Unless they plan to run the test during the night, say 8pm-8am, or even less than that. That is of course if they are allowed to do that.

Wonder if any of the limbs of the crash test dummies will fall off like Swarm did.

Dave said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
200 hours PER train?!

I'm not professing accurate knowledge but it is a figure i have heard a few times. If they can run 12 hours a day for 3 weeks they can get 2 trains clear and it might be a little less. I also imagine they can train staff at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if not all trains are clear for opening if it does open on the 18th.

Oh yeah I didn't think about the possibility that they may not have tested all the trains before opening, but you would like to think they would want more than a couple of trains ready given the park is likely to be pretty busy come May/June.

Also....12 hours testing a day? Seems like a tall order.

GaryH said:
Wonder if any of the limbs of the crash test dummies will fall off like Swarm did.

Tbh I don't think they have time to pull any stunts whatsoever, this seems like they'll be cutting it close!

TheMan said:
I prescribe 4 series of Grand Designs for all those with construction concerns.

Forget Grand Designs!

TDLOJSc.jpg

I believe that they are going to be running the ride for 12 hours a day starting from next week (assuming it's ready). The staff will get their training done at the same time and the area around the ride will get all its finishing touches whilst the ride is testing.

I would not want to be the bloke stood at the gate for the next few weeks... "Is it going to open today?!" Ad. infitum.

Are we sure the 200 hour figure is correct? Who sets that, the manufacturer or HSE? And will it really be able to run from next week? Presuming the electrical work is being done as we speak?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.