• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

No doubt whenever testing does start they'll be criticised for whichever which way it's done.

=D

The 200 hours figure sounds way off. I know these things are tested rigorously, but that number seems outlandish. I imagine it'd be closer to 50 hours, and maybe 200 hours total testing.

That's just my guess of course. I just have a strong feeling that 200 per train is far too high, when you realise that'd be more than eight solid days. As anyone who's watched the Wodan construction video knows, Roland Mack literally rode the thing after its first few test runs.

I'm not saying it's anything like that, I just think 200 per train is wildly out. :)

I don't think 200 is that unrealistic... Doesn't each ride go through something like 100 hours worth over closed season? I remember when we went up one weekend for a few drinks at the hotels and Nemmy was just running on a constant loop for its tests.

100 hours per train was what I remember hearing. I agree 200 seems ridiculous, there's no hope of full capacity operation for mid-May if that's the case.

GaryH said:
I believe Boeing are doing the testing :) lol

OH NO, it will be grounded for exploding batteries. and i don't think the trains have batteries :D

yes, it is a joke post

Are we sure its hours and not circuits of the track? Sending it round a couple hundred times seems more realistic than sending it round for a couple hundred hours... :S

Yeah they do it normally in hours as a default industry standard as far as im aware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

On 13 opening day I asked that very question to one of the mechanics that were in the station (along with JW) he said
Track and sensors need minimum of 200 hours without a fail, the time needed per car is dependant on manufacturer but at least 50 hours each.
He then went on to tell me that 13 was an anomaly in that and needed considerably more track testing due to the drop track and that piece had over 200 hours testing before it was shipped to the UK.

Edit - Actually I think when he said 200 without fail he may have said 200 without a dangerous fail

stretchy said:
On 13 opening day I asked that very question to one of the mechanics that were in the station (along with JW) he said
Track and sensors need minimum of 200 hours without a fail, the time needed per car is dependant on manufacturer but at least 50 hours each.
He then went on to tell me that 13 was an anomaly in that and needed considerably more track testing due to the drop track and that piece had over 200 hours testing before it was shipped to the UK.

Edit - Actually I think when he said 200 without fail he may have said 200 without a dangerous fail

This is what I mean, so surly opening on the 18th is cutting it a bit fine when its going to take about 20-25 days to test. And that's relying on it being ready to run on this Saturday. Surly as it is there is allot of wiring to do and the brain of the ride still isn't finished? Track is one thing, but with something with this many blocks and lifts is going to need a pretty sophisticated system.

Probably get shot down for this but..
Can we have a seperate forum set up for "Testing". I know construction is coming to an end, but its not finished.

I don't think there's a lot of point. Besides discussing how long testing will take there's not much to say on the subject as none of us really know the full ins and outs. Stretchy has pretty much answered that question now anyway. Plus as soon as construction finishes the two topics will end up discussing the same thing.

Not that I'm against the idea if others agree we need a separate topic.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Tim said:
I don't think there's a lot of point. Besides discussing how long testing will take there's not much to say on the subject as none of us really know the full ins and outs. Stretchy has pretty much answered that question now anyway. Plus as soon as construction finishes the two topics will end up discussing the same thing.

Not that I'm against the idea if others agree we need a separate topic.

No I agree, I don't think there is need for another topic just about testing. Once track work is complete, as you say the conversation will turn straight to testing which would then make this topic abandoned if there was another topic. Just easier to keep all the talk in one topic rather than splitting it. Unless of course once construction wraps up the mods lock this topic and make another one called 'The Smiler - Testing and General Speculation' or something to split it away from the now completed construction.

Back on topic, hopefully they can get track work complete today so tomorrow they could possibly do the lift chain tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

What does everyone think of the two "inverted drops?" I think the second looks more like a zero-G than the first, although quite a few seem to disagree.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

One piece left I think - track could be complete by the end of today :) (picture from Roodlesnouter on TT)

BIij0ssCYAAO9wP.jpg:large

Normal lift hill then, but I think we all knew that deep down. Its going to be great to see the finished track on Sunday hopefully. Fingers crossed its a nice day, I think a few re-rides on Oblivion might be in order :)

Ian

Coolbeans14 said:
GaryH said:
Wonder if any of the limbs of the crash test dummies will fall off like Swarm did.

Tbh I don't think they have time to pull any stunts whatsoever, this seems like they'll be cutting it close!

Fredward said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4899603.ece

dare I say it, a very good marketing gimmick! :p

I quite enjoyed that.

EDIT: forgot about marketing discussion, reposted there...

Umm, you were saying about marketing gimmics? lol

Apparently the lift hill is all in place, bar one piece which appears like it is just about to be capped off.

Source - TTF with pictures.

Johno said:
Apparently the lift hill is all in place, bar one piece which appears like it is just about to be capped off.

Source - TTF with pictures.

601657_473323716071411_653529202_n.jpg

Last piece waiting to be lifted and fitted, exciting :D

Taken from TS Facebook page.

All very exciting today! I expect all the stuff such as putting the wires in place shouldn't take too long! Very strong feeling that this will open on the 18th of May!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.