• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

I have to say, The Smiler does look rather cool the way it is stylised on that poster :) but I still think its the name of the logo :p

Maybe soon we'll be seeing posters of the spider with 'The Inoculator' written underneath...?

For all we know, someone could've put these up themselves just to trick people!

I'm not really bothered what the name is as long as it links to the ride and as long as the ride itself is good!

Has anyone thought we could be barking up the wrong tree? The 'Mr Twirly' might be called The Smiler.........I personally doubt it but they move in mysterious ways :)

What Josh said ;)

Scott said:
What's quite interesting is how small 'the' is on the poster. The attention is definitely on 'Smiler'

If it is the name - I can see it being called 'Smiler' way more than 'The Smiler'

Regardless of how small the "the" is, it wouldn't be there if they didn't intend it to be included in the actual name. I'd be surprised if this was the name reveal, it strikes me as odd that their great spectacular reveal is putting it on a few posters under some grotty bridge.

I think the image of the posters is real, but I think they are fake. It seems illogical to attach a name to the logo less than a week after starting an effective viral campaign with the face only.

If this is legitimate then :( I think it's an absolutely abysmal name. I rather liked The Innoculator.

Josh said:
I have to say, The Smiler does look rather cool the way it is stylised on that poster :) but I still think its the name of the logo :p

Maybe soon we'll be seeing posters of the spider with 'The Inoculator' written underneath...?

That would seriously confuse the public, they will link the logo to the ride, and should it have a different name that is mentioned prominently in the advertising, it would cause confusion as to the branding of the ride. Same if they advertised the spider with the name 'The Innoculator', especially since Towers2Go exclusively broke the news that it won't be the name.

I think the image of the posters is real, but I think they are fake. It seems illogical to attach a name to the logo less than a week after starting an effective viral campaign with the face only.

They could have been put up early by mistake? At least that's what I'm thinking. They probably weren't meant to be put up for another week at least.

Awful name, I actually love "The Innoculator" as a name, sounds better than the Smiler.

There's no website/QR code on the poster, that also leads me to think that they are fake.

Josh said:

This.

Maybe they are advertising the "treatments" available at the facility? The Smiler this week, The Inoculator next week and then a name reveal at the beginning of February?

[SW7] Marketing discussion

All the proposed names I've seen are utter crap. They sound like cheap, run-down excuses for a thrill ride, let alone an cutting edge, brand new coaster, that costs £18 million.

I hate it.

i really dont think AT would leak the name on a poster before the 'big reveal'... i think (i hope) its a red herring!

Tom said:
There's no website/QR code on the poster, that also leads me to think that they are fake.

I thought this aswell, but it does say Alton Towers Resort at the bottom, surely that means if they are fake, that AT can take legal action as whoever did this is mis-representing the Resort?

Well I've now studied the image and I think that it is a Photoshop. There is a crease in the bottom right poster and the font does not seem to match its profile.

Tom said:

That...actually makes sense. There's been QR codes on all the posters so far, except this - the one that has the name.

Hmm...maybe it is fake? I don't understand why anyone would go that much out of their way to fake the name of a ride that will be revealed in a few days anyway.

You could just envisage some grey figure in a large, branded "Lightwater Valley" trenchcoat pasting up posters in the middle of the night, looking around shiftily before hastily departing when complete. ;)

Josh said:
Tom said:

I thought this aswell, but it does say Alton Towers Resort at the bottom, surely that means if they are fake, that AT can take legal action as whoever did this is mis-representing the Resort?

Theoretically I guess, but I don't think they'd ever do that. It's all free advertising and interest-generating. Despite their bitching sometimes, they simply sit back and laugh while enthusiasts run around sending things viral these days.

I'm guessing this was taken outside Shepherds Bush Market? I'm actually tempted to go down there right now and see if it's there up close!

It's under a bridge outside Shepherds Bush Market, by all means pop down, it be great to see more images! :)

AshleeKel said:
I'm guessing this was taken outside Shepherds Bush Market? I'm actually tempted to go down there right now and see if it's there up close!

Go on, for us ;)

But I have no idea if that's where it is and wouldn't want you to waste a trip haha.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.