• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

Well if we want to know if they are fake or not, we know what to do... tweet the photo to AT and ask them :p

My view on it is QR codes were used in the initial advertising to encourage those who were tech savvy to scan it, find it was Alton Towers and talk about it on social media etc. The second phase of the campaign is a bit more blatant. Tell people it's at Alton Towers, get them to search for it online, it also lets the press reveal the answer to the whole #creepysheep campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a third version which perhaps includes a website address or something?

Tom said:
AshleeKel said:
I'm guessing this was taken outside Shepherds Bush Market? I'm actually tempted to go down there right now and see if it's there up close!

Go on, for us ;)

But I have no idea if that's where it is and wouldn't want you to waste a trip haha.

I think it might be - I can see its on the Hammersmith & City line and the station begins with 'Sh'.

Bit too tired to go, but I'm so curious. Also, it would be a 2 hour round trip, just to see a poster.

Tom said:
Josh said:
Tom said:
There's no website/QR code on the poster, that also leads me to think that they are fake.

I thought this aswell, but it does say Alton Towers Resort at the bottom, surely that means if they are fake, that AT can take legal action as whoever did this is mis-representing the Resort?

Theoretically I guess, but I don't think they'd ever do that. It's all free advertising and interest-generating. Despite their bitching sometimes, they simply sit back and laugh while enthusiasts run around sending things viral these days.

The Doctor Kelman Twitter page was taken down for posting misleading information... so you never know.

In my eyes, the way that the poster is styled makes me think of "The Smiler" more of a character than the name of the ride.

I almost expect to see posters for "The Innoculator" etc, etc.

I don't mind too much if its the name of the ride though :)

Josh said:
Tom said:
Josh said:
Tom said:
There's no website/QR code on the poster, that also leads me to think that they are fake.

I thought this aswell, but it does say Alton Towers Resort at the bottom, surely that means if they are fake, that AT can take legal action as whoever did this is mis-representing the Resort?

Theoretically I guess, but I don't think they'd ever do that. It's all free advertising and interest-generating. Despite their bitching sometimes, they simply sit back and laugh while enthusiasts run around sending things viral these days.

The Doctor Kelman Twitter page was taken down for posting misleading information... so you never know.

That's still active as far as I can tell.

I don't think they'd ever like to 'make an example' of one of their greatest customers (an enthusiast), even if they find activity annoying from time to time.

The park are very keen to have the account taken down, however, as it ties in closely with their marketing strategy but has misleading information (such as the random pictures of coasters which aren't SW7) and therefore potentially detrimental to the brand.

It's similar to when fan pages answer customer questions in an official manner on AT's Facebook, if they were to give inaccurate information and the customer took it as an official answer from the park it detriments their image.

whilst it really wouldnt suprise me if this is the name, i doubt AT would release these posters prior to a press release.

I get the impression The Smiler and The Innoculater are 'parts' of the ride

Somebody replied to me on YouTube saying that "the ride has a name its called "The Smiler" I e-mailed Alton Towers and that's what they told me". Although I don't know if thats true but what the hey... :(

Magrathea said:
The park are very keen to have the account taken down, however, as it ties in closely with their marketing strategy but has misleading information (such as the random pictures of coasters which aren't SW7) and therefore potentially detrimental to the brand.

It's similar to when fan pages answer customer questions in an official manner on AT's Facebook, if they were to give inaccurate information and the customer took it as an official answer from the park it detriments their image.

Their social networking is undermanned and/or lackluster considering how many visitors the park has and how popular it is. You could have someone answering questions all the time and dispelling any unofficial things quite easily if they really wanted to.

Joseph said:
Somebody replied to me on YouTube saying that "the ride has a name its called "The Smiler" I e-mailed Alton Towers and that's what they told me". Although I don't know if thats true but what the hey... :(

Even if the ride IS called The Smiler (I think it will be), that person is clearly lying. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Alton Towers were freely giving that information away.

I really don't like the name "Smiler" or "The Smiler" I also hope they call it something else as it just sounds so cheap.

Joseph said:

if thats true im emailing alton towers and asking them what the secret element is!! ;)

clolossus said:
Joseph said:

if thats true im emailing alton towers and asking them what the secret element is!! ;)

hell i am asking them for access to all there archives, plans (past and future) the lot!

I don't really understand why people are *so* against this possibly being the name...

As a bit of a question to everyone who doesn't like it - what would you call it instead? And answering 'The Innoculator' is a cop out :p Come up with a name from scratch and a reason why you prefer it :)

We don't know anything about the ride's story at the moment anyway - the name might be integral to the story and theme and it could yet prove to be cleverer than people think.

I think this is almost certainly genuine. I just can't believe that the viral campaign has only lasted a week, it feels such a waste. I'm sure they have more things planned but what they've done over the last week has been fantastic. I just feel so underwhelmed right now.

As for The Smiler, it has grown on me a lot and I think it's quite sinister. I would rather them have gone for a name that does require "the" before it though, as The Smiler isn't a patch on Nemesis, Oblivion or Air for example. Though Ironically I think The Smiler is better than just Smiler.

:)

Very nice...

smilerbigben.jpg

From this video by the way:

Get Corrected

Maybe they've done a Th13teen:

The designers have come up with a ride themed around Inoculation and so have called it The Innoculator.

The Marketing department have come up with a snazzy logo and so called the ride The Smiler.

But rather than talk to each other they've decided just to do their own thing, leaving Alton Towers with another mess of a ride.

;)

Random question, would AT need permission to project these images onto buildings?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.