• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

I'm more curious as to why someone seems like they're going to list every reported breakdown on the page...

I know it's the school holidays, but, really? It such a thing needed?

well me and the mrs finally got on the smiler, very good ride, but i still personally think saw at thorpe park is better has more intensity.

but just wonder not sure if its a coincidence but since then i've had a dull headache in the back of my head and the mrs has had migraines anyone else had this since riding the smiler ?

but could be just a coincidence and were both ill.

thanks.

The 'Ride Troubles' section does seem a bit OTT. Only three of the eight points in it are worth mentioning. Imagine how ridiculous the pages for Air or even Th13teen would be if they had something similar?

Still, it's always going to look bad if someone working for the company that owns and operates the attraction tries to stop people from listing anything negative about the ride. I'm pretty sure nobody high up at Merlin would agree with such an idea.

It would of looked better if they added a line at the top of ride troubles along the lines of
"As with complex machines, they do have teething troubles" than removing the list of problems.

Benzin said:
I'm more curious as to why someone seems like they're going to list every reported breakdown on the page...

I know it's the school holidays, but, really? It such a thing needed?

I have no idea who keeps adding them, it is massively over the top given that ride breakdowns are completely normal and happen to every ride. Try and remove them though and your edits will be reverted very quickly.

Anyone know what this is about?
7aju3e3y.jpg

On ride DVD being launched perhaps?

It is most likely to be the on-ride videos.

It would be pretty interesting if the images were sent to the Marmaliser for all to see but I highly doubt that it would happen.

After riding The Smiler for the first time in over a month yesterday, I have come to my final conclusion on the ride.

It is a good ride and a great addition to the park. The public seems to love it which is the main thing. However it isn't the easiest ride to enjoy. You have to brace yourself at many different points in the ride for the various different jolts or uncomfortable movements. This means that you focus more on bracing yourself than enjoying the elements that you are passing through. Yesterday we all came off The Smiler with very sore shoulders, and this persisted for a while after riding. Rides like Nemesis or Blue Fire for example allow you just to sit freely and enjoy what the coaster does, I cannot do this with The Smiler.

Also, I have never heard such an horrendous rattling noise on a coaster as I did yesterday. Throughout the whole ride the row behind sounded awful, I'm almost certain this can't be normal and I've never heard anything like it on any other coaster I have been on.

:)

I genuinely believe that a serious incident will occur on this ride sometime in the near future.

I'm no expert obviously, but how they can 'fix' the issue of track splitting without major structural work is beyond me. The way the trains crawl through the inversions as well is clearly not right and is almost painful to watch.

Really it's difficult to appreciate this ride beyond the adrenaline rush it provides because the design was just so rushed and the construction bodged. I think it has changed X-Sector from an area with a tired but coherent theme to one with a confusing mess of different ideas.

Hats off to the marketing department though, they really have created a strong brand and identity for The Smiler in a way which we havn't seen since Oblivion.

The answer to the above question is they cannot.

They've effectively forced it back together, the only difference now is that they know the areas of stress better and can conduct monitoring.

For me, they have to conduct major restructuring or reprofiling during the closed season to rectify the problems completely.

Rob said:
After riding The Smiler for the first time in over a month yesterday, I have come to my final conclusion on the ride.

It is a good ride and a great addition to the park. The public seems to love it which is the main thing. However it isn't the easiest ride to enjoy. You have to brace yourself at many different points in the ride for the various different jolts or uncomfortable movements. This means that you focus more on bracing yourself than enjoying the elements that you are passing through. Yesterday we all came off The Smiler with very sore shoulders, and this persisted for a while after riding. Rides like Nemesis or Blue Fire for example allow you just to sit freely and enjoy what the coaster does, I cannot do this with The Smiler.

Also, I have never heard such an horrendous rattling noise on a coaster as I did yesterday. Throughout the whole ride the row behind sounded awful, I'm almost certain this can't be normal and I've never heard anything like it on any other coaster I have been on.

exactly the same thinking as me :twirly:

I think it depends on the person. I love the ride and don't find it rough hardly at all. I know the exit out out the cobra roll/staffordshire knot (whatever its called) it a bit bumpy, but seriously guys, give The Ultimate or Goudrix a go before calling this rough!!!