• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Game Discussion

One of the main things I have seen is people dismiss the idea of a launch just because it isn't technically on the game.

But it wouldn't be on the game as a launch type effect is an integral part of the game-play and is gained as you go around the track. Anyway, I think a launch into the first lift hill is a good possibility still. :)

I know Craig posted a link a few pages back although there is an update for the game I've just seen and it is now compatible the Nexus 7. :)

I made a video of me playing it, with all the upgrades! I don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone who wants to play through the game themselves so be warned, it has the whole thing upgraded in the game!

Linky:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F461KHId-lc

Also, remember that the game isn't a full on interpretation of the ride before you start pulling it apart. ;)

Ok, for some reason the game crashes every time I get to the bit where it all goes a bit mad with all the effects.

I love this game! Still haven't won anything on the wheel of win - ill keep on trying ;)

Version Update 1.02 - 1st March

New images added to the Smiler scanner...

Plus readable text on one of the CCTV cameras, which was previously unclear...

:twirly: :twirly: :twirly: EYECON SECURITY :twirly: :twirly: :twirly:

I've completed the thing now, and I feel the need to reiterate that it is cack.

Think about it, if this game was based on anything other than a rollercoaster how long would it have held your attention? Imagine for a second that it was a really blocky/low res driving game, and the 'upgrades' added a roundabout or a sharp bend to the course. You would be bored in minutes if not seconds.

Skill is non existant. I don't get it. I can try my hardest or just click start and leave my phone on the coffee table for a few minutes, and my score will be a few thousand points lower if that.

The only thing that kept me interested long enough to upgrade everything was the massive tease that is the 'wheel of win,' but I've now grown bored of watching that needle tip 1mm over the win section ten times a day as well.

I can't imagine anyone other than an enthusiast downloading this thing and for that reason I declare it a total failure.

Flame away. :p

All the non-enthusiasts I've shown the game to were really intrigued and loved the look of it, and thought it was a cool new marketing stance from Towers.

I'm no gamer but I really enjoy playing this, not just because it's Towers, but also because (like a few others on here) I'm quite useless at it, and so enjoy trying to better my score! :)

Dean said:
Version Update 1.02 - 1st March

New images added to the Smiler scanner...

Plus readable text on one of the CCTV cameras, which was previously unclear...

:twirly: :twirly: :twirly: EYECON SECURITY :twirly: :twirly: :twirly:

Any idea what the new images were? I've noticed of you visit the Smiler website and scan the logo at the top is animated, not sure if it did this since the first version only tried it last night!

Have to say for all my recent criticism of the giant yellow feather dusters - I have to defend the game here.

It is free, has prizes, doesn't want to know everything your phone does all the time, and is far better than some of the awful apps that make it into the top charts.

Did I miss out it is free? Not plastered with adverts AND gives stuff away - no matter how fixed that wheel may be.

The fact is, that giving it grief because it isn't graphically brilliant and saying you wouldn't like it if it wasn't about roller coasters is pretty daft - a bit like saying, you wouldn't like Rammstein (seem to be flavour of the moment lol) if they wrote music like One Direction. The coaster is the concept and context of the app - if this was the first driving game that came out, then you wouldn't critique in comparison to hundreds of other driving games.

Context is always key.

This is simply a bonus, and to my knowledge it certainly hasn't been done before, and whilst geared clearly towards marketing the ride, is far better than some generic update application filled with adverts and up-selling.

I think it is clear I am annoyed about aspects of this ride, I have to say though, the game is a fantastic bit of fun, and the wheel of win whilst being brilliantly named (if not, entirely accurate) is a real bonus feature and someone will get some super nice prizes.

And it also has, for absolutely no good reason other than fun, the AR aspect which is quite honestly very creepy - freaked a few people out that has ;D - really there was just no need to add that other than to provide great fun, and it does.

My main gripe about The Smiler is it is too slapstick for X-Sector, really only further highlighted by the game, but the game very brilliantly portrays that sense of fun.

They have given me this, not forced it upon me, nor made me pay, neither are there catches or any other annoyances most free apps have.

Sorry, nothing but absolute love from me on this one <3 (which may be strange if you read me on the SW7 topic yesterday ha-ha!!)

I'm absolutely terrible at this game but, I think that makes me love it just a little bit more.

Usually promotional games tend to be dumbed down a little bit to enable anyone & everyone to play. I find myself enjoying the challenge - frustrating as it is at times.

I'm happy with the game and, it's a clever bit of marketing from Towers. Win, win!

TheMan said:
The fact is, that giving it grief because it isn't graphically brilliant and saying you wouldn't like it if it wasn't about roller coasters is pretty daft - a bit like saying, you wouldn't like Rammstein (seem to be flavour of the moment lol) if they wrote music like One Direction.

But.. but but...it would be quite surreal, seeing scary germans surrounded by fire singing "you light up my life like nobody else"

TheMan said:
Have to say for all my recent criticism of the giant yellow feather dusters - I have to defend the game here.

It is free, has prizes, doesn't want to know everything your phone does all the time, and is far better than some of the awful apps that make it into the top charts.

Did I miss out it is free? Not plastered with adverts AND gives stuff away - no matter how fixed that wheel may be.

The privacy settings and that fact that it is free is lovely, but it doesn't make it a good game.

The fact is, that giving it grief because it isn't graphically brilliant and saying you wouldn't like it if it wasn't about roller coasters is pretty daft - a bit like saying, you wouldn't like Rammstein (seem to be flavour of the moment lol) if they wrote music like One Direction. The coaster is the concept and context of the app - if this was the first driving game that came out, then you wouldn't critique in comparison to hundreds of other driving games.

Context is always key.

I'm not seeing this comparison at all. If Rammstein made music that in any way resembled One Direction then no... I wouldn't like them anymore, they'd be awful. The same as if One Direction put on a stunning stage show full of pyrotechnics, I'd still say that they were utter dross.

Maybe I'm just very out of touch with the whole app market. I don't usually touch mobile gaming and was under the impression that it had reached a standard that perhaps it hasn't. I would never knock a game just because of the graphics, but I found everything about the gameplay so mind numblingly basic.

I don't doubt that it's a good marketing move or that it's a good five minute time waster, but as a 'game' I found it about as entertaining as a block of wood. Now excuse me whilst I go and spin that stupid frickin wheel another 9 times.... :p

Novas said:
Maybe I'm just very out of touch with the whole app market. I don't usually touch mobile gaming and was under the impression that it had reached a standard that perhaps it hasn't. I would never knock a game just because of the graphics, but I found everything about the gameplay so mind numblingly basic.

not that I disagree. But welcome to mobile gaming! Home of Angry Birds!

Yeah I think that's generally mobile gaming, the only mobile game that I found truly visually stunning is The Room.

For a free app this is much better than most of its competition, and based on downloads it seems to be popular beyond Towers fans. I really like it though, its addictive.

I thought the only problem with the game is longevity. They should of made unlocking everything harder, once I unlocked everything my drive to play the game ran out, that only really took me an hour or so... probably less. Should of made all inversion a separate unlock, maybe added more levels to the marmilser.

There are certainly worse games available on mobile though. But simplistic gameplay is what does it for phone games, it's not called toilet gaming for nothing! ;)

Fredward said:
I thought the only problem with the game is longevity. They should of made unlocking everything harder,

Yes that is true it was VERY easy to unlock everything. But then, does the game play really lend itself to a very hard long process - I am not so sure.

Novas said:
Maybe I'm just very out of touch with the whole app market. I don't usually touch mobile gaming and was under the impression that it had reached a standard that perhaps it hasn't.

No, it really isn't brilliant lol! In fact, the AR feature is probably the most advanced I have seen on a free game. The markets are saturated with real dross, and whilst this is hardly a stand out game, given the context it is pretty decent by all accounts.

There are better out there, but there are many, many more that in my opinion are far, far worse - some of which people actually pay real digital money for!

There are some great games around but on the whole not really - if they were that great, people wouldn't download emulators - perhaps there is an area for you too explore ;)

PS2 on my phone? Er - ok then!