• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Wilsy said:
QTXAdsy said:
Ah, lap bars...Merlin and Alton...you are a bunch of bampots for not giving it that treatment. :mad:

Perhaps it wasn't Alton or Merlin's decision and they were advised otherwise by a greater power?

For example, I'd imagine the Health and Safety Executive take great interest in how the UK's number one theme park operates.

I find it hard to believe H&S would have insisted that a model built to use "lap bars" (and let's be honest, lap bars hardly means what it used to does it?) had to use OTSRs.

There is a difference however between hard to believe, and it not happening.

Also, would the body actually be able to brace itself suitably for all those tight twists and turns with lap bars alone? I definitely wish it had them though.

Maybe the lapbars are a subtle hint....perhaps Merlin have changed their minds? :p

Alastair said:
Maybe the lapbars are a subtle hint....perhaps Merlin have changed their minds? :p

Merlin actually listening to our suggestions?!

Impossible! :p

James said:
Changing restraint types is more of a thing I expect Thorpe to do. ;)

That's what made me think that. Thorpe I agree are a more likely candidate for that kind of a transformation, but they are both Merlin parks, and what better way to spice up a low investment family year?

Alastair said:
James said:

That's what made me think that. Thorpe I agree are a more likely candidate for that kind of a transformation, but they are both Merlin parks, and what better way to spice up a low investment family year?

I just saw a pig with wings!

TheMan said:
Alastair said:
James said:

I just saw a pig with wings!

I know, I know. Nothing like being optimistic though ;)

Especially depressing when every coaster and its dog in every corner of the world features lapbars now.

I find it strange the UK hasn't embraced lap bars yet. Especially Alton Towers which many parks view as the leader of the UK theme park industry!

We can hope for SW8 I suppose (that's assuming SW8 will be another thrill coaster).

James said:
I find it strange the UK hasn't embraced lap bars yet. Especially Alton Towers which many parks view as the leader of the UK theme park industry!

We can hope for SW8 I suppose (that's assuming SW8 will be another thrill coaster).

Well if it is the infamous 4D B&M I personally hope it HASN'T got lap bars!! ;D

The British pioneering spirit is being lost though, and sanitised. Once upon a time, we'd have been the first to attempt lap bars from string and sellotape made in a shed. Now we're told apparently we don't like woodies, despite BPB trading on theirs for how many decades?

Industry run by clueless bean counting pen pushers, bar a few notable exceptions.

If they could "Cut, Copy, Paste" a coaster from one park to another they most likely would.

It pains me so much that The Smiler does not have lap bars, especially after seeing that the trains on the model do. I really do think it would have made a vast improvement.

:)

Do you think Gerst are selling clones of The Smiler then, or just showcasing it? If they are hoping to build more '2nd gen' eurofighters, they would do well to make a custom coaster half as interesting as The Smiler. Hopefully The Smiler's layout is patented though, or some agreement is in place to prevent clones (like Sheikra etc.)

The Smiler is actually classed by Gerst as a new brand of ride for them. It's an 'Infinity Coaster' and the stock layout for the ride on their website is that of The Smiler.

So although The Smiler was a custom ride, it's layout now appears to be Gerst's standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Gerst would not sell clones of The Smiler, it probably states in their contract with Merlin that the coaster layout must stay unique to Towers and not used elsewhere. Some elements of The Smiler though probably come as a part of the Infinity package when other parks look at purchasing the model.

TheMan said:
Once upon a time, we'd have been the first to attempt lap bars from string and sellotape made in a shed.

Even though I laughed at that line... it's most likely true! ;)

Yeah, I highly doubt that this layout is going to be available to the mass market. If anything, The Smiler is more of a portfolio piece for Gerst to show off just what is possible with this coaster type.

Just reading up on the 'Infinity Coaster' from Gerst and there are some interesting points.

Our newly designed T-lap bars lock hydraulically and can be adjusted infinitely. This enables even children with a body height of only 1.25m to experience the Infinity Coaster.
Like the model I presume, but why oh why didn't The Smiler get them :'( screw you GP's false & unjustified opinions!

The versatile coaster is available with individual cars for 8 riders as well as with trains holding up to 32 riders.
Double the throughput would be nice, although;
...our 90° lift is navigable for trains composed of maximum 4 rows (16 riders).
So not really possible.

The Infinity Coaster is available with chain lift as well as with LSM-Launch – or both! The chain lift is avaible with lift hills of differnet angles.
Would a launch really improve The Smiler though... Maybe on the first lifthill :/

A new feature of our lift system is the magnetic, silent, safety chain dog system that lowers the vehicles backwards in case of a power loss. That ensures a quick, safe and comfortable evacuation of the riders in case of emergency right at the bottom of the lift hill.
Which is obviously a USP for Gerst. Good for them, we know it works, we've seen it happen enough ( too many ) times.

Source: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/infinity-coaster/

smudge said:
A new feature of our lift system is the magnetic, silent, safety chain dog system that lowers the vehicles backwards in case of a power loss. That ensures a quick, safe and comfortable evacuation of the riders in case of emergency right at the bottom of the lift hill.
Which is obviously a USP for Gerst. Good for them, we know it works, we've seen it happen enough ( too many ) times.

the only good thing to come out of the smilers techincal problems, is we know the magnetic chain dog system is well tested :D

Ignore me if I'm wrong but it hasn't been tested yet though has it? The breakdowns on the vertical lift as far as I'm aware have just resulted in a controlled chain reverse down the lift where the chain simply goes into reverse and lowers the train. I thought the magnetic fins only came into action when the chain snapped or the train for some reason disengaged the chain. During the vertical lift breakdowns the train is still being held by the chain dog catch thingy that Gerstlauer's have to push the train up.

Regardless of all this, I'm still sure that in the event of a chain snap, these fins will slow the train down sufficiently enough to allow the friction brakes at the bottom of the lift to bring the train to a complete and safe stop. :D

JonoD said:
Yeah, I highly doubt that this layout is going to be available to the mass market. If anything, The Smiler is more of a portfolio piece for Gerst to show off just what is possible with this coaster type.
Although custom models are available - the exact layout of The Smiler is available as part of the Infinity Coaster'a brochure:

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/assets/d ... oaster.pdf

Scott said:
JonoD said:
Although custom models are available - the exact layout of The Smiler is available as part of the Infinity Coaster'a brochure:

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/assets/downloads/brochures/Infinity-Coaster.pdf

No one's ever going to clone The Smiler surely? It's such a custom designed coaster for the space, it'd be more awkward to copy it than to just design a new one.