• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

To me though, the word "routine" implies they knew it was going to be closed all week - running one train and then breaking down on Monday does not sound like "routine" maintenance, it sounds like an unforeseen technical issue.

‘Routine maintenance’ is the name they give to any work. If a part goes bang and they need to order a new one they will still call it ‘routine’ - it’s to stop raised eye brows and press coverage which can be skewed to make it look like the rides are unsafe if they were to mention it was unplanned.

‘Routine maintenance’ is the name they give to any work. If a part goes bang and they need to order a new one they will still call it ‘routine’ - it’s to stop raised eye brows and press coverage which can be skewed to make it look like the rides are unsafe if they were to mention it was unplanned.
I apologise I didn't know they referred to everything as routine. Maybe it'll be down for longer than I first thought then.

I think three, four or five day downtime periods are to be expected considering the major issues with supplies right now. Nemesis, Rita, Th13teen and Wicker Man have all had occasions where they've been down for a few days, so what's happening with Smiler right now is nothing new.

My feeling is that it's a new part. A few seasons back that would take about a day or so to arrive. Sadly, with today's issues, it might take about a week.

I believe the ride will almost certainly reopen at some stage this season, and I doubt it's a major problem, it's just these issues will take longer sadly.

I was about to say this, especially with the smiler they have to be so careful about what is said otherwise papers will sensationalise it

'HORROR SCENES AT ALTON TOWERS AS INFAMOUS THE SMILER RIDE BREAKS DOWN!'

then somewhere near the bottom of the text it'll say no one was on it and it was pre-opening or whatever.

I hope it's open for my visit on Saturday, particularly for my cousin as he only comes with us at Scarefest so hasn't ridden it this year yet and it's one of his favourites. I think it's now looking unlikely that it will be open, which is a shame, but it's obviously closed for a reason.

I hope it's open for my visit on Saturday, particularly for my cousin as he only comes with us at Scarefest so hasn't ridden it this year yet and it's one of his favourites. I think it's now looking unlikely that it will be open, which is a shame, but it's obviously closed for a reason.
I think it'll definitely be ready by Saturday. It's going to be a very busy weekend I imagine so if it's not open then Wicker man will well and truly pay the price

I think it'll definitely be ready by Saturday. It's going to be a very busy weekend I imagine so if it's not open then Wicker man will well and truly pay the price
I don't think we can say "definitely", but you are right in that it will be a big hit, not just to Wicker Man, but probably Oblivion as well, if it isn't open.

I don't think we can say "definitely", but you are right in that it will be a big hit, not just to Wicker Man, but probably Oblivion as well, if it isn't open.
Especially if Mixtape isn't back open as well. It's been closed for two days now.

Especially if Mixtape isn't back open as well. It's been closed for two days now.
I think Mixtape might have been down for three days as well actually, it certainly doesn't help that they're both in the same area, as we know Mixtape can also build up quite a queue.

I was about to say this, especially with the smiler they have to be so careful about what is said otherwise papers will sensationalise it

'HORROR SCENES AT ALTON TOWERS AS INFAMOUS THE SMILER RIDE BREAKS DOWN!'

then somewhere near the bottom of the text it'll say no one was on it and it was pre-opening or whatever.

I really hate this. They all do it as well. The Mirror is the worst for misleading clickbait. Some of them are just laughable. Unfortunately, some fools just read the headlines and take them as fact.

I really hate this. They all do it as well. The Mirror is the worst for misleading clickbait. Some of them are just laughable. Unfortunately, some fools just read the headlines and take them as fact.
Yeah it really irks me too. As does the fact that virtually any article about Towers mentions the accident. :mad:

Don't quote me, but I'd say it's more likely to be open than not.

Shut again for the opening of the park this morning. Don't think at this rate that it'll be ready for tommorow unfortunately

Shut again for the opening of the park this morning. Don't think at this rate that it'll be ready for tommorow unfortunately
Mixtape is still closed as well. Do they share the same transformer/power supply?

Edit: Blivvy's closed as well atm. That's 3 out of 4 XS rides down! :oops: